Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have been all over the Internet trying to find some details regarding a sort of detailed question about concealed carry in Montana. I am currently a resident of Washington but will be a resident in Montana in about a year. Time to leave the big city life. So here are my questions.

1. I know that I am covered in Montana with my Washington carry permit. Is it legal in Montana for me to carry concealed in a vehicle if I have a passenger that has been convicted of a felony in Montana about 10 years ago?

2. In the future when I move to Montana and have a Montana issued carry permit can I carry in a vehicle when I have a passenger that has been convicted of a felony in Montana about 10 years ago?

The reason I ask is that I have an old friend who lives in Montana that was convicted in the past of fraud. Long story but they pleaded no contest and a felony conviction was passed down to them Not a violence felony or anything like that. I am just curious to know if I am within the laws eyes if we are riding together in a vehicle. If anyone could point information to me it would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
first place to start is: Handgunlaw.us

Read both Washington's and Montana's. It is a good idea to look up the laws directly as well (and the above website will tell you where...)

I don't see what your friend being a felon has to do with you carrying. As long as you don't let them have possession of your firearm I don't see an issue. I wouldn't leave it locked in the car and let them borrow my keys either.

just me .02 cents... I am not a lawyer

oh and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
As long as he is not in direct control of a firearm,his being in close proximity to you is not against the law,he may also look at getting his felony expunged since it wasn't a violent felony and if he hasn't been in anymore trouble it's pretty easy to do

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Time to call the lawyer. Might be illegal for your friend. Why doesn't he try to get his record cleared?

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Welcome to thew forum.

As to your question, as long as you maintain control of the weapon and do not leave it unattended in his presence you should be fine. That being said, IANAL so best to do further research yourself.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Montana has NO laws prohibitting the carrying of weapons in vehicles; concealed, unconcealed, doesn't matter. If its not prohibitted by statute, it cannot be illegal.

Some of our laws just don't make any sense--cannot carry concealed in resturants that serve alcohol; cannot carry concealed in banks; BUT there is NO STATUTE that prohibits open carry in a bar or bank--go figure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts