Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have had a subscription from the beginning. They have some great articles, and they just keep getting better. The magazine also interviews "regular people" who carry for each issue, they all have different stories and reasons for CCW. Which is great for showing to non-gun types of people who need help understanding “the whole gun thing”.(I have some liberal friends, that just don’t get it, yet.)

Concealed Carry Magazine

I hope some of the people here find this one better than most (or most all) of the gun rags on the news stands today. I know I have so far.
:cool:

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Article in CCW One of their writers a Maria Heil said she would call the POLICE if she was out in public and saw someone openly carry. Her opinion was that is INTIMIDATING Many states allow open carry and what people do in those states in not her concern. I am INTIMIDATED that she is allow to owne a weapon let alone CCW Gun writer gives the anti's more ammo. If you subscribe to CCW cancell If not don't waste your money .I cancelled my subscription after 1st issue what a overpriced peice of trash. This was reported on S&W board.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Hi Michael T,

Maria Heil is the National Press Coordinator for Second Amendment Sisters. I just re-read Ms. Heil's article in Issue One of CCW and there is nothing of what you speak of in the article. If what you are referring to is quoted in another source, I would like you post exactly what she said and in which publication it was quoted, please.

(from a 2001 press release)
Second Amendment Sisters (SAS) Reacts to the "Gun Stoppers" Program and the "ASK Program"

Austin, TX -According to a Pittsburgh Tribune-Review article by David Conti, dated Friday, August 24, 2001, "Local residents can get $125 or more by calling 911 to report people they believe are carrying weapons without a license, under a new program unveiled Thursday by Pittsburgh police." Gun Stoppers, which is paid for with a Federal grant, "...asks for residents to call police with the location and description of people they believe are carrying guns. In return, 911 operators will give the caller a secret code." This "secret code" will enable the caller to collect their bounty money later.

In searching for information on the "Gun Stoppers" Program on the Internet, we discovered that this has been linked with the "Crime Stoppers" programs in many areas. While anonymous information on crimes ALREADY COMMITTED may be a good way to help solve some crimes, SAS feels that this so-called "Gun Stoppers" program is fraught with problems.

Some problems arise because they are really asking people to TURN IN ANYONE they suspect is carrying a gun, since the ordinary citizen cannot determine if the gun owner is carrying legally or illegally. This can set up the scenario where the police are busy pointing their guns at innocent, law-abiding, concealed carry license holders more often than not.

There are also numerous ways that criminals can use this program to their advantage, either as a distraction tactic or as a way of determining if a victim they are stalking is armed or not. We also cannot discount the possibility of "revenge" calls. Also, will the innocent victim of the tipster have any recourse after having to go through such an ordeal as having police treat them as criminals and possibly confiscate their legally held firearm?

This program is an insult to all gun owners as it categorizes all gun owners as "potential criminals" Most chilling are the last two sentences of the Conti article, "In April, the ATF conducted a training session for more than 250 city and school police officers on how to identify someone who is carrying a gun illegally. "They are trained for certain things to look for...certain mannerisms and things people do when they're carrying a gun," (Pittsburgh Police Chief Robert W.) McNeilly said."....

Second Amendment Sisters is a grassroots organization dedicated to preserving the individual basic human right to self-defense.

Maria Heil
National Press Coordinator
Spokesperson
Second Amendment Sisters
877-797-4857
www.2asisters.org

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Thanks, Michael T. I'm hoping the other poster just misread what Ms. Heil wrote. If it's true, though, it'll be a big disappointment. There are pro-gun people who are against open carry, but they shouldn't foam at the mouth like an anti and get those who do carry openly in trouble. All they suceed in doing is shooting their own feet.

It's sad that the public has been conditioned to fear guns (and gun owners).

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Betty the story in question is nov/dec issue pages 35-36 The part in Question has been reprinted at The High Road. Fromwhat I reading if she on our side were in trouble. She should have more sense than to write such dribble.

·
Registered
89 Posts
She may have not said it right.....

Yes she said she would call the cops if she saw some one open carrying, but she was talking about being in a store with her kids getting food(Probably a little over protective but that is a mothers job). Maybe she would or would not, that whole article doesn\'t matter to me as we can not open carry in my state any way.I am not defending her but just stating the hole thing ment nothing for me.

I did not like that article, or her statements about open carry, but rest of of the articles were much better than last issue. We should give them a chance, and offer help or sugestions, and get after the editer to stop slanted statements of that sort, not just write complaints on the net. This is the only magazine like it, and there is only one way to make it better.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I'm going to copy/paste it here:

Quoting part of the article by Maria Heil, Concealed Carry Magazine November/December issue, page 35 - 36:

"The open carry camp saw carrying in the open as an opportunity to show others that just because one has a gun, one isn't intent on committing a crime. Actually, they said that it was one way to show people that gun owners are just normal people, and also as a way of initiating dialogue.

Now, let me tell you what I think, from the perspective of a woman and a mother. First of all, let me say that I conceal carry everywhere I can. I also openly carry only on my property.

If I was in a Starbucks or a Subway with my childrean, and men walked in with firearms openly carried, I would try to get the kids the heck out of there while I was calling the police. If I were there without the kids, I would probably be watching the armed men very closely while simultaneously preparing myself for confrontation and making my way towards the door. I certainly wouldn't take time to stop and chat!

Think about it! What would your reaction truly be?.......Can you imagine what the reaction would be from some women or mothers (or even some men) who only know about firearms through the mass media? Odds are it would not be a positive reaction that would initiate infromative dialogue."
She's right about general public reaction to open carry - many would be afraid and/or call the police.

While she appears to be against open carry in public, I wonder if she\'s truly speaking about what she would actually do or just using herself as an example of a woman and mother in public. As press coordinator for SAS, she needs to be very careful about what she represents.

If she'd actually call the police, I think she's being irrational. I've come across a people open-carrying before, and it's their demeanor and actions that speak for them.

Ms. Heil is going to have to clear this up.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Excuse my spelling I am going to type the part in question.
Quoting the section in question, fron Concealed Carry Mag Dec issue by M. Heil
"If I was in a Starbucks or a Subway with my children and men walked in with firearms openly carried. I would try to get the kids the heck out of there while i was calling the police. If I were there without the kids, I would probly be watching the armed men very closely, while simultaneously preparing myself for confrontation and makeing my way towards the door. I certainly wouldn't take time to stop and chat"
She writes for gun mags and carries concealed Who side she on and who would you feel safer with the men or her.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Please don\'t hang me....!

Holy Cow! I just stumbled across this forum and it sounds like you guys want to hang me! Two things. #1: I agree that Maria's column was questionable last month. We're getting lots of letters and she'll have to defend her article in the next issue's letters to the editor. Personally, I'd like to go to the shopping mall with my M1A slung across my back. #2 michael t; please give my magazine another chance... we've come along way in the last 9 months. We're very, very small and understaffed so please have a little patience. That is all for now. Sincerely,
Tim Schmidt
Publisher
Concealed Carry Magazine

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
If Ms. Heil had bad wording and didn't mean to come across the way she did, her words will be happily taken out of context by the antis. If she did mean what she said, the antis will be jumping up and down in glee.

It amazes me that sometimes fellow gun owners can do more to hurt our own cause than the antis.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been following this thread since the posting and pulled out the past issue (I have been a subscriber for 2-3 months now) that michael t referenced before Betty so kindly posted it here for us all.

I live in Arizona, an open carry state. I have open carried in my car for years but only on a couple of occasions carried openly while out of my vehicle. Here in Phoenix, people look at you funny because even though it is legal it is EXTREMELY uncommon to see. I ultimately decided that even though it was my legal right to open carry, I would not do so in public because I didn't want to draw attention to myself. I like having the right to carry openly, but in practice it just isn't everything its cracked up to be in a very heavily populated area. People don't know whether you are a good guy or a bad guy. If you have kids and family around I guarantee you won't take chances with their safety.

