Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just joined up here, looking around. This past weekend I took my CCW training, and am now awaiting the authorization from the Sheriffs office. Now Im all excited about carry, and glad I found this site.

Ok, so, I took my .357 magnum Smith and Wesson 4" Highway patrolman to qualify with, which worked wonderfully for me. I really like the 357, especially this one. I feel i will be comfortable carrying it in the winter, with plenty of clothes for concealment, but now im thinking about best options for a compact snubbie 357 for the summer. Any ideas? Taurus or Rossi any good? Charter Arms? Thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I like the Ruger SP101 for my compact 357 needs. It's not exactly a compact.... but its about as small as I want to go when it comes to firing 357s.

Not many people carry compact 357 revolvers. Compact, light weight 357's are not fun to shoot with 357's. I think most people shoot 38's out of them.

A really good summer time alternative is a S&W 642 (or 442). A nice, light weight 5 shot revolver that can handle 38+P ammo. Slips right in your pocket.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
SP101 is my suggestion. It's not light, but it handles well and it's built like a tank. It's what I have carried for a long time.

The lighter you go in the gun, the more felt recoil you end up with. You end up trying to balance the carry weight with how much recoil you can handle to practice with the gun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Colt magnum carry if your lucky enough to find one. They offer six rounds and more weight than the small smiths. They're pretty pricey but are great guns.

·
Registered
208 Posts
+1 for the Ruger SP101. It's what my wife carries.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you can find one a S&W Model 19 ( or 66) 2-1/2" bbl with the round grip frame, may be something you might like. You cannot go wrong with the Ruger SP101 either.

·
Registered
233 Posts
A S&W model 60 is a .357 and fairly small. Can be pocket carried or IWB for conceal carry. Look at one of those. If you want the hammerless option the S&W 340 PD is also an option. Personally I like the hammerless options for concealed carry. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
K frame .357 snubbies

I think the best compact .357s for carry are the S&W models 19 (blue) or 66 (stainless). These 6 shot guns are heavy enough to easily handle .357 recoil, but compact enough to easily conceal. They have excellent triggers in DA or SA, with adjustable sights.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I think the best compact .357s for carry are the S&W models 19 (blue) or 66 (stainless). These 6 shot guns are heavy enough to easily handle .357 recoil, but compact enough to easily conceal. They have excellent triggers in DA or SA, with adjustable sights.

I concur, for magnums, a K frame is the smallest for me, J frames are a bit tiny for the hotter 357 load.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have a S&W model 65 3" round butt that is comfortable to carry & conceals well.

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
Another vote for 2.5" K-frames... my 66-1 2.5" is one of my favorite carry guns.

In j-frame, the Model 60 or 640 smiths are good or Taurus 605. All steel and easier recoil that those light weight jobies with 357 rounds.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sp 101

If you are really serious about carrying a .357 with Magnum loads use the SP 101 and buy a set of Hogue grips! I can run a combat course with this combo. I have a 340 S&W, .357's are a bad idea in a gun this light, it gets fed .38 +P+.
Be advised that you will lose 150-250 FPS in velocity and 100-150 FtLbs of ME from a snub 357. It's really more like a 9mm +P ballistically.
Was that heresy? LOL:hand5:

·
Registered
76 Posts
My personal carry is an SP101 2.25" bbl .357 magnum. It has served its purpose very well as a CC firearm. Target practice with .38s is a joy and shooting .357s is easily manageable, although I normally do not put more than 30 or so rounds of .357 during a range session. The weight, which is nice when shooting the magnums, almost disappears with a good holster and gun belt combo.

The Smith K frame varieties also look very nice, though their price tag put them a little out of my reach.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Take a lookat the S&W 386. 7 rounds and night sights. S&W mod 60 or Ruger SP 101 next choices.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Here's another vote for a S&W 19 or 66 snub. Best all around revolver and round ever invented IMO. Easy to pack and conceal and have great DA/SA triggers. The Ruger's a great gun but needs trigger work IMO. The S&W's will retain if not go up in value also. Another plus is their adjustable sights which allow you to shoot any bullet weight without finding the right load that will shoot to POI. They are also better in the accuracy dept. over a fixed sighted weapon if you need to take a longer shot, due to their better sights.

THEY were the revolver every LEO wanted and still have a great following.

If you go the "J" frame route I can highly recommend the 60-10 with it's 3" barrel. Great little carry gun. Little stout with .357's but managable with practice. A big plus with the 3" barrel is the longer ejector rod, which gives you positive ejection of spent cases with hot loads. It's a really fun gun to shoot with 38's and like the 19 or 66 is very accurate. I have Uncle Mikes grips on mine which improve your sight picture and absorb recoil big time over stock grips.

19-4 2.5"

60-10 (the stainless one)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Pogo2, what are the grips you have on that Model 19?

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you are really serious about carrying a .357 with Magnum loads use the SP 101 and buy a set of Hogue grips! I can run a combat course with this combo. I have a 340 S&W, .357's are a bad idea in a gun this light, it gets fed .38 +P+.
Be advised that you will lose 150-250 FPS in velocity and 100-150 FtLbs of ME from a snub 357. It's really more like a 9mm +P ballistically.
Was that heresy? LOL:hand5:
Find me a 9x19mm pistol, especially one the size of a SP101, that can throw bullets weighing 158-173 grains at 1100+ fps or a 200 grain bullet at 1050+ fps, and I'll agree with you. My 2 1/4" SP101 can do just that, I've chronographed them myself.

Another +1 for the SP101 from me, its a great little revolver. I carry one of mine daily.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Another vote here for a K-frame model 66, I love my 66-1, easy to conceal, handles great. You could look for a L-frame 686 plus with a 3" barrel, just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
A decent K frame in stainless will be about $600 and in blued about $500 and up, but well worth it in my opinion. Plus there are great holsters for it out there.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts