Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully some of you will take the time to help me out with this. I'll try to be as short as possible.
I am a service technician for a petroleum company. I repair all petroleum equipment at gas stations, car/truck rental places, airports, etc. I'm put in awkward situations all the time during the day and at night where I wish I had my firearm with me just in case things ever escalated, such as a store getting robbed while I have it shut down for repairs. You can see the hostility that some people could have towards me for delaying their day.

Getting to the point, I understand that NC state law mentions "As long as the person has a concealed handgun permit, they can carry a concealed handgun unless specifically prohibited by another law."

I understand that employers can prohibit carry in the workplace or in an extension of the workplace, but two things have to happen. It has to be clearly stated, along with some laws mentioned, in the employee handbook in "black and white", that such company has a "No-Carry Policy". Also, the 30.06 article has to be posted at the workplace in multiple locations/entry-exit.

Now, my workplace has no posted signs, nor does it say clearly in the employee handbook that weapons/firearms are not to be in the workplace, etc.
Here is what it says in clear plain text, and is the only mention of subject matter.

"(Threats and Violence Policy) - Our policy is to strive to maintain a work environment that is free from intimidation, threats or violent acts. This includes, but is not limited to, intimidating, threatening or hostile behaviors, physical abuse, vandalism, arson, sabotage, use of weapons, or any other act, which, in management's opinion, is inappropriate to the workplace."

Now, with that spelled out, I don't see any mention of a "No-Carry" policy even when reading between the lines, although it does say "Use Of Weapons", which in fact if I ever had to defend myself or someone else on the job, I would most likely be fired.

With all that mentioned, what are your opinions? I would love to know what I should do. I know I should inform my manager that I plan to carry, which could fuel the fire and promote someone to add the "No-Carry" policy to the handbook and company.
So what should I do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What should you do? You should consult with a lawyer instead of gun enthusiasts on the internet.

Thats exactly what you should do.
I don't want legal advice, because my job isn't on the line. Gun Enthusiasts are also aware of the laws in their area, as should you be. I'm just curious if anyone else has been in the same situation before, and what they've done if anything.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I will give you my opinion, and it is only that. IANAL. Your company does not appear to prohibit the CC of a handgun. I don't think you would be breaking the law carrying at work.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Unless you are a contract employee or armed security your job could very well be on the line. Maybe not for asking if you can carry, but if your employer finds out you are carrying. The vast majority of people fall into the category of employment "at will." Hence the advice stands.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Ask for clarification on the policy from the appropriate person in the company. Pocket knife ok? Gun? Spork? Multi-tool? But certainly don't risk your job unnecessarily. Depending on your relationship with your company, a lawyer might be the best way to go.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
You are a bit misinformed on NC law. There are no such requirements for specific signs on premises or legal references in employee handbooks.

It's far more likely you'll be outed by someone seeing your firearm when you don't realize you're printing or exposed and reporting it than you actually needing it for self defense.

You say your not interested in legal advise since you say your job isn't in jeopardy. You may wish to reassess that opinion. You can be terminated for carry where you're told not to and an ex-employer who fires you doesn't usually give favorable references.

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are a bit misinformed on NC law. There are no such requirements for specific signs on premises or legal references in employee handbooks.

It's far more likely you'll be outed by someone seeing your firearm when you don't realize you're printing or exposed and reporting it than you actually needing it for self defense.

You say your not interested in legal advise since you say your job isn't in jeopardy. You may wish to reassess that opinion. You can be terminated for carry where you're told not to and an ex-employer who fires you doesn't usually give favorable references.
I missed where I mentioned that I was carrying on the job. I'm actually not carrying at work, and haven't. I have not asked to carry yet until I was fully aware of the policy and laws. My job isn't in jeopardy because I haven't carried, and I haven't been told not to carry, nor is it anywhere in the policy not to carry. I don't quite understand where your coming from. I didn't realize an employer could ban weapons on the job just by word of mouth.

In NC, an employer can prohibit CC by formally making it a part of a company policy to prohibit employees to carry at the workplace. This does not affect others (Unless a 30.06 sign is properly displayed), only employees. In fact, if the company has put the no-carry policy in place, it does not have to display a 30.06 sign to prevent employees from carrying.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
If you ask if it's OK and they say "no" then you would be breaking the law if you continued to carry. Since there is no sign nor anything in the handbook about CC I personally would NOT ask and continue to carry (put probably very deeply) but know you may lose your job. I would hope you could pull the "I didn't know it was against the rules since I have a CC carry license it was never stated anywhere I couldn't carry" card and hope IF it ever came out they would let you off with a warning.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Well, it's important to be realistic about employment. If an employer wants to fire you, he'll fire you, and if he can't do it explicitly because you carry, he'll make up some other reason and never have to prove it.

Now, if they haven't explicitly prohibited carry, it would seem likely that they wouldn't disapprove, but you never know. And even if they approve today, if tomorrow you actually shoot someone while on the job, their opinions might change radically. I'm not saying carry or don't carry, just that you shouldn't assume your job to be safe.

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Registered
527 Posts
"(Threats and Violence Policy) - Our policy is to strive to maintain a work environment that is free from intimidation, threats or violent acts. This includes, but is not limited to, intimidating, threatening or hostile behaviors, physical abuse, vandalism, arson, sabotage, use of weapons, or any other act, which, in management's opinion, is inappropriate to the workplace."

Now, with that spelled out, I don't see any mention of a "No-Carry" policy even when reading between the lines, although it does say "Use Of Weapons", which in fact if I ever had to defend myself or someone else on the job, I would most likely be fired.

With all that mentioned, what are your opinions? I would love to know what I should do. I know I should inform my manager that I plan to carry, which could fuel the fire and promote someone to add the "No-Carry" policy to the handbook and company.
So what should I do?
Unfortunately, I believe, carrying a firearm could/would meet both the bold above. So I believe you can't carry. But I've been wrong before, just ask my wife.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Unfortunately, I believe, carrying a firearm could/would meet both the bold above. So I believe you can't carry. But I've been wrong before, just ask my wife.
Note: it says USE of weapons, not possesion of weapons. Seems it could be argued he is within the rules if he never used it. But also says "ANY act deemed inappropriate by the manager", that could be anything from carrying a firearm to looking at someone funny. Guess it boils down to how important is this job vs. how much in danger to you feel working there? I woud certainly feel a lot more inclined to try my luck carrying if I was pizza delivery guy or convenience store worker than working in a print shop.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
To me, that does not specifically say that you cannot carry. I have read lots of company policies that very specifically do prohibit employees from carrying, and this is not anything like those. It does leave the door wide open for the company to easily throw you under the bus if it gets to that though. If it were me, I would carry without asking. I think that this might be one of those "It is better to ask forgiveness after the fact, rather than permission before" cases.

If I were in your position I would ask myself "How much do I trust myself to carry concealed with no one ever being the wiser?", "How well am I at keeping a secret from everyone, even my best friend at work" and finally "How well could I deal with losing this job, if worse comes to worse?"

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have always put my life a priority over any job, I have been in the work force for over 40 years and had a lot of different jobs, I have always carried regardless of company rules. I never disregarded state laws. I currently drive an oil truck and have been for the past 14 years, my boss doesn't care if I carry or not, he also owns the company. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
..... "(Threats and Violence Policy) - Our policy is to strive to maintain a work environment that is free from intimidation, threats or violent acts. This includes, but is not limited to, intimidating, threatening or hostile behaviors, physical abuse, vandalism, arson, sabotage, use of weapons, or any other act, which, in management's opinion, is inappropriate to the workplace." .... Now, with that spelled out, I don't see any mention of a "No-Carry" policy
dlquick89 ... While not an expert on the matter and while certainly not offering legal advise, this policy contains the "or any other act, which, in management's opinion, is inappropriate to the workplace" clause which is common in employee handbooks and intentionally provides the employer with the opportunity to interpret the policy as they see fit (in their best interest) because at the end of the day it is based on "management's opinion". If you are truly interested in their real stance as it relates to your right of self defense in the workplace, one option would be to ask for clarification in writing. A simple letter/email like the following to your manager/personnel director should do.

Dear *****,
After recent review of our employee handbook, I have a question regarding the company's "Threats and Violence" policy. While I appreciate and fully support the company's desire to provide a work environment "free from intimidation, threats or violent acts", and have never engaged in such activity, I'm curious how the company views the employee's right of self defense against such activity since it is not addressed in the policy. Accordingly, and solely for purpose of self defense, is it permissible for employees on the job (whether in office or in field) to have on their person items such as pepper spray, blackjack, concealed firearm (assuming license), knife, etc? Please advise at your earliest convenience.
Respectfully,

It will likely force them off the fence one way or the other. While you may not like the answer if it leads to a "weapons ban" policy, at least you will know what their intent was when the original policy was written and can make your decisions going forward accordingly. Good luck with your decision :smile:

Reactions: Militant

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
"Use of weapon" and concealed carry are not the same thing so carry well concealed and unless you have to defend your life there will be no problem .

IF you have to use your weapon to defend your life then is your life worthy of a new job if your fired ?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ask for clarification on the policy from the appropriate person in the company. Pocket knife ok? Gun? Spork? Multi-tool? But certainly don't risk your job unnecessarily. Depending on your relationship with your company, a lawyer might be the best way to go.
Had a guy do that once told manager...he was asking for me as well.. we were gone in 2 weeks.

Carry or don't, but don't say anything to anybody.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Exactly...............
What should you do? You should consult with a lawyer instead of gun enthusiasts on the internet.

Thats exactly what you should do.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Whether or not one can CC on the job can be a difficult thing to ascertain. I was lucky. My company is a 2-man show. My boss and I. I knew he had some firearms himself, so I chose to ask him if it was okay for me to CC on the job. He gave me his approval. When you work in a larger company with a lot of people involved, there is no telling what answer you might get if you ask.

The risk I had to accept was that if my boss said no, I would then have to do as he said.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts