Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Do you know of anyone that has failed the CCW class and why?

The only one that I know of is a guy that was told to "not" take a headshot and took one and was immediately failed by the instructor.

[Inserted by moderator]

See post 104 before replying

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've never seen one fail. In my class I saw a couple that should have, but I guess somewhere with a few feet of the target is good enough right? :smile:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the logic of the "fail". Seems to me, if you are taking a CCW class, you are learning how to protect yourself with a firearm. If the BG is down and no longer a threat, isn't that the goal of self-protection? One would think that a head shot is not a bad placement for stopping the BG immediately.

Unless, of course, if the student was aiming for the chest and hit the head. Then there might be probable cause for a "fail."

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He was told not to take a headshot. The instructor failed him for not listening to his instructions.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I knew one guy in CA who was told by his instructor for the Utah CC class to take an NRA pistol safety class and then come back to take the CC class again.
he kept muzzling people and the instructor with his gun, and putting his finger on the trigger as soon as his hand touched the gun. He never got to the point in the class of practicing with a loaded gun.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
I don't know if they actually failed, but after I could not mathematically fail my qualification my instructor came and took some ammo from me and a Marine on the lane next to me so one of our class mates could practice more before reshooting the course of fire.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Seems to me if you place your cash on the table for the class, you pass. A guy next to me missed the target numerous times. Another was visibly intimidated by a handgun. Both left with a certificate. I suppose it's just a handgun safety class which allows one to receive a conceal carry permit.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Do you know of anyone that has failed the CCW class and why?

The only one that I know of is a guy that was told to "not" take a headshot and took one and was immediately failed by the instructor.

not obeying the range instructor ....... in my book is immdiately dimissal and failure......

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yes. One fellow just refused or was too stupid to understand the commands of the instructor when it came to gun safety and following his commands. The other fellow initially failed because he was using his newly purchased 38, which is not exactly an easy gun to use without a good deal of proper training; he failed to hit the target within the acceptable range. He then "rented" a 22 and passed the course (this was conducted at a gunshop in SC so rental was an option and in SC you do not have to pass with the gun you own or the gun you intend to have as your CCW). Quite frankly, the second part of my previous statement leaves me a little bit scratching my chin---if you cannot hit the side of a barn with the gun you now have a permit to carry--why are they giving you a permit to carry it?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
as sad as it may sound accuracy with a handgun isnt a qualification for ownership or concealed carry...knowing the rules is...that is the purpose of the class...if nothing else the shooting qualification might open peoples eyes to the fact that they need practice and possibly more training before they decide to carry...

the constitution doesnt say the right to keep and bear arms only if you can use them effectively against paper targets....

you really wouldnt have to spend a great deal of time here to see that there are plenty of carry permits and licenses issued to people who may nbe able to hit a target but may not exaclty have the proper mindset regarding what their responsibilities are...i'm not sure whats worse....

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
Yes. One fellow just refused or was too stupid to understand the commands of the instructor when it came to gun safety and following his commands. The other fellow initially failed because he was using his newly purchased 38, which is not exactly an easy gun to use without a good deal of proper training; he failed to hit the target within the acceptable range. He then "rented" a 22 and passed the course (this was conducted at a gunshop in SC so rental was an option and in SC you do not have to pass with the gun you own or the gun you intend to have as your CCW). Quite frankly, the second part of my previous statement leaves me a little bit scratching my chin---if you cannot hit the side of a barn with the gun you now have a permit to carry--why are they giving you a permit to carry it?
The last sentence of your post speaks volumes. This is a big concern of mine also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
as sad as it may sound accuracy with a handgun isnt a qualification for ownership or concealed carry...knowing the rules is...that is the purpose of the class...if nothing else the shooting qualification might open peoples eyes to the fact that they need practice and possibly more training before they decide to carry...
Actually, in many states, including where I live, South Carolina, accuracy is a qualification to carry concealed. In SC you need to fire 50 shots at a target at varying distances, within a certain time frame, from both a holster draw and out of the holster and get a certain number of hits within the target to pass. You also need to take a written test at the end of the class and get a certain scorce to pass that.

·
Registered
763 Posts
That's a real dichotomy. If the strict standards of the Second Amendment are upheld, a person should not have to take a class or have a permit to carry a weapon - concealed or otherwise. But there are those who should not breed or reproduce in any way, much-less own or operate a gun. The foregoing is in defense of the survival of humankind.

That being said, to answer your question, I don't know of anyone who has failed, but do know of several who fall into my first paragraph. When I took my class, there was only one person besides me (out of a total of 5) who had ever shot a handgun. It was quite interesting to watch the dynamics of the entire group. The instructor was pretty cavalier about the whole thing, which told me that in a lot of cases, the course is pretty much cookie cutter and a mere formality.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Alot of classes around me won't let you use your own gun. They make you use a Ruger Mark III or 22/45. .22s should not be allowed for qualification.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Alot of classes around me won't let you use your own gun. They make you use a Ruger Mark III or 22/45. .22s should not be allowed for qualification.
.22s are NOT allowed in Texas (for the test).....

·
Registered
439 Posts
In New Mexico you have to pass a shooting test with a gun in the type (semi auto or revolver; or both) and largest caliber you want to carry before the instructor can sign the certificate that you take to the Department of Public Safety with your application. It's a pretty easy test, but it is possible to fail.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
....22s should not be allowed for qualification.
Agreed.

That is a joke of a 'qualification', akin to taking a 'certification' test as being open book.

- Janq

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here in Nevada, you have to qualify with all the weapons that you are going to list on your permit. You fire 36 rounds. At 3 yds. you shoot 6 rounds right handed unsupported,and 6 rounds left handed un supported. At 7 & 15 yds. you shoot 12 rounds(6 reload and 6 more). All ranges must be done within 1 minute. You shoot at a B27 silhouette target and must score 252 out of a possible 360 points. I have known of some that didn't qualify and had to reshoot a few times to make qualification. You must pay for every qualification round.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The required passing grade in SC is ridiculous at best - dangerous at worst. You shoot 50 rounds at various distances, and have to only score 70% COM. You must shoot from low ready and presentation and you have a stupidly long amount of time to get your shots off. It kinda scares me. Only 70% required on the written test, too.

You are not required to shoot with the gun you will carry. No single action "cowboy" type revolvers, and some instructors will not allow .22 LR. No "target" type guns. Your carry gun may not be longer than 12" at the longest measurement (usually muzzle to butt).

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Yup, I've failed lots of people who take my class. But, my CCW class is not the usual rubber stamp dog and pony show. I'm a strong believer that you CCW class is the last step in the process, not the first like many think it should be. I don't teach basic safety or marksmanship. If you need those basic items, do you really think its a good idea to carry a gun? I don't. If I see that you have lied or mislead me on your application, failure.

I'm upfront and honest with prospective clients about what my class is or isn't. I expect the same in return. I have a few celebrity clients who I've sent away at first until the get the basics. It probably cost me a lot cash in doing so, but all but one comes back in the end with a better understanding of why I did what I did.

Anyway, my class is a lot tougher than the norm, but for good reason. Most people will pass, some do not. I will not attach my name to anybody I don't have 100% confidence in. I also want everybody who takes my class to be 100% confident in themselves. My goal is to maintain an excellent reputation of integrity and content.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts