Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to hear from the shooting public on what you think is the best concealed carry gun for lefties. I am partial to single stack guns for their slim portability, but if you feel there is a double stack out there that blows them all away, let me know. Also, I will be using 9mm, so if it is not available in that caliber, I am not interested. I don't have a preference on an external (ambidextrous) safety or point and shoot, so let me know what you think. I practice regularly and will get accustomed to any gun I purchase.

·
Banned
732 Posts
I am curious to hear from the shooting public on what you think is the best concealed carry gun for lefties.........I practice regularly and will get accustomed to any gun I purchase.
Given this, there is no "lefty" gun that I would recommend. If you're willing to work with the gun, nearly any of the modern, popular guns can be effectively used by a lefty, with or without changing mag releases, etc., to accommodate. I've been shooting Sigs mostly for 35 years (Sigs are not normally considered a lefty-friendly gun) just fine. I toyed with swapping the mag release but have found that I prefer leaving the gun stock and adapting to it (rather than the other way around.)

There are guns with ambi controls (most of the new H&K offerings have them) but I just don't think they're necessary for someone who is willing to take the time to adapt to a chosen gun. I can shoot a "righty" Sig P228 as well and as fast as any right handed shooter I know (no, not Max Michel fast but more than good-enough.)

Pick a gun you like for reasons other than being a lefty and then learn to shoot it well.

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^

I am left handed.

I adapt ,improvise and overcome as well.

Have M&P's that I just leave "rightie" as its just as easy to dump mags.
Same with my old Smiths and New Sig 2340.
Sig is .357 sig as well as the M&Pc, and they fit my hand well.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Same as one shot, I adapt to the pistol and can work the controls just fine. Pick what gun works well for you and practice.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Walther PPQ is great for us lefties; from mag release to slide stop they are a dream to shoot for us south paws. Glock Gen 4 and M&P are pretty good too.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Contrary to my esteemed colleagues, I DO prefer lefty-friendly firearms. Of course, that is primarily because I prefer manual safeties. If that were not the case, I would undoubtedly be fine with a "wrong-handed' pistol. I have swapped mag releases on some guns, and find it to be no real advantage. In fact, I am considering changing my Beretta back. I am, however partial to the 1911 platform, if you are looking for a single stack. I am not a single stack fan, so I am unable to make any suggestions. As far as double stack, my preference is for either the Beretta PX4, or the HK P30S. I am considering a Walther PPQ, but so far, all my pistols are hammer fired.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I too am a lefty and I have a M&P9c. I didn't specifically look for a gun that could be ambi but that is the gun that felt most comfortable to me of the ones I shot. I see no reason to adapt to a gun that I don't have to. If I bought a gun that wasn't changeable that would be different. Why adapt if you don't have to? Yes I could train enough but it would be like using right handed golf clubs and adapting to playing them right handed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am lefty. My guns are para ltc & para p13w/ ambi safeties and Springfield xds45 that I continue to thumb sweep when I shoot

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I really like this tread! Thanks for posting it!

Some of us shoot very well with both hands - regardless of what side of the brain or eye we think or see with. It is really strange and many times I won cases of beer on the USMC requal, pistol, for shooting left hand.

Any of the 92 Berettas can be configured with both left and right side mag ejection. The real issue is the slide retraction and that is really set up for right hand shooters on the majority of semi-autos Revolvers and Wheel Guns are more equal and easier for lefties. It you shoot only from the left, you need to learn how to 'reach around' for that one.

Any good combat shooter, right or left handed, should learn and be able to rack and stack a new mag one handed, with belt or inside knee cocking, to be considered proficient...... Just saying.

I really do like this tread.

Looking forward to the wisdom and responses from you'all!

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I am curious to hear from the shooting public on what you think is the best concealed carry gun for lefties. I am partial to single stack guns for their slim portability, but if you feel there is a double stack out there that blows them all away, let me know. Also, I will be using 9mm, so if it is not available in that caliber, I am not interested. I don't have a preference on an external (ambidextrous) safety or point and shoot, so let me know what you think. I practice regularly and will get accustomed to any gun I purchase.
My personal preference is for a pistol or revolver without any manually-operated safety switch. But if a gun does have active manual safeties, it had better be ambidextrous. Why more makers don't do that is beyond me. Lefties represent a fair portion of the market, and anyone whose arm is out of action is going to need to use the other. Bad juju, if one is unable to lever the safety if not simply target shooting the way the manufacturer presupposed one would.

Have shot almost exclusively righty-configured handguns since I started in ~1990. In all cases, but a few, I was easily able to manage via judicious use of my index and middle fingers of my left hand, operating the magazine release and slide stop/release accordingly. I found it offered more leverage and positive action than my puny thumb. Big-circumference guns have always worked against me, in that way, as my thumbs simply can never reach up to the slide release of many guns (ie, Glocks or SIGs).

I've also loved the CZ P-01 9mm, which is configured with a large slide stop/release lever and a large decocking lever. Set up as a righty pistol, nevertheless it's extremely easy to use as a lefty. Astoundingly reliable. No manual safety; decocker. A bit on the wide side, perhaps, certainly when compared to slimmer Glocks or any of the micro single-stacks on the market.

For relatively compact double-stack pistols of unsurpassed reliability, I would recommend the H&K P2000SK 9mm. Hard to beat, that one. A bit more expensive than most, on a par with SIGs, perhaps a bit more. Ambidextrous slide release; DAO in the LEM variant; no manual safety. A bit on the wide side, perhaps, certainly when compared to slimmer Glocks or any of the micro single-stacks on the market.

Another double-stack you might consider is the Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro 9mm. Haven't owned one, myself, but many people rave about them as one of the great, under-appreciated bargains on the market. Highly reliable, easy to use, ambidextrous controls.

Colt makes a couple of smaller 1911-style pistols. Check out their New Agent (.45) and Defender (9mm, .45) lines.

And any of the third-generation 3900, 5900 and 6900 series S&W pistols ought to do you nicely, as well, although they are long since discontinued. Well supported by gunsmiths, and lots of examples and parts on the market. Reliable, durable, well-regarded.

I cannot really recommend any of the single-stack pistols, as I either haven't used them or (as in the case of Kahrs) have used them but have had bad experiences with poor reliability.

Here's a search tool that might help you narrow down some of the options: Handgun Database Search @ Genitron.com.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Walther PPQ is great for us lefties; from mag release to slide stop they are a dream to shoot for us south paws. Glock Gen 4 and M&P are pretty good too.
I have been on this quest for many years and have acquired many handguns in the process. A Glock, even a gen4, sucks mightily in the category of left hand ergos when compared to a Walther PPQ.

If we are in the realm of good quality reliable 9mm, the hierarchy of left hand ergos would be

Walther PPQ >> H&K P30 >> MP9 >>> Glock 19!

YMMV

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm a lefty shooter. I CC either my XDS .45 or my XDs 9mm. I got the 9mm because it has an ambi mag release and because its the same form factor as my .45, I could use all of my existing accessories such as grip extension and holster.

With that said, I also shoot Sigs for open carry. Even though I'm a lefty, I've adapted and can shoot and operate the mag release on my P220 and P228 just fine.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
My son in law is a lefty & for IWB his favorite is Nate Squared holsters without Kant.

·
Registered
102 Posts
lefty here, carry an SR40c, has an ambi safety and mag release. I prefer a manual safety, and have made it part of my draw to flip the safety. no extra time need when you have done it so often you don't think about it anymore. if it's a fun gun I don't care really, if it's a carry gun it either needs to have an ambi safety or be SA/DA.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Southpaw too. For a single stack carry gun I like the Sig 239 in 9mm and carry one. I prefer to leave the mag catch on the left and use my trigger finger to drop the magazine, but you can easily reverse it if you like. The decocker is located on the left but it's simple to move your left thumb up and over to quickly and easily decock after racking the slide to load a round in the chamber. It is extremely well made, reliable and accurate. Just another option for your comparison/consideration.

The only thing I've changed is the grip - removed the factory grip panels and use the Hogue Rubber WrapAround Grip.

And fwiw, I don't like to switch controls on handguns to make them more "left-handed" friendly. I don't use the slide catch to release the slide, I slingshot it. And as I said I leave the mag catch on the left. That way I'm comfortable picking up just about any semi-auto and operating it without having to look for the position of controls.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Lefty here too and I agree to an extent with the "adapt to the gun principle"...but not across the board. As has been covered here, if you want a manual safety, then I highly suggest you get a pistol with an ambi-safety. It will be too difficult to reach over and sweep off a righty safety. Other than that, I recommend training with all righty controls. I have a swappable mag-release on my Gen 4 G26, but I choose to keep it where it is as my muscle memory over time causes me to instinctively mag-release with my left hand. Also, you want to be able to use a righty pistol in a pinch.

I would not just blindly adapt though. There may be some instances where a righty pistol won't work well and it would be senseless to try and make it work. For example, when looking for my first CCW I was down between a S&W M&P 9c and a G26. I shot the S&W ever so slightly better, but the mag release was in a position that I would accidentally release it while racking the slide. I examined my grip on the pistol and noticed that the mag release was placed within my natural grip so I chose the G26. Of course the M&P may work well with your grip...each person is different.

As far as lefty-friendly single stack CCWs, I would look at a Sig P938 (single stack), Walther PPS (single stack). For small and very concealable double stacks, I would look at the Bersa compacts as well. Not particularly lefty friendly but they work well lefty...Glock G19/G26, S&W M&P 9c.

I would think long and hard before considering a Kahr as some of their pistols (I'm not very familiar with them) recommend that you load the first round using the slide release and this would be difficult for a lefty. I would also avoid ambi manual safeties that are located on the slide like a Beretta M92. As a lefty you will be more apt to slingshot to rack, and a slide-mounted safety can be accidentally engaged/disengaged during that process.

FWIW I manipulate my mag-release and slide release with my left hand. I haven't had much luck manipulating a slide lock with my left hand though. I still switch hands to rack the slide back to make the pistol safe.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts