Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a masters student at a private college in pa. I have been wondering if it is leagal for me to carry on campus. I know you are not allowed to carry in a public school as in a high school or a elementary school, but were do we draw the line.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I am a masters student at a private college in pa. I have been wondering if it is leagal for me to carry on campus. I know you are not allowed to carry in a public school as in a high school or a elementary school, but were do we draw the line.
Check PA statutes. Some states don't allow carry on any campus (FL, for example) while others don't make it illegal, even though the Univ. Bd of Regents (or whatever you call them) will expel students found with a weapon (even if legal).

·
Registered
203 Posts
You often sign a contract at the beginning of the year if you live in on-campus housing, which states that you will not bring a gun on campus.

It's private, so they can enforce whatever rules on guns they want. Read the "student manual." If there's nothing about guns, then treat it like any other private establishment that you can carry in.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Howdy from Hallstead! :wave:

PA Uniform Firearms Act

§912. Possession of Weapon on School Property.

(a) Definition.—Notwithstanding the definition of “weapon” in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), “weapon” for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.—A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense—It shall be a defense that the weapon is pos*sessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose. (Added by L.1980, Act 167(1), eff. 12/15/80.)

-----------------------------
Best site for researching CCW ---> Handgunlaw.us

:smile:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Concealed is concealed. Pocket carry is the way to go here.

But, if you are found out, and the school tries to throw the book at you and throw you out, do you have a plan B?

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Howdy from Hallstead! :wave:

PA Uniform Firearms Act

§912. Possession of Weapon on School Property.

(b) Offense defined.—A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.
[emphases added]

INAL and I have no current knowledge of PA Law.

However, this citation appears to only address K-12.

Thoughts or other citations re: post secondary schools??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is why I was asking. I got different answers from every one. I just met the head of security there the other day he is former lawinforcement I think I am going to ask him and see what he has to say. He carries on campus but I know with him that it is a completely different story.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Most schools actually have "campus police". Walk in and ask them (before you carry of course). I had questions for the campus police here at Univ of CO... and the officer I spoke w/ there was very nice and polite and full of information. She had info on campus carry and carry around campus and when she wasn't sure about what she considered a gray area regarding a round in the chamber... she contacted the local DA for clarification just to be sure.

Never go by just campus or just state laws. Depending on where you live... one may trump the other so it is best to inquire both at the campus and county level.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think I am going to ask him and see what he has to say.
That's probably not a good idea. There is no Commonwealth law against carrying on college campuses. There likely is some policy for students and employees. So, you can't be arrested or charged with anything (except possibly criminal tresspass, if you were asked to leave campus and refused), but you could be expelled.

You should weigh the risks involved for yourself. If you decide to carry against university policy, you probably don't want to raise suspicions with campus security.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts