Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a S&W 1911 full size w/ aftermarket Trijicon Night Sights. These are press fit and noticed when I carried, the rear sight moved quite a bit. I'm taking it in to the shop to have them straightened. I've read to put loctite on the sides and allow it to seep into the bottom.

I will no longer carry this and am looking into a HK USP Compact 45. Will I have this same issue w/ the factory night sights? I've never read this in any concealed forum, do you members experience this w/ your pistols.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

The sights on my Glock could only be moved with a 'jack-hammer':scratchchin:...never had difficulties with them moving.

ret :31:

·
Registered
806 Posts
My G30 has a "screw-in" front sight that comes lose very easily and requires very difficult hand tightening every other day.

Granted, I could get the tool to fix this, but I keep forgetting. Sad, I know.

Try the loctite, carry it normally, then decide...?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Won't be dissappointed with an HK...I love mine....night sights are great even in light thats a little dim.

Haven't been able to jam my hk usp compact 45....I've tried!! Reasonable size to carry with a little effort in an IWB...Haven't tried OWB though I want to try.

And no, I havent had any trouble with the sights.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Sounds to me like the sights are too small for the dovetail - for whatever reason. A good gunsmith can solve the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good call Sir.

Sounds to me like the sights are too small for the dovetail - for whatever reason. A good gunsmith can solve the problem.
Either the sights have a defect or they are the wrong sights for that weapon. I agree with the Major I dought the defect is in the dovetail.
But get it checked anyway. If that's the only problem with that weapon it's worth fixing.

PS: You can't go wrong with a HK. Good luck Brother...:wave:

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Never had a problem with factory sights moving. Since your S&W has after market sights, my guess would be they were not properly installed/peened in place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All great feedback. I probably figure they used Colt 1911 sights (just a guess though). I have a hard enough time finding anything specifically for the S&W 1911. Since its a clone, I figure anything made for the colt will work (my serpa holster being the point). I'm 50/50 using this as an excuse to get the USP, the other 50 because I just really really want it hehe. I've only had my CPL for a week but enjoy the freedom and security it brings when I carry. Love the forum.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Welcome aboard asianmi18! :wave:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Have a S&W 1911 full size w/ aftermarket Trijicon Night Sights. These are press fit and noticed when I carried, the rear sight moved quite a bit. I'm taking it in to the shop to have them straightened. I've read to put loctite on the sides and allow it to seep into the bottom.
I will no longer carry this and am looking into a HK USP Compact 45. Will I have this same issue w/ the factory night sights? I've never read this in any concealed forum, do you members experience this w/ your pistols.
Sounds more like "slip fit" to me.......

Trijicon makes quality products.
If you paid someone to install those sights DEMAND your money back.

·
Administrator
21,323 Posts

Do you know the model number of the sight set that you got?

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts

Moving?? Back to front? Left to right/Right to left? Seems strange.

Do you mean they are physically moving or that your shot patterns are moving?

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Before loctiting make sure you degrease the sights or the loctite may not hold

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The sights were installed by the dealer at time of purchase. They did it all and the n/s were in stock at their place. These are SA36 sights made for the SW1911. The rear sight moves right. It got really bad but I didn't do anything because I didn't know better. I had it straightened at range a week ago. Then with it in the holster and carrying it today, noticed it moved slightly again. I can't move it by hand and a hammer/punch isn't working either (I don't have a vice though). I'm taking it back to the original dealer to get it pressed back to center and see what I can get for a permanent fix.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Installing sights is an art form requiring patience and the proper tools. In your situation the sight can be removed and the bottom of the sight channel roughed up a bit with a punch to raise some of the material. In essence, making the channel smaller. The reinstalled sight should then fit much tighter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts