Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the recent shooting in Las Vegas the question has been raised by the media, if you carry how does responding law enforcement identify the good guy from the bad guy?
Thoughts

·
Banned
2,462 Posts
Did they ask Law Enforcement? If not, that's where I would start. Having said that, I think the amount of carriers shot because they were misidentified as the perp represents a very small percentage of an already small percentage of people who actually carry a firearm.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
As a citizen, your most likely goal is to either GTFO or hunker down and protect yourself. If you are escaping, the moment you see police you drop the gun, raise your hands, and get on your knees. If you're hunkering down because there's still danger near you, the moment you see police you drop the gun, show your hands as safely as possible, and start communicating with them.

If you're a CCW holder and you've drawn...when the police arrive, PUT THE GUN DOWN and raise your hands.

You'll probably end up face down in cuffs for a period of time while they sort things out.

You'll be released soon enough.
Yup yup. Everyone gets cuffed til things get sorted out. With a gun there is a very good chance you'll end up in cuffs longer than most. Just be cool and cooperate.

Reactions: Bigsteve113

·
Premium Member
33,757 Posts
CCW sash and badge.
As laughable as that is generally regarded, I've yet to hear about anyone being shot while displaying either of them.

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
I see, even in us, the paranoia that the media has pushed about police response. We are reflecting in our responses the idea that we are likely to get shot because we are under police scrutiny, yet, there is no evidence that this is likely. Law enforcement response is more restrained now than ever before in my opinion; everyone is erring on the side of caution. If your hands are up and their is nothing in them, you are not going to be shot by police.

·
Registered
33,911 Posts
If your hands are up and their is nothing in them, you are not going to be shot by police.
Don't forget to shout, "Hands up, don't shoot!"

·
Registered
33,911 Posts
As laughable as that is generally regarded, I've yet to hear about anyone being shot while displaying either of them.
I dunno. If I saw someone wearing that, it might be worth taking a shot myself just on principles.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Good answers !!! Common sense goes a looooong way in these situations !!!!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I had a solution but you guys mocked my fanny pack and CCW badge so now I'm not going comment.

Seriously. This is one reason that I tend to not get involved unless I have a dog in the fight. If you hear someone shooting in a mall and run toward the sound with a gun drawn and see three other guys with guns drawn, how do you determine which, if any, are the bad guy? I did some time in several shooting simulators and it was very sobering. You usually don't have all the SA needed to accurately evaluate a situation and a mistake can be deadly.

I had a scary experience when I was in the AF. I was on perimeter security and none of our guys were supposed to be outside the perimeter. I heard people coming through the woods and pretty soon I saw two guys holding a third at gunpoint and walking straight toward me. All were wearing US AF uniforms and I didn't recognize any of them. I drew down on the whole bunch of them and things were pretty tense for a couple of minutes.

It turned out that the guy being held at gunpoint had stolen a uniform and was trying to sneak on base. The two guys with the rifles were security police that had spotted him and were bringing him in for questioning. They failed to communicate the situation over the radio and very nearly got shot.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I had a scary experience when I was in the AF. I was on perimeter security and none of our guys were supposed to be outside the perimeter. I heard people coming through the woods and pretty soon I saw two guys holding a third at gunpoint and walking straight toward me. All were wearing US AF uniforms and I didn't recognize any of them. I drew down on the whole bunch of them and things were pretty tense for a couple of minutes.

It turned out that the guy being held at gunpoint had stolen a uniform and was trying to sneak on base. The two guys with the rifles were security police that had spotted him and were bringing him in for questioning. They failed to communicate the situation over the radio and very nearly got shot.
In tactical situations as in many other situations in life, it is rarely possible to over-communicate. But if you have to choose one, over-communication is better than under-communication every time. You have got to make sure everyone who needs to know what's going on knows.

Just like that actor that almost got shot the other day because the people shooting the movie didn't bother to tell the neighbors or the cops that there was going to be a guy in a ski mask with a fake gun out and about.

Reactions: ep1953 and Rhinoman

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I see, even in us, the paranoia that the media has pushed about police response. We are reflecting in our responses the idea that we are likely to get shot because we are under police scrutiny, yet, there is no evidence that this is likely. Law enforcement response is more restrained now than ever before in my opinion; everyone is erring on the side of caution. If your hands are up and their is nothing in them, you are not going to be shot by police.
About 15 years ago police responded to a bank robbery in central Florida. They observed a black male with a handgun running down the street and ordered him to stop. He didn't comply and was shot and killed.

The Black Male was a detective from a neighboring jurisdiction that had observed the robbery and was chasing the robbers on foot. He tried to explain to the police, but failed to drop his weapon and was shot.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Wear a shirt like this as a cover shirt (pattern is good for helping conceal slight printing):

Wear a t-shirt like this underneath between gun & skin, remove cover garment when prudent. :wink:

:sly:

Reactions: montejames

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
With the recent shooting in Las Vegas the question has been raised by the media, if you carry how does responding law enforcement identify the good guy from the bad guy?
Thoughts
Im not trying to be rude here, by stating the obvious, but the bad guy is the one who was killing a bunch of innocent people, and the good guys werent.

Because it changes things, or because there is practically nobody who owns/carries either? What happens when the bad guy brings his? In my opinion, it would be stupid for police to allow something like this, that can be purchased on the internet by anyone, to have any effect on their response.

·
Registered
Various
15,510 Posts
My wife is the Neighborhood Watch coordinator and hosts the National Night Out Against Crime block party. The local police have given me t-shirts over the years with their logos on them. It is better than a sash and CCW badge. :wink:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Im not trying to be rude here, by stating the obvious, but the bad guy is the one who was killing a bunch of innocent people, and the good guys werent.
But imagine the bad guy has gotten to where you are and you're exchanging gunfire with him, then the police burst in. How do they know which of you, if either, is good or bad?

·
Premium Member
33,757 Posts

Because it changes things, or because there is practically nobody who owns/carries either? What happens when the bad guy brings his? In my opinion, it would be stupid for police to allow something like this, that can be purchased on the internet by anyone, to have any effect on their response.
The police don't get to allow or disallow. Such badges and sashes are perfectly legal, at least as far as I know.

·
Banned
2,462 Posts
But imagine the bad guy has gotten to where you are and you're exchanging gunfire with him, then the police burst in. How do they know which of you, if either, is good or bad?
They most likely don't. The question is would you not exchange fire (assuming that was your only option) and possibly die, because you were worried that the police might shoot you by mistake?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts