Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening gents!

I have seen quite some blogs and forums on this matter but I still feel I need some narrowing on my quest!
I will be moving to FL very soon and I'm looking at acquiring a Compact 9mm carry firearm. I'm thinking of certain assets this gun most have:

- Reliable (The most important for me!)
- Compact size
- 9mm
- Double stack (I would like to have capacity)
- Polymer ( light and easy to conceal under tshirt and shorts)
- Striker fired

I have probably forgotten some(important) aspects but these are the one's that come up right now.
The Default firearm I'm looking at is (of course) the Glock 19 Gen4. What I mean by that is that, if I don't find another one I will probably get the G19.
However, I am putting some time in searching for other options. The one I really liked were the HK VP9 (the grip was amazing) and the Walther PPQ.
Now.... those one's are (yes I know:blink:) full sized hand guns and I'm looking for Compact.
I would like to ask for some input on firearms that cover all the points above, and on top of that I would love to have a full combat grip on (with an extended mag is oke) the firearm.

Thanks very much guys!!

Peace!:wave:

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
CZP10C ... Or sig 320 or a 19 I like the Vickers guns if you can stand the RFT grips or a gen 3 I like the 3 over 4 .

Frankly I really want to try that CZ they are at or under 500 have a great trigger and they are CZ ...

Reactions: Nmuskier

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much!
I'm going to write them down and then go and try them out at the range( if I can find rentals) and otherwise at least go to the gun store look at them!!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
You know - it's not a "popular" pistol, but I have a Walther CCP which has a full size grip that is extremely comfortable. It's a single stack though. Great for carry.

If it has to be a double stack with a full size grip, that 19 sounds about perfect.

I'll just say this. It gets hot in FLA and "I" find - I said I, I find that the longer the grip and the wider it is, the harder it is to conceal. Which will maybe be an issue for you when wearing comfortable summer clothes.

Come to think of it, I take it back. Forget the 19, I recommend you get a G26. It's a bit smaller, shoots pretty freaking well AND, you if you really hate the two finger grip, no problem, you can extend the grip no problem at all. But at least you have the option if you need it. + It's a double stack.

The aftermarket has been good to Glock.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Gotta admit it and take the lashing, but my favorite compact handgun is my Ruger SR9C. 10 rd for "compact" carry or the 17 rd magazine to give a full size grip.
Glocks are excellent tools, but I prefer the Ruger. I haven't tried the Ruger American 9C.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Drift!

You're on the right page of thinking!
I carry a full size now and the grip is easy to conceal..... under a couple of layers (I still love it though)!
I am actually seriously looking at the Walther CCP or even de PPS M2! So they're for sure in the running!
You know... single stack is oke as well, I figured out I will throw in all my "wants" from the start and then I'll see if I can give in into a couple (not reliability though). So I would prefer capacity which comes in double stack 9mm but if I have to give in to a single stack and its reliable, concealable etc etc.... well so be it! I will carry a spare mag any way. I even do it now with my full size! Thanks very much!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that Springfield XD Mod.2 looks pretty nice as well and I hear good stories about both the Ruger and Springfield!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've been messing around with DA pistols some and I keep going back to my Glocks.

The G19 is a great pistol in my opinion. As is the G17 and G26. I have all 3, Gen 4. I use the large back strap on the grip and keep everything stock. Just grip it and rip it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have the earlier Springfield XD subcompact in 9mm. Glock 26 might also be worth a look, and maybe Smith and Wesson M&P compact.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Look at triggers too. Some otherwise really nice guns have "eh" to "seriously?" triggers. If you go looking at Walthers, maybe try out the Creed? Of course there is the current fan favorite the Sig 320, if the grip isn't too thick (it is for me). I personally carry the Glock 19 and have no complaints. I've handled the VP9, but never fired a live round through one. They're okay, though the PPQ M2 felt way better to me both in grip and trigger. If you stay within the top dog brands, reliability shouldn't be an issue (everybody puts out a lemon at some point or another). You can probably forget the CZ P10 unless you have a leprechaun you can call in a favor to.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Walther PPQ M2, Glock 19 or S&W MP9c Personally I would get a Glock 19 for Florida. Also get an Agrip as well. I spent some time down there and the Agrip was the single most useful thing I have done to a polymer pistol. In Florida you start sweating when you wake up. The Agrip is incredible for that

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I have and absolutely love the earlier modle of the Springfield XDsc in 9mm. Best shooter of all my handguns, rugged and most importantly RELIABLE!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
The Glock 19 is the standard default for this type of question, IMO.

I have a VP9 and a buddy has the PPQ and neither of us carry them very often in IWB holsters. We both carry subcompact Glocks...myself the G27 and my friend the G26. There is no denying that the VP9 and PPQ are wonderful feeling pistols and are extremely accurate but I find both less comfortable to conceal than a Glock 19 or M&P 9c. Personally I'd go Glock 26 and carry a 17 round magazine as a backup. If you don't want to go down the sub compact road then I'd recommend the Glock 19 but I'd probably be just as happy with a M&P compact.

Good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
281 Posts
that Springfield XD Mod.2 looks pretty nice as well and I hear good stories about both the Ruger and Springfield!!
I have the Mod 2 subcompact and love it (My first handgun so i don't have a basis for comparison)
It eats anything i've run through it; brass, steel, aluminum.... around 3k rounds now and no issues 13+1 and 13+1 with the extended grip mag

1 - 20 of 95 Posts