Now here's where I am probably going to get you all stirred up, michael. Mary Heil said, "If I was in a Starbucks or a Subway with my children, and men walked in with firearms openly carried, I would try to get the kids the heck out of there while I was calling the police. If I were there without the kids, I would probably be watching the armed men very closely while simultaneously preparing myself for confrontation and making my way towards the door. I certainly wouldn't take time to stop and chat!"

While I might or might not call the police (as Betty said, \"... it\'s their demeanor and actions that speak for them.\"), by default I would not. I would do exactly as Mary said with the exception of the text underlined above. But I absolutely would call Police if it appeared that these guys were about to commit a crime. Here in Phoenix, calling them would probably prevent a crime more often than not because you simply don\'t see people open carrying around here. If you called police in Precott, AZ however, the police would probably not even show up. It is somewhat common there.

There are many occasions where, when asked a question by the media, the person answering messes it completely up. Unless you frequently speak with the media I bet you would, too. I know I probably would.

If Mary Heil turns out to mean every word of what she said, she may not be a good spokesperson for the pro-gun cause. Since she seems to recognize that the right to carry is important I wouldn\'t brand her anything near a liberal anti-gunner. And I would not do so with Concealed Carry Magazine. I am encouraged that a magazine such as CCM has hit the market and I will support them because they are supporting my cause. They are supporting your cause, as well. I am rooting for their success. Every shred of good press that CCW gets I am ecstatic. I think CCM is a good magazine that will be a great magazine with our support. A lot of people are giving me a chance with this forum, I will give them a chance as well. If we don\'t, we may wake up and find they aren\'t in business anymore and we will all have to carry your own banner.

Just my opinion, worth about as much as you paid for it ;)

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by ccm-tim
Holy Cow! I just stumbled across this forum and it sounds like you guys want to hang me! Two things. #1: I agree that Maria's column was questionable last month. We're getting lots of letters and she'll have to defend her article in the next issue's letters to the editor. Personally, I'd like to go to the shopping mall with my M1A slung across my back. #2 michael t; please give my magazine another chance... we've come along way in the last 9 months. We're very, very small and understaffed so please have a little patience. That is all for now. Sincerely,
Tim Schmidt
Publisher
Concealed Carry Magazine
Don't worry, ccm-tim, nobody's gonna hang ya here. We are all on the same side. It is a forum, however, so be prepared for some criticism. I think you will find the majority will support you even if we don't agree 100% with everything you publish. When my renewal comes up I will sign up for several years to make up for michael :D

I was reading your magazine last night (between running back and forth to the forum to see what the member count was up to) and groaned at reading one of the letters to the editor. It was the last one on page 3 where the reader was chastising you for "not having the courage to name the candidate you support" even though it was obvious to him by your statements. Pulling support from your magazine for something like that is incredible to me and probably illustrates why national CCW issue or federally mandated reciprocity will be a hard sell. As CCW holders we just don't pull together solidly enough to get something like that through.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and good luck with the magazine. If there's ever anything we can do, don't hesitate to let us know.

Bumper

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I see you've been discussing my latest article in CCM.

First, let me make something clear...I am no longer the National Spokesperson for Second Amendment Sisters. I left that organization in mid-May of this year.

Below is an email that the magazine received about my article, followed by my reply.

Additionally, I want to clear up what may have been a slight omission on my part. When I wrote about being a mother with kids in the fastfood place and calling the police...I was thinking back to the days when my kids were small, and that was BEFORE I became active in the battle for our Second Amendment rights. That IS what I would have done BACK THEN, and that's the reaction I think many non-gunowning, non-Second Amendment educated mothers would have today.

Also, yes, I would make for the door if armed men came into the fastfood place now. I am a gunowner, but I am not going to wait around to find out if they are just guys carrying open, or guys intent on doing harm. I look at the situation as a Trojan Horse kind of thing. While I am prepared to defend myself, I avoid situations where I might have to. It's also a different story if they come in with guns-ablazing...

Here is the email the magazine received-
--Regarding Maria Heils article on concealed or open carry: seig heil Maria! I guess it's OK in YOUR opinion to ONLY carry concealed because that's how you want it to be.
Let me say that while I have a ccw, I carry openly 99% of the time. Here in Arizona one need not have a license to carry openly. I\'ve carried openly in banks, malls, etc with No problems.
The more people see open carry, the MORE they accept it!

BTW, even though I live in an unincorporated area, I work & travel a lot in Phoenix & Scottsdale. So, even in the bigger cities I have no problem.
Rob (last name withheld by Maria)

Here is my reply--
Rob,

First, let me say that it is a poor argument that opens with a grade school tactic of
twisting a person's surname to create a slur. It also seems pretty bigoted as well.

Now, the article IS my opinion, but you've apparently read more into it than was there.
I never stated that concealed carry is the "only" way "I" want it to be. If you really read
the article you would see that I do open carry on my own property. Actually, I never even
state whether "I" prefer to open carry or conceal carry. What I did write was that mostly
when open carry is utilized the outcome is a negative view of gun owners in general.

That's great that you don't need a license to open carry in Arizona...you shouldn't need a
license to conceal carry either, in any state.

I believe that women are going to make the difference in this battle to save our Second
Amendment rights. (Note-I'm not saying that the government granted those rights, but rather that
the Second Amendment protects those rights here in the United States.)

Being that I'm a woman and a mother, I wrote the article from that perspective. It is my perspective
that people who carry openly in the belief that "The more people see open carry, the MORE they
accept it!" are simply not thinking outside of their own little box.

Rob, have you asked perfect strangers what they think of you carrying openly when you walk into a bank?
Have you asked a women with small children in a fast food place what her opinion is that you
have a gun on your hip? If you haven't talked to everyone that has seen you carry open for their
opinion, then you are simply assuming that they are accepting of the open carry. This is wrong.

Human beings are complex creatures. There are perhaps THOUSANDS of different thoughts that
could go through a person's mind when they see a gun openly carried by a civilian. To assume that
they accept the whole concept of gun ownership simply because some people open carry is a very
narrow minded view of gun ownership and people in general.

There are times when it's best that people NOT know that someone is carrying a gun. One scenario
that comes to mind is maybe in that bank you carry in. Suppose an armed criminal enters the bank,
who is the first person they might "take out"? The guy in line with a gun on his belt, or the woman
standing next to him? You know the answer...never mind the fact that the woman has a .45 tucked
in her waist with her blouse covering it.

When people conceal carry, they are looked at on their own merits, not on the sometimes controversial
issue of guns. With concealed carry, first there is a judgment on you as a person, not a judgement on
the gun that you carry. With open carry, you are judged first on the gun (and the media bias will come into
play here) and most often they never get past that to the person.

As I said in the article, with concealed carry there is mostly no judgment on the gun because people don't
know it's there. If the need arises, and the gun must be used, and the outcome is positive, then there
has been a "win" for gun owners.

With open carry, there is a judgment made with the preconceived notions already existing in a person's
brain. It's not very often that that results in a "win" for gun owners. I'm not saying that all the notions
are negative, but I'm convinced that the majority of the time they are not positive due to the anti-gun slant
of the so-called mainstream media.

I guess, what I'm saying is "Why open that can of worms?" Let people get to know you first, then start
in on them about the gun issue.

Don't get in their face, get in their minds.

Thank you for your comments.

Maria Heil

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Maria,
Thanks for the clarification.

I prefer concealed carry for myself for any number of tactical reasons. I prefer to fly under everyone's radar and not be First Target or have someone creep up behind me.

I also don't mind openly discussing guns and using myself as a "non-stereotypical" gun owner to help convert fence-sitters.

People used to carry openly in the good-ol'days without others ducking for cover. It's a shame that the landscape has changed and we now wear a scarlett letter on our chests. I hope that landscape will change again, and it may, but it won't be any time soon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also am a subscriber to CC magazine and really like it. It's only going to get better in my opinion.
In regards to open carry, I prefer keeping a low profile.

·
Banned
29 Posts
All anyone has to do is say that you are disturbing

their peace, raise enough hell with the local media and politicians, and you are going to get convicted. It's not worth the risk. I want my having a gun to be a BIG surprise, to everybody.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts