Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do most people consider more important, the ability to conceal carry easily or having more rounds available with a bit of work? I currently carry a P938, but after last Sunday's event, I am seriously looking at my 92 because I can shoot at a distance more effectively and I have more rounds available. The 938 is so easy to carry but are 7 rounds enough for most instances?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
For most yes, for all nope. It's a matter of balance, what the individual is comfortable with.

·
Registered
748 Posts
It is a give and take... you carry a smaller pistol, you GIVE up on round count. you carry a compact (but larger pistol), and it TAKEs more effort to conceal.

I have carried the Beretta 92F Compact, 92D Compact and 92G Compact and they can be concealed, but mostly under a jacket, (wind breaker, fleece), or shirt with a slight bulge...with a dual magazine carrier.

I carry a Firestar M43, similar in size to the P938, very concealable under a shirt with no issues, and i carry 3 magazines.

So 44 rounds vs 29 rounds.... Shot placement is the the key...Granted the Beretta would be more accurate, (slightly longer barrel), but even a 1 7/8 J-frame is capable in the hands of a good shooter.

Shoot what you carry and carry spare ammo, (what you feel is sufficient).

I personally carry 2 or more reloads of any of the pistols I carry.

For example...G26, 10+1 and 2 G19 magazines, 30+10+1= 41

Beretta 92 Compact, 13+1 and 2 15 round magazines. 30+13+1=44

J-Frame, 5, one speed loader, and two speed strips. 5+5+5+5= 20

But I shoot my J-frame, I shoot my G26/G19...my Berettas are retired.

Shoot what you carry and become proficient.

Reactions: Goldy49

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I prefer to carry bigger guns. Round count is only part of the reason. Honestly, it's a smaller part of my reasoning.

I carry a bigger gun because it shoots better. Follow up shots are quicker and much more accurate. Also, I can unholster my bigger guns faster because of the bigger grip. The extra rounds are comforting but not really the main reason I carry bigger guns.

My current favorite pistols to conceal are the Sig P226, H&K VP40, & XD Mod.2 4". I've been carrying them this summer in 90 degree weather with t-shirts and polo shirts. I don't have to wear big jackets or baggy jeans.

That being said, there are days when I carry a Glock 43 or similar sized pistol. Those are days when I'll be somewhere that I'd really prefer nobody to spot my pistol (such as a business meeting, etc.).

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I think your looking at 2 separate pistols in size. I pocket carry the 938. I really don't know a lot about the 92 compact.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
My usual EDC is my XD Mod 2 9mm. When not practical to carry, I pocket carry my 938. Thus, I prefer a larger gun and higher capacity, but realize that I have to have some flexibility based on what I must wear or places that i must be in.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,466 Posts
I prefer carrying a large gun with a spare magazine and a pocket BUG with a spare magazine.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you want a Beretta Compact gun with less bulk... try finding a Type M. Same gun, just single stacked.

Magazines are a pain to find, so it would be smart to get a gun with magazines from the seller, if possible. They come up on Gunbroker and BerettaForum from time to time.

For civilian concealed carry, I don't see carrying a metric crap ton of ammo being needed. A reload or two? Definitely... but don't feel out gunned by having two or three 8 round magazines. Most of these shooters are not expecting confrontation, so you may have an edge. Be able to connect, and have the confidence that you can ultimately pull the trigger. Other than that, a common defensive shoot will be up close with probably one threat. I used to carry an LCP as a backup, and I trained from 0 yards out to 25. If you carry a small gun, practice those further shots... as it will be the most stressful ones to take. Pocket guns can be accurate, if you do your part.

My off-duty gun, with the most ammo capacity, happens to be a Glock 30S. I use the standard 10 rounders with Pearce bases (feels identical to a Glock 19), and I normally carry two spare magazines on me. Other options, depending on what I'm planning on doing, are my P938 SAS and my S&W 642-1 that I converted over to 9mm. I tend to carry at least two or three reloads for the SIG (one in the gun is usually a 7 rounder, unless I need to run 6 rounders), but 9mm moon clips are usually in the three to four range. I also toss a few extras in whichever vehicle I'm in.

When I am working, I keep extra magazines/moon clips in my patrol bag. It usually is a complete refresh of my carry loadout (three SIG P229 magazines), three P938 magazines (all six rounders, since I carry the gun on my ankle as a backup), and five moon clips. I think I have three Glock 30 magazines in there, but might have taken them out (I don't carry it while working).

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
That 92 is a fat one. Carrying that will be alot different than the 938, but it can be done.

Beretta sells a kit to convert it from an F type to a G and they're low profile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts