Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried on a two-piece Blade Tech belt that came in the mail this past week. If it fits like it should, it will be my first belt not suitable for daily/ concealed carry.

How much overlap should the inner belt and outer belt have once I'm wearing it with all of my gear?

Without any gear on it, I had 8-1/2 in. overlap on the inner belt and 6-1/4 overlap on the outer belt. I haven't gotten the holster for it yet and I didn't have 2 of the mag pouches with me, but with 3 mag pouches on it, the overlap on the outer belt was 1/4 in. less.

(Note: I followed the advice to not use my pant size for ordering, but rather measure my actual waist and then add 2 inches to determine the needed belt size. The belt size is 1-3/4" larger than my actual waist measurement.)

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
That sounds about right to me.

Reactions: runandgun

·
Super Moderator
19,882 Posts
That's the rig I use for competition. No need to over-think it; as long as there's more than a couple of inches of overlap, that's enough. FWIW, some folks put the overlap on the underbelt at the 6:00 position, so there's a good snug mating of the velcro up front where the heavy pieces hang.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the rig I use for competition. No need to over-think it; as long as there's more than a couple of inches of overlap, that's enough. FWIW, some folks put the overlap on the underbelt at the 6:00 position, so there's a good snug mating of the velcro up front where the heavy pieces hang.
Thanks. I believe that I heard something about overlapping something, somewhere other than the front, but I wasn't sure what I read and what its purpose might be.

Any advice, including how to put the belt on, is welcome because I'm starting from square one (at least in regard to competitive shooting).

I watched my first USPSA match last month. That range holds 3 matches a month and it is about an hour from my house. Since it's Christmas, and despite the fact that haven't even shot in one yet, I put this shooting gear on my wish list (with every detail). I'm betting that this will not be a passing phase for me.

After I watched the obviously, very experienced guys shoot that day, I ate lunch with them and picked their brains. It was like a private, shooting seminar!

Perhaps I need to get into it just to justify my "runandgun" call sign, though it actually reflects that my other passion is distance running. It actually paid for my college education and has even helped me buy my first handgun and my first AR (through prize money).

·
Super Moderator
19,882 Posts
What division are you planning to shoot in? (Limited, Production, Single Stack, etc.)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friends said I would shoot limited.

My most suitable pistol is a Glock 17. The only changes I've made is the sights, a Ghost trigger connector, and a grip sleeve.

They informed me that my mags have to be mounted on my belt, with no cant, from hip and back. I think that I will also have to limit the mags to 10 rounds each.

·
Super Moderator
19,882 Posts
My friends said I would shoot limited.

My most suitable pistol is a Glock 17. The only changes I've made is the sights, a Ghost trigger connector, and a grip sleeve.

They informed me that my mags have to be mounted on my belt, with no cant, from hip and back. I think that I will also have to limit the mags to 10 rounds each.
I think your friends are confusing Limited and Production divisions.

Per USPSA rules, for Limited division there is no restriction on rounds in your mag, but the mag can't be longer than 5.56" long. Production and Limited 10 divisions restrict to mags to 10 rounds max. You can use mags with higher capacity (subject to some dimensional limits) but you can't load more than 10 rounds. And subject to stage rules, you can almost always start with a round in the chamber.

As for how you carry your mags, Limited has no restrictions - you can even carry extra mags in your pocket. No restriction on the cant of the magazines. In Production and Single Stack (that's me), you can't have mags forward of the point of your hip; in pockets is OK as long as the pockets are not forward of the point of the hip. Ammo in your pockets is fine for Production and SS as long as you don't access it after the "standby" command (i.e., it's OK to load your "Barney round" from your pocket when given the "make ready" command).

Your gun mods are fine for Limited but for Production, you'd have to lose the grip sleeve.

If you're going with Blade Tech and you want to minimize the initial outlay, I'd start with two double mag pouches. Most stages rarely exceed 30 rounds, but you have to allow for dropped mags, clearing malfunctions, etc. Even the Open shooters with their 30-round mags typically carry 3 or more, in addition to the one in the gun at the beep.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think your friends are confusing Limited and Production divisions. . .

My friends didn't tell me wrong, I just misspoke. I meant to say "Production" as the division they said I would be in.

I didn't know about the grip sleeve rule. Is stippling the grip allowed? Even with the Gen 4 grip, I have some troubling gripping the gun when Mississippi gets up to the 90's with high humidity.

·
Super Moderator
19,882 Posts
I think your friends are confusing Limited and Production divisions. . .

My friends didn't tell me wrong, I just misspoke. I meant to say "Production" as the division they said I would be in.

I didn't know about the grip sleeve rule. Is stippling the grip allowed? Even with the Gen 4 grip, I have some troubling gripping the gun when Mississippi gets up to the 90's with high humidity.
Best thing to do is to read the rule book! Find it here: https://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb 2014 Handgun Rules.pdf

Appendix D4 spells out what the limits are on a Production gun. Appendix E4 shows where tape and stippling may be applied.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I too got the two piece blade tech belt this week. Tried it out yesterday. Pretty nice competition belt. Would recommend it for sure. Nice to be able to put your stuff wherever you want. . I did my first match a couple weeks ago at my local club--steel challenge. Can't say I shot very well but it was a lot of fun. Outer limits was especially difficult for me--and my last stage. . Production division seems the easiest to start off in.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
... I did my first match a couple weeks ago at my local club--steel challenge. Can't say I shot very well but it was a lot of fun. Outer limits was especially difficult for me--and my last stage....
I've learned that in order to get better at something, one has to be humble enough to start ... and then continually risk looking bad at times.

I plan to look bad, but the people I hang around are gracious and supportive . . . but not immune from teasing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts