Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading other threads from some time back and found (almost) universal agreement that concealed carry badges are a bad idea and that they are for law enforcement wanabees. While I am about to disagree, first, let me say that carrying a CCW badge openly is stupid and makes no sense at all, defeating the purpose of Concealed Carry. But as for having the badge concealed on your person, I have recently been educated otherwise. I was curious about this to begin with because as a veteran of both Iraq and Afghanistan I learned from experience that one of the easy ways to get yourself shot is to be mistaken for a bad guy when you have to fire your own weapon. I have lost friends who were caught in crossfire and killed by our own. Knowing this, I asked 5 of our OSI agents here on base what they thought while in a sit-down discussion in their office. I followed this up with 3 of our local police and got the same answer. Now that's not a scientific study, but I do think these officers shared some good ideas which I will share here. Both agencies and all the officers were ultimately (although not immediately) in agreement that if I didn't have a CCW badge I should buy one. Here is the sum of what they said: The CCW holder's biggest danger today when responding to a criminal (other than the criminal threat) is not the danger of being shot by a police officer (although that danger does exist), but rather the danger of being shot by a CCW who (untrained) thinks "you" are the problem. They told me that if a CCW holder pulls a gun they should also immediately pull their badge (just as a LEO would) and yell PO-LICE repeatedly (not "police" which can be mistaken for "please") and shout orders to the "threat". This last bit about the "orders" shouted to the threat should be done based on your persoanl training and best judgment, only you know if you should yell or fire your weapon to protect yourself immediately. Why did they say this? So we (the CCW holder) don't get shot by another CCW good guy as we deal with the obvious bad guy. In Kansas there are allot of CCW holders. When the threat is eliminated, lay your gun down and sort out the details later. In addition, the badge attached to your belt right beside your gun (concealed, not displayed openly for some ego trip for heaven sakes) will also keep you from trouble on casual observation if you do happen to inadvertently reveal you are carrying. Having said this all this, I am interested, how many folks who are about to vehemently disagree with this information have actually taken the time to talk to numerous LEOs in a discussion forum? While some may have talked to a lone officer who told you a CCW badge is a dumb idea (or seen the Judge Judy episode where she lambasted a guy with a CCW badge), who has taken the time to discuss the idea with 2 separate forums of officers thinking it out in discussion? I am not saying you won't find officers who disagree, just saying there are a variety of valid opinions on this.

·
Banned
2,030 Posts
As I was reading your post, I kept getting interrupted by the sound of the thin ice you are standing on that is breaking. I have had several cc training classes and someone always asks a question about these badges. I have yet to hear one instructor say anything but "absolutely not". Now you're saying that you should yell "PO-LICE" when you draw your weapon and display your badge. Sounds like a real bad idea to me.

·
Premium Member
36,952 Posts
As I was reading your post, I kept getting interrupted by the sound of the thin ice you are standing on that is breaking. I have had several cc training classes and someone always asks a question about these badges. I have yet to hear one instructor say anything but "absolutely not". Now you're saying that you should yell "PO-LICE" when you draw your weapon and display your badge. Sounds like a real bad idea to me.
I was going to ask for specific examples of CHL holders shooting each other in the mistaken impression of being the bad guy, but figured, why encourage it?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
If you prefer, go ahead. I on the other hand have no wish to be confused with a LEO under any circumstances. Unless the threat is direct and imminent, I have no business pulling a gun.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
It was rather difficult keeping focused on one extremely large paragraph.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Welcome...were you a chaplain in Iraq and Afghanistan, too? thank you for your service...I'll reserve space for more experienced minds than mine on the content of your post...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Why would another CPL holder be drawing down on me if I am not a threat to his or her life? If they do, it is unjustified and I don't think any amount of fake-badge tossing or yelling "PO-LICE" will help. They have taken inadequate training if they start firing at people they have not positively identified. I was trained to draw only in self-defense when in fear of my life. That means I don't draw unless I am directly threatened with lethal force. If I see someone shooting then I take cover and/or leave and call the police. It's not my job to be a hero. A CPL isn't a licence to play cop, it's a licence to carry a firearm.

Or maybe I'm talking out of my arse and I should go to the sheriff's office and ask to speak to multiple officers about the valid use of wannabe-cop badges and falsely claiming to be an LEO. I'm certain it will be a very productive endeavor...

