Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I just ordered a Kimber Pro Carry II from my local shop and put some money down on it, but now I'm wondering whether or not it would be better spent on something else.

I'm thinking about the money, number one. For the $900 I'd spend on the kimber, I could get a small glock and a revolver of sorts. Or I could get an AK for fun and a glock or revolver.

What are your thoughts on my process here? I do really want the kimber, but I'm just wondering if that amount of money may be better spent in a different capacity.

Thanks!

Edit: I have a Taurus 24/7, an SKS, and a Mossberg 500 right now. This new gun would be for concealed carry.

·
Registered
829 Posts
very personal decision, with your current listed inventory the 1911 seems a good way to go, but since you asked opinions I would go for a pocket/ankle pistol for back up and a thin micro pistol for deep concealment IWB. Then I would add the higher end items...

·
Registered
81 Posts
If the new gun will be an EDC gun, get what you know you will actually carry. There are many guns in my safe I love, but through much trial and error, I know I won't/can't carry due to size or weight considerations. I finally settled on a Walther PPS 9mm. I truly like the gun, I shoot it well, and it carries like a much smaller gun.

If you have your mind set on a 1911 for EDC, then proceed as planned. If you want a 1911 and think you MIGHT carry it.... then maybe some more thought should be given to the purchase.

Set aside $100+ for a quality holster as well. My $.02.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I have a Kimber Pro Carry HD-II. IMO it is one of the finest guns I've ever owned. The craftsmanship is top notch and it is reliable 100% of the time. It is my carry piece and was well worth the price. The only mods I have performed was to add night sights and smooth walnut grips.

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
I have two Kimbers and both are great guns. I have, however, made my Glock-36 my EDC...I have chosen to learn to point shoot with ONE EDC, my Glock.
If I were to do it all over again, I would have started with my Glock, but then all of our choices of guns is because of our own shooting and carrying experiences. What works for one, may not work for another.

Go with your gut.:yup:

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I was gonna drop a thousand on a new Kimber a couple weeks back and after some serious thinking and a few trips to the gun store, I made a similar decision. I opted for a Glock 36 and decided that I'm gonna pick up another Glock maybe a G26, but I'm wanting to check out the Sig 9mm lineup before making up my mind. My thoughts were along the same line as yours, two quality pistols for the price of one High end Kimber. I like options in my CC so that's that. I'll add a Kimber down the road anyway, so no big deal.

Good luck with your decision.:hand10:

GBK

·
Registered
115 Posts
Kimber is a fine weapon but I can buy a Glock 19 and a 23 for $484 each. They are not as attractive as the Kimber. Matter of fact, Glocks are plain as hell. But they are just as dependable as the Kimber, shoot just as straight and probably recoil a bit less.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
It is strictly a personal decision. IMHO, I'd go with the Kimber.:yup: See my signature line.:image035: But, it is purely a personal choice.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I carry a variety of guns, one of which is a Kimber Ultra II CDP. It fits a particular carrying niche for me, but I only carry it on certain occasions. Consider having several guns to choose from, depending on activity, method of conceal and weight of the weapon. You can get other less expensive guns that are just as accurate and dependable but get the gun that you will truly enjoy carrying and shooting. Buy the Kimber, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Think about the total budget for concealed carry, and make your pistol purchase decision with the bigger picture in mind.

GOOD belt: $50-100
GOOD holster: $50-200
ammo & range fees to familiarize yourself w. the new everyday carry: $______
CHL permit fee, class fee, etc: $______

If you can afford the Kimber & all the other items, knock yourself out. Otherwise, subtract all these other items from your budget, and see what you have left to work with.

I paid $565 for a Walter PPS, plus $100 for two extra 8 rd magazines, $100 for a beltman belt, ~$65 for a holster, $140 to the Texas DPS for the CHL fee, another $140 for the class, fingerprints, and pictures, plus god knows how much on ammo & range fees. It's not cheap!

·
Registered
328 Posts
truly is a personal choice

The kimber is a fine weapon. I understand where the I could get two for this price is coming from. If you didn't already have a Taurus and a shotgun I would say you had a reason to spread the budget but If you have the money and want the weapon spend the money. Just remember to enjoy whatever you purchase.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I learned a long time ago that going with less than what I wanted was never satisfying and eventually a waste of money.

If the Kimber is what you want then it is what you should get.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Two weeks ago I bought the Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II with a 4" barrel. It's by far the most accurate handgun I've ever fired. Don't 2nd guess yourself, you made the proper decision. Besides you've got a couple others to work with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like some buyers remorse to me. Perfectly natural. Go with your first instinct and don't second guess. You'll love it. If you want more or different, get more or different later.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi, look at Dan Wessons Bobtail classic commander. Absolutely wonderful, easy to conceal and is in .45 acp. I have a Kimber pro crimson grip in .45 and a DW bobtail. Both are very fine and will each serve you well. I do think that the DW is a better made firearm and has a better trigger. She is also chock full of Ed Brown parts and is very tight. Do yourself a favor and handle one. You might find someone here who will meet you and let you try her. Both her and at the 1911 forum are GREAT and will help you in what ever way they can. Santa01:santaclaus:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Stay with the Kimber... It's not like this is the last gun you're gonna buy... I have a Tactical Ultra II and at times, I've thought the same thing you're thinking now... I could get rid of the Kimber and get two guns... Then I pick up the Kimber and all those thoughts disappear...

If you don't get what you really want, you'll be sorry in the long run...

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think it needs to be asked..."Are you proficient with the firearms that you already own?" "Do you know the basics of shooting and shooting properly?" (And just because you have been shooting for years and your uncle who was in the army taught you how...this does NOT mean you are shooting properly).

I ask these questions due to the obvious fact that cost is a factor here and that becoming proficient with a handgun (the most difficult weapon to master) is expensive. At $20-30+ for a box of target .45, it adds up quickly. In my opinion you need to shoot 200-500 rounds through every weapon before you should trust it as a carry tool...that means $100-250+ just to trust the weapon...in that time you should have become fairly comfortable and proficient but don't plan on it unless you are an experianced shooter with proper techniques.

I would ask if you should not maybe out some or all off the $900(Kimber)+$75(holster)+$250(breakin ammo)= $1,225 toward ammo, lessons, range time...

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
11,313 Posts
I'm not all that familiar with Taurus handguns, but any reason you can't just carry the 24/7 you already have?

As far as Kimber vs Glock...that's a big ol' can o'worms. The Glock will run right, straight out of the box. The Kimber...not so much. As I understand it, they have a considerable manufacturer recommended break-in period.

After horrible experiences with several Kahr pistols, I've decided I will NOT buy ANY handgun that needs a break-in, period.

Do a search for "Handgun reliability poll" and you will also see that you have a higher probability of having issues with a Kimber than with a Glock (or XD, or Ruger, etc). Remember, "tight" is not a good thing is a defensive gun - you want a certain degree of "slop" so the gun functions well with a broad array of ammo, while dirty, etc.

I'll put my fire retardant underwear on now...flame on...

·
Registered
702 Posts
I learned a long time ago that going with less than what I wanted was never satisfying and eventually a waste of money.

If the Kimber is what you want then it is what you should get.
I fully agree with the above. Get what you want and don't overthink it. I have been going through nearly the same decision process. I really want a Kimber (Ultra Covert II or Ultra Raptor II) as my EDC. Been bouncing back and forth between 2 cheap or 1 expensive. No doubt that I'm going with the Kimber.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Only you can make a decision like this all we can do is list different combinations of guns you could get for the same $$, or what we would do. That doesn't mean it is right for you though, only you can decide what is right for you. If it turns out not to be right, that is what Gunbroker is for!!

NCH

1 - 20 of 34 Posts