Defensive Carry banner

Compact DA 45. What are my options?

5K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  TonyW 
#1 ·
I know about the Taurus Milennium (haven't seen one yet), and the Kimber Raptor (outta my price range/SA). What others are there. Double action only-no single action. I've heard about the AMT Backup and will avoid it. What others are there? Must be lots. Nothing too thick. I have a USP and it's kinda large for pocket, IWB, etc. carry

#3 · (Edited)
What's your price range?

The Para LDA's are fine DA hand gun's and the triggers are sweet for a DA. I don't have one cause I like SA but a friend does and I was surprised with the LDA trigger and it is a good looking gun too.

I also had heard good things about the Taurus Milennium as well, never fired one. HK is another good choice but a little pricy but what isn't right? the Kahr's is are a nice chioce too.

The Para LDA would be my top choice for me and then the Kahr! the Kahr trigger isn't as nice.

Ti.

#4 ·
HK USP45 compact(DAO)
Sig Sauer P245(still thinking if I'm going to get this)
Glock 30 & 36
Kahr makes a compact 45(DAO)

Glocks are advertised as DAO but they are truely SA! So is Kahr!

#6 ·
...and 1911 Officer's ACP and the different CCO configured guns by the likes of Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson, Wilson Combat, SA and others.

Don't forget the Para Ord compact/sub-compact DAO 1911's.

If you want an oldie but a goodie, there's the Star PD too.

#11 · (Edited)
old4x4 said:
Price range is $500 max...not much, but it does include used guns.
Kinda putting the cuff's on with that price range but alot to be had out there for that or less.

I just think that limiting yourself to a certin price range ($500.00) will more times than not end up in an unwanted hand gun and ultimately result in a loss of money and eventually lead up to what you should have gotten in the first place.

A gun without the limits but still being conservetive in your choice, a few hundred more than your $500.00 limit will open the door wide open as to your choices.

Remember you get what you pay for and it is tough to find an exact fit without being open to spending a little more. I would say continue to save another $200.00 - $300.00 and get what you really want and that fit's your need's to defend yourself with.

Used gun's are a good choice and I have bought my fair share of used gun's, but remember they are used for a reason, could be that the gun does not function properly and the owner passed it on, or it isn't what the original owner really wanted in the first place(hin't, hin't) or they could have trade it in to upgrade to what they really wanted ultimatetely loosing money on the deal.

Glock is a good choice for that price range and truthfully you can't go wrong with one but I don't think a Glock makes for a good pocket pistol. A Kahr PM9/40 would make a great pocket pistol though IMO.

Just some thought's,

Ti.

#13 ·
CLASS3NH said:
Colt Defender 3inch 45 stainless. (we have one at the store right now $595.00)
Detonics Mk VI 45 stainless for 510.00.. a few others that are good choices as well.
Either of those would be good choices.

Ti.

#14 ·
old4x4 said:
Price range is $500 max...not much, but it does include used guns.
You don't have many options with the price, size, and action choices you require. DAO used guns are much harder to find most of the time.

DA only kills most of the used compacts - the Bersas and whatnot, the 1911 crowd's choices. HK and Sig are available in this price range, but well, you're not likely to find one that cheap that's a compact especially as a DAO.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but what you want is down to one gun: the Taurus. If that works for you, great - otherwise, you're going to have to rethink or rebudget.

#18 ·
old4x4,

I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. I have over 3000 rounds through it with no problems. Shoots to point of aim, groups tightly and is a wonderful gun to carry. Trigger was good out of the box and after 3000 rounds is smooth as butter.

Heres mine and the target from the first outing at 20yards:

#19 ·
4x4 i have heard great things about the later ones , but i dont own one ( yet) i understand the early ones had some issues that tarus would address handily , its just a pain to send a gun back

#20 ·
******* is correct and I have the third generation gun with the light rail. I have no cracks in the frame or any other problems as of yet. I carry it daily in my right front pocket either as a BUG to my Springfield Champion or as a primary carry in my office and any time I dont have the Champion on me.

#22 ·
PT-145 pocket carry

tex45acp said:
******* is correct and I have the third generation gun with the light rail. I have no cracks in the frame or any other problems as of yet. I carry it daily in my right front pocket either as a BUG to my Springfield Champion or as a primary carry in my office and any time I dont have the Champion on me.
What pocket holster do you use? How do you like the PT-145 so far?

Richard

#23 ·
Consider Bersa's Ultra Compact 45. It's got just about everything you could want in a compact auto and sells for less than $350. The gun in my avatar is my UC-45 with a CAT laser installed on it.

#24 ·
Pt-145

Well, I went to the range today and rented a 3rd gen PT-145 and put 50 rds through it. Very controlable, and I was capable of quick 2nd shots with no trouble. It fits my hand better than the G-30. However, I was able to group slightly better with the Glock. I think the Glock is somewhat mor inherently accurate, but just too bulky for the kind of carry I intend. The Taurus seems to be a great compromise of capacity, firepower, and carryability. By the way, this range gun functioned flawlessly.

Richard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.