·
Super Moderator
18,162 Posts
who has taken the time to discuss the idea with 2 separate forums of officers thinking it out in discussion?
I have.

I am not saying you won't find officers who disagree, just saying there are a variety of valid opinions on this.
I have talked to dozens of officers about this very thing. I have yet to find one that thinks its a good idea.

Of course there are a variety of valid opinions on this. That does not make them correct, or even sensible.

·
Registered
120 Posts
CCW badge? is this real? I am so confused??? this has got to be a anti-gun troll trying to get somebody to freak out so they can blog about it right? am i missing something? CCW badge....really.....

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I was reading other threads from some time back and found (almost) universal agreement that concealed carry badges are a bad idea and that they are for law enforcement wanabees. While I am about to disagree, first, let me say that carrying a CCW badge openly is stupid and makes no sense at all, defeating the purpose of Concealed Carry. But as for having the badge concealed on your person, I have recently been educated otherwise. I was curious about this to begin with because as a veteran of both Iraq and Afghanistan I learned from experience that one of the easy ways to get yourself shot is to be mistaken for a bad guy when you have to fire your own weapon. I have lost friends who were caught in crossfire and killed by our own. Knowing this, I asked 5 of our OSI agents here on base what they thought while in a sit-down discussion in their office. I followed this up with 3 of our local police and got the same answer. Now that's not a scientific study, but I do think these officers shared some good ideas which I will share here. Both agencies and all the officers were ultimately (although not immediately) in agreement that if I didn't have a CCW badge I should buy one. Here is the sum of what they said: The CCW holder's biggest danger today when responding to a criminal (other than the criminal threat) is not the danger of being shot by a police officer (although that danger does exist), but rather the danger of being shot by a CCW who (untrained) thinks "you" are the problem. They told me that if a CCW holder pulls a gun they should also immediately pull their badge (just as a LEO would) and yell PO-LICE repeatedly (not "police" which can be mistaken for "please") and shout orders to the "threat". This last bit about the "orders" shouted to the threat should be done based on your persoanl training and best judgment, only you know if you should yell or fire your weapon to protect yourself immediately. Why did they say this? So we (the CCW holder) don't get shot by another CCW good guy as we deal with the obvious bad guy. In Kansas there are allot of CCW holders. When the threat is eliminated, lay your gun down and sort out the details later. In addition, the badge attached to your belt right beside your gun (concealed, not displayed openly for some ego trip for heaven sakes) will also keep you from trouble on casual observation if you do happen to inadvertently reveal you are carrying. Having said this all this, I am interested, how many folks who are about to vehemently disagree with this information have actually taken the time to talk to numerous LEOs in a discussion forum? While some may have talked to a lone officer who told you a CCW badge is a dumb idea (or seen the Judge Judy episode where she lambasted a guy with a CCW badge), who has taken the time to discuss the idea with 2 separate forums of officers thinking it out in discussion? I am not saying you won't find officers who disagree, just saying there are a variety of valid opinions on this.

From 30 years of law enforcement, there is a flaw in this. What if the thugs start wearing these silly badges. Who will you shoot then ? Besides, in a major fight, police aren't looking for your $25 badge. They're looking for the person shooting at them.

Let's face it, if I have to shoot someone as a civilian, I'm not going to yell "po-lice!" because I'm no longer a police officer. I'm just going to shoot the fool who is armed and threatening another or me. Perfectly legal in this state.

·
Administrator
144,204 Posts
Because you are a vet of Iraq and Afghanistan in addition to being a new forum member I will ask our forum members to agree or disagree with the content of the post and attack the argument and NOT the OP.

He has probably seen enough fighting to last a lifetime or two.

So....respectfully...please.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My advice is that it is not a good idea to carry a badge (as a citizen concealed license holder), even worse would be to yell "PO-LICE". Impersonating an officer is a very bad idea.

If you want to carry a gun, a badge, stop bad guys while yelling "PO-LICE", time to join the academy.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people on here who wouldn't draw a gun on you if you we're justly defending yourself! But would thank you just for that.

Reactions: oneshot

·
Registered
211 Posts
There is a 213-post thread on this subject in the stickies at the top of this page. Why does this ridiculous subject need to be brought up again?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Its it also a good idea to get the blue coats that has a sign on the back that says PO-LICE on them as well? Maybe a car with purple & pink lights? (Can't do blue and red since those are for the real police)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.