Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've been a long time reader, but this is my first official post.

I just turned 21 and have been saving up for my first handgun purchase. As I was mulling over the prospect, several possible concerns arose, this being the primary one:

I hope to eventually become a federal LEO after I graduate college. In light of the rather rigorous hiring process, I was thinking that owning firearms, particularly pistols, may be a bit of a hinderance. They might reason, incorrectly of course, that I desire to become an LEO for the power of a badge and gun.

I was just wondering if any of you might have some thoughts on the matter. As I'm currently in school anyway, and cannot have a gun on campus, waiting a little while wouldn't be that difficult.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
I wouldn't consider that at all to be a negative on you in the application process.
They will be looking at a whole lot of other things in making their hire/no hire decision.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I can't imagine that it would have a negative impact on you attempting a career in Federal LE.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
It doesnt matter a hill of beans. There are plenty of other indicators if you have that problem.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It doesnt matter a hill of beans. There are plenty of other indicators if you have that problem.
10-4. I'm a federal LEO and I applied for my handgun permit the day after I turned 21.

·
Banned
5,253 Posts
Having your CCW Permit and owning firearms weren't even an issue when I applied.

As Sixto said, there are lots of other indicators.

Biker

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Yep usually the cape and spandex underwear are dead giveaways

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
They might just reason that you like guns and that you like to shoot. I could never find fault with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like I may be able to put my savings to good use sooner than expected. Thanks a lot for the replies!

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about that. Just keep a good level head, and you should do just fine.

Welcome to the forum

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
welcome to DC

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hello and welcome aboard, dont sweat it,
If you went out and purchased 10 guns in one day then yea that might throw up a red flag somewhere, but owning and buying a weapon is not an issue

·
Registered
976 Posts
Shoot, they hired me! Not federal, but government nonetheless. Of course, the psychological test did ask me all the wrong questions . . .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts