Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,327 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it wears the finish why is it a great material for holsters?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Comp-tac's minotaur IWB are hybrid leather/kydex. the leather is against your body making them more comfy. I have a minotaur and a c-tac, they both work great, but the minotaur is more comfortable for all day carry.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I e-mailed comp-tac and they don't have many holsters that will fir revolvers. The 2 O'clock is one that does fit the SP101 so that's why it was one of my choices. Never carried at 2 O'clock but seems like it would be comfortable.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I use a C-Tac from comp-tac and have had excellent results. Kydex is fine for gun finishes as long as it's done right and Comp-Tac does it right.

Any holster will buff a guns finish if you're practicing like you should.

You can as mentioned above, go with a hybrid from Comp-Tac that is both leather and kydex.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Because all holsters will wear the finish of a handgun! That is an unavoidable fact of handgun carry life. What really produces wear on a handgun is accumulated dirt in a holster. Keeping a holster clean and free of dirt will materially assist in reducing finish wear on your handgun. Pure kydex (not kydex-leather hybrids) can be easily kept clean by putting it in the top of a dishwasher and voila! the holster is clean. So, Kydex is a great material for holsters.

Leather is just not as easy to keep clean and exerts its own kind of finish wear.

As to comfort while wearing kydex let me address the OP in which the 2 O'Clock Carry was mentioned. Had one for about a year now and use it to carry a 2", hammerless, Ruger SP-101 and find it to be exceedingly comfortable. I do, in fact, carry it at 2 O'Clock on a good gun belt and it works very well indeed.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Because all holsters will wear the finish of a handgun! That is an unavoidable fact of handgun carry life. What really produces wear on a handgun is accumulated dirt in a holster. Keeping a holster clean and free of dirt will materially assist in reducing finish wear on your handgun. Pure kydex (not kydex-leather hybrids) can be easily kept clean by putting it in the top of a dishwasher and voila! the holster is clean. So, Kydex is a great material for holsters.

Leather is just not as easy to keep clean and exerts its own kind of finish wear.

As to comfort while wearing kydes let me address the OP in which the 2 O'Clock Carry was mentioned. Had one for about a year now and use it to carry a 2", hammerless, Ruger SP-101 and find it to be exceedingly comfortable. I do, in fact, carry it at 2 O'Clock on a good gun belt and it works very well indeed.

Just don't use the dry cycle, use the air dry cycle. Some of the dish washer dry cycles will turn your kydex into pop art.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thx Dairycreek, I think that's what I'm going to get. Worth a try for $60

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I carry my G27 almost daily at 2:00 with this C-Tac - No problems.

G27 C-Tac.jpg

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
It is generally more low maintenance, durable in some ways and believed to be much quicker on the draw. Some folks dont care about the finish at it is a carry gun, and a tool like any thing else. Like others have said it can be washed with soap and water.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love the comp-tac IWB, i use them for my glock 22 and 1911. i personall find it alot better that any leather holster. it holds shape once the weapon is drawn for easier re-holstering. i couldnt be happier with the design, material, and ease of use from the holsters:congrats::hand10:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use an Infidel with my XDsc and I'm pretty happy with it. I've never tried an IWB leather holster though, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Another Comp-Tac fan. I use a MTAC Neutral Cant for my Kahr P9 in the appendix position. Very comfortable. I have a 2 O'clock for my Kel-Tec .380 also.

I've got a MTAC for my Springfield 1911 also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Two Two-O'clocks

I use a Comp-tac Two O'Clock daily to carry either a Taurus 85 concealed-hammer snubbie or my Para Carry 6.45 1911. They are easy on-and-off holsters and serve me well. However, I ordered a custom belt clip for each holster to make the guns to ride a little lower on the waistline because of "flopping" issues, especially with the Para, being a heavier firearm. If you sit down alot, placement of the holster is crucial to comfort, but it can't be beat for concealability.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
CompTac makes excellent holsters, especially for the price.

And Kydex doesnt wear the finish any more than leather, the newer finishes in particular.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have a Desantis Scorpion and a Comp-tac Infidel. These are both all Kydex. The scorpion was comfortable right away and after a few days so was the Infidel. You get used to them just like anything else. I also have the Com-tac MTAC which has a leather backing, also comfortable.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Guys, I'm subscribing to this thread. I've got a snubbie Taurus 851SSUL which I love to hate :smile:. I'm switching from an ankle rig to a IWB 2 o-clock position. I want something I can tilt at about a 45 degree, barrel towards winkie in the 2 o-clock position for sitting. I couldn't tell if the comp-tac tilts, it looks fixed in the pics. Anyone know? Thanks, Bill.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts