Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help with this one. I want to join a gym (again) and am wondering how to go about discretely getting my firearm on and off, as well as how to keep the thing secure. I am obviously not going to workout with it on me. I currently carry a cm9 or g26 in a remora or pjholster. I like to leave clothes in a locker, so transferring my gun to a gym bag before changing isn't ideal-still, right now it's the best option I can think of. Curious if anyone here has any experience with this sort of thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wear mine to the gym and take it off in a stall when i get there. I lock it in a gym locker with a key lock and keep my keys on me at all times. Locker room is pretty busy so i doubt anyone could get away with walking in with bolt cutters. On the way out, go into a stall and re-equip. Good to go.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I pocket carry my lcp at the gym. I dont want to need it and not have you never know when someone might roid rage and go hulk on me or someone else I want to be prepared. Im a 24/7 carrier I make no exceptions except, obviously, for places unlawful to carry. Some sort of belly band may work if you feel the same way.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Glock 19 or 26 in a fanny pack. I wear it while I work out....no one gives me a second look. Fits tight enough so it does not flop around while moving.

....having had my locker broken into twice at L.A. Fitness in Orlando, I would NEVER leave my gun in my locker. I always have my wallet and keys with me as well.

....I just have these "thug" trust issues....can't help it.

and this little incident will never be forgotten when I am gym bound and helped solidify my resolve to not be disarmed while I work out....crazy people everywhere.

2009 Collier Township shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2009 Collier Township shooting

The 2009 Collier Township shooting, also referred to as the 2009 Bridgeville LA Fitness shooting, was a mass shooting resulting in murder-suicide that took place on August 4, 2009 in an LA Fitness health club in Collier Township, a suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The attack resulted in four deaths, including that of the perpetrator who took his own life. Nine other people were injured.[1] The fitness center is approximately 10 miles (16 km) south of Pittsburgh,[2] in The Great Southern Shopping Center, a strip mall located in the Kirwan Heights section of Collier Twp.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would throw it in the locker. But only cause I'm not into fanny packs and what have you.. also wouldn't want to leave it locked in the car, or venture back home to get it.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Find a gym where you don't need a gun!

I leave it in my vehicle locked up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glock 19 or 26 in a fanny pack. I wear it while I work out....no one gives me a second look. Fits tight enough so it does not flop around while moving.

....having had my locker broken into twice at L.A. Fitness in Orlando, I would NEVER leave my gun in my locker. I always have my wallet and keys with me as well.

....I just have these "thug" trust issues....can't help it.

and this little incident will never be forgotten when I am gym bound and helped solidify my resolve to not be disarmed while I work out....crazy people everywhere.

2009 Collier Township shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2009 Collier Township shooting

The 2009 Collier Township shooting, also referred to as the 2009 Bridgeville LA Fitness shooting, was a mass shooting resulting in murder-suicide that took place on August 4, 2009 in an LA Fitness health club in Collier Township, a suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The attack resulted in four deaths, including that of the perpetrator who took his own life. Nine other people were injured.[1] The fitness center is approximately 10 miles (16 km) south of Pittsburgh,[2] in The Great Southern Shopping Center, a strip mall located in the Kirwan Heights section of Collier Twp.
Wow that is close to me. Just moved to pitt about 5 months ago and never knew that happened. Leaving it in my car is a no go since i dont wanna venture into a parking garage at night without it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I carry in the gym all the time and when jogging. For the gym I carry my Ruger LCP in a Smart Carry holster. Works perfectly and conceals well right between my legs in my basketball shorts. I don't have to worry at all about unholstering it when I hit the gym. It is comfortable and does not get in the way whether I'm on the treadmill, lifting free weights or using machines.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Kahr CW 40 in a Smart Carry. I go to the gym in my gym close with the Smart Carry on. Never had a problem working out with the pistol on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I put mine in the gym bag with the other one already in there and put it in a locker with a combination lock. I work out at Golds and have never heard of any problems. When I get back to the truck I usually put it in my pocket with holster. Sometimes I may leave it in the bag next to me.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have never felt the need to carry at the gym and as such I leave it in the car. If leaving it in the car is not an option I would not leave it in a locker they can and do get broken into. Carry a small gym bag with a sweat towel, water, what have you and keep your gun in it.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
I generally don't leaves guns in the car unless its unavoidable, and then for as little time as needed. So I typically pocket carry if I'm going to be at the gym, or if using IWB its a belt clip model. In either case it is not difficult to remove the weapon and holster from my person discreetly then put it into the side pocket of my gym bag along with wallet, keys, cell phone. Most of the time the gym bag goes into locker with keyed padlock, if all lockers are in use I keep the gym bag poolside or on the main floor with me if using weights. Now if you are a runner or using aerobic machines then whatever holster you might use outside the gym for activity should work as well inside the gym.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Glock stays in the car, but I carry my KelTec P-3AT inside my gym shorts either at 2 o'clock or at 5:30...the light gun stays in place if I tighten my gym short strings...no problems.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts