Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently waiting on my CCL and have been reading various threads here regarding holsters. I have to say all the different types and brands seems a bit overwhelming and I have no experience with any of them.
Looking at the IWB holsters, why are they so big? Does the size add to comfort? Before coming here I had in my head that an IWB holster, smaller, less material, would be more concealable and more comfortable. All thoughts and opinions on this are appreciated since I have no experience and have a very open mind at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum, neighbor. I started carrying around the house before the General Assembly passed our CCP bill. I used a Desantis Sof-tuck because it's infinitely adjustable for cant and ride height. I determined I preferred AIWB, or appendix carry and then bought a quality holster from Black Rhino for EDC (every day carry).

And clear out a drawer or get a box for the collection of holsters you're about to acquire.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Holsters come in many...many shapes, sizes, color, designs, and comfort levels. The problem is what would work for one will not necessarily work for you or others. Depending on body type and preferences. I personally have 2 stealthgears 1 full size and 1 AIWB. Both which I love. The full size is great, but recently wanted to try AIWB, and wanted to carry a bigger gun. I'm am personally not fond of leather on my skin so I knew I was going to by a kidex holster, and I went with what I already had cause I liked my first one so much. The holster breaths very well, and that's good seeing as Illinois summers feel as humid as Florida's. I do have a OWB for the winter from wright's leather works that is great also that I wear all winter. But everyone has a different preferred holster and different thoughts. I would say take everyone's preference with a grain of salt. Find what you like and go with it. I went threw the same thing that you are when I started, probably along with everyone here. I personal think I made a great selection and do not regret it at all. If possible try many on. But I know that's hard to do seeing as its hard to find that to do. You might make a few bad choice but you will find one.

Good luck

·
Registered
887 Posts
Currently using a DeSantis Sof-tuck for my Shield 40. It's small and I find it to be very comfortable. Besides you can't beat the price of around $20. As already stated you'll probably go thru a few holsters before you find the right one.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I really really like carrying a full size Glock G17 gen 4. I prefer a single clip ( or dual belt loops) Kydex holster (AIWB is my preference). But i can wear a holster up to 3:00 on hip. I had a N82 Pro, It's a great holster but i had issues with the little TWIST you need to break retention. So i traded it with a friend. For a 3:00 carry the Black Arch Protos looks very promising for Thinness and ease of carry and presentation
https://www.blackarchholsters.com/products/pre-order-single-point

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Keep in mind that if you buy an IWB holster, your pants are generally going to need to be larger at the waist than what you normally wear. If you're wearing snug pants already, IWB is not going to be comfortable. Some of us prefer OWB for this and other reasons, but then you will need longer covering garments. Most people end up going through at least a couple of different holsters before they find something that works for them. And, probably no one holster going to work for you with all modes of dress in all situations. When I am dressed in business casual, I normally pocket carry. But, I also have an ankle holster for when I am driving for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The type and size of your IWB holster will be dependent on the weight and thickness of your carry gun. For example, I carry my Glock 26 in a leather IWB holster with two belt loop snaps, where as I carry my Ruger LCP in a very simple nylon material holster with one little belt hook. It just depends on a few variables.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Looking at the IWB holsters, why are they so big? Does the size add to comfort? Before coming here I had in my head that an IWB holster, smaller, less material, would be more concealable and more comfortable.
IWBs don't have to be big; look at any of the Summer Special-types by Milt Sparks, Galco, et al.

You don't need an uncomfortable IWB holster to conceal. OWBs conceal just fine if you dress right.

Wear the holster you want and dress to conceal. It will be more comfortable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ive been carrying for a couple weeks now, i went with the alien gear cloaktuck 3.0 and i love the thing. Im a big guy and i sweat allot. I wear it at about 330-4 o clock position. I wear suspenders and a soft undershirt, it barely feels like it's there. I love the thing, cant all the forward. My pops just ordered 2 of the soft belt(type? Not sure the model) types that are iwb from bravo concealment that you can vary other mags or knife etc he got me one so ill report back on that one when they get here

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a range bag full of holsters like many already have stated. Be prepared to collect some yourself. No one can tell you what holster will be comfortable for you, it is going to be trial and error. I would like to recommend Vedder Holsters. After trying out many name brand holsters I found that you can't beat their comfort (for me anyway), price, workmanship/quality and they'll even take it back if you don't like it within 30 days. Try them out. Lots of customizable colors available and they generally have it to your mailbox within 3 days. Not weeks like a lot of other manufacturers. I own 6 of their holsters for different carry guns I have.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If you're looking for an IWB with a minimalist footprint, check out Black Arch's new Protos-M series. You can get just the IWB backing with your firearm's shell, or you can get additional backings to carry different ways, if you want. I can't vouch for how they carry or feel, but if the rest of their product line is any indication, these should be phenomenal. I plan to order one for myself later this year, along with all three backings for my PPQ.

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
I second a look at Desantis

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the info. Lots of good information here. I was recommended by two different people I had conversations with recently to look hard at the Alien Gear. I guess what surprised me the most was the size of their IWB holsters. I then started looking around at other makers and found some of the same style. Also, from one of the guys I talked to strongly recommend a carry belt, I also read some threads here about the same subject. I was watching a video yesterday from Black Arch holsters. The guy in the video had a belt on that looked ragged and old. Maybe the belt isn't so important after all. I would have expected him to be wearing a new carry belt. I get the feeling that CC may be a lot like some other hobbies I am involved in. When it comes down to it you just need basic stuff. However, if you have money to spend you can look really good doing it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Holsters come in many...many shapes, sizes, color, designs, and comfort levels. The problem is what would work for one will not necessarily work for you or others. Depending on body type and preferences. I personally have 2 stealthgears 1 full size and 1 AIWB. Both which I love. The full size is great, but recently wanted to try AIWB, and wanted to carry a bigger gun. I'm am personally not fond of leather on my skin so I knew I was going to by a kidex holster, and I went with what I already had cause I liked my first one so much. The holster breaths very well, and that's good seeing as Illinois summers feel as humid as Florida's. I do have a OWB for the winter from wright's leather works that is great also that I wear all winter. But everyone has a different preferred holster and different thoughts. I would say take everyone's preference with a grain of salt. Find what you like and go with it. I went threw the same thing that you are when I started, probably along with everyone here. I personal think I made a great selection and do not regret it at all. If possible try many on. But I know that's hard to do seeing as its hard to find that to do. You might make a few bad choice but you will find one.

Good luck
Stealth gear makes an awesome product

Reactions: blackhawkfann24

·
Registered
859 Posts
I am currently waiting on my CCL and have been reading various threads here regarding holsters. I have to say all the different types and brands seems a bit overwhelming and I have no experience with any of them.
Looking at the IWB holsters, why are they so big? Does the size add to comfort? Before coming here I had in my head that an IWB holster, smaller, less material, would be more concealable and more comfortable. All thoughts and opinions on this are appreciated since I have no experience and have a very open mind at this point.

You should be confused :). The "widebodies" are a recent phenomenon; the best of the IWBs are minimalist beginning with the Seventrees' designs of the 60s. Currently the best of them are Sparks' copy of Bruce Nelson's "Summer Special" (yup, on the record in American Handgunner); and the Pistol Pocket from Bianchi, which is one of mine for them. There's no good reason to put all that bulk inside your pants :-( it's simply trendy -- for now.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Love my new AlienGear IWB holster. With a good belt even my full sized 1911 carries very comfortably

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I was watching a video yesterday from Black Arch holsters. The guy in the video had a belt on that looked ragged and old. Maybe the belt isn't so important after all. I would have expected him to be wearing a new carry belt. I get the feeling that CC may be a lot like some other hobbies I am involved in. When it comes down to it you just need basic stuff. However, if you have money to spend you can look really good doing it.
Actually, the belt is VERY important. A great holster with a cheap, flimsy belt is not going to work out well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts