Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the state of Texas and most other states there are places you can't carry. Does anyone understand the reasoning behind these limits?

Schools

Hospitals

Nursing homes

Government buildings

Places where alcohol is over 51% of business (this one I could maybe agree with)

Also why would a business put up the 30.06 banning CCers from carrying?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Government buildings cannot be restricted unless they share a building with others that have posted 30.06 (federal is separate)

As for the reasoning; you will get many different answers, but they were made into law. Once they exist they are difficult to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Many gun laws have absolutely no rhyme or reason. I've given up trying to figure them out.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Just my way of thinking. Many people perform mercy killings in hospitals and nursing homes. A sign or law is not going to stop this from happening. People violate laws all the time.

There are some laws that do not make sense.

Schools: As we have seen a lot of school shootings take place. We have made these no gun zones into criminal safe zones. The criminals know there will be only token resistence to their crimes in gun free zones so they can do as they please until a good guy shows up with a gun. Many times once a good guy arrives with a gun, he is then treated as a criminal. A kid shot and killed a few in a school several years ago in MS. A principal retreived a gun from his vehicle and stopped the boy from shooting others. He was hailed as a hero by the community but labeled a felon by the Feds since he had a gun on school property.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
In the state of Texas and most other states there are places you can't carry. Does anyone understand the reasoning behind these limits?

Schools

Hospitals

Nursing homes

Government buildings

Places where alcohol is over 51% of business (this one I could maybe agree with)

Have you been through your CHL class yet? If so, you were given some bad info.

Hospitals/Nursing homes are not off limits unless there is a valid 30.06 sign. Government buildings (State, County, or Local) are not off limits, unless they have a court room or court office in them, and even if they do put up a 30.06 sign it is meaningless unless there is a govenmental meeting taking place at the time.

Why a business would put up a 30.06 sign is a matter of the business owner/managers thought process. Around here the only places that have signs are the hospitals. I think their reasoning is that people may be distressed by the news of a loved ones medical condition or death and they don't want folks going off on a tangent.

Whether that is a valid concern or not can be debated. But if you are found in violation of the 30.06 code, it is a Class A misdemeanor, and that isn't a risk I am willing to take.

For state purposes, here are the prohibited places.

Court room or any building containing court offices.

Polling place on day of election or during early voting.

Secure Area of airport

Bar

Racetrack

Within 1000 feet of location on day of execution.

Fails to conceal the handgun.

Correctional facility.

School Premises or place where school function is taking place.

High School, collegiant or professional sporting event.

Any place except a gov. building which has a valid 30.06 sign.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Because they say so. These things are usually to comply with federal law (polling place) but mostly to appease the liberal lawmakers in an attempt to gain their support.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts

Schools

Hospitals

Nursing homes

Government buildings

In Virginia only 2 of those apply. Federal Government buildings, courts and Kindergarten-High School. The rest are legal to carry. As to why it is like that. It was basically compromise to get the initial laws through and never been changed. VA has a very active Grassroots organization that pushes for changes to our laws.

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's because the anti-gunners realize they couldn't come for your guns all at once, so they are whittling away at the second amendment with "reasonable" measures. It's not that it protects anyone from crazy people.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I have used this page off and on when I am curious if I can CC in a certain place.
Houston CHL Class | Concealed Handgun License | DoubleActionCHL.com

-BTO-
They really should remove the section on hospitals/amusement park/churches/governmental meeting, as it simply falls under the 30.06 statute like anything else.

Texas on the other hand should have stricken that portion of the law when they changed it 15 years ago or so, since many people fail to continue to read the statute where it reads that these sections do not apply without effective notice under 30.06, which makes them the same as any other place in the state.

The first thing I do when I get to this portion in our classes is have the student mark these sections with a big bracket and put 30.06 outside of it and explain these sections no longer apply.

Reactions: USM1976

·
Registered
145 Posts
They really should remove the section on hospitals/amusement park/churches/governmental meeting, as it simply falls under the 30.06 statute like anything else.

Texas on the other hand should have stricken that portion of the law when they changed it 15 years ago or so, since many people fail to continue to read the statute where it reads that these sections do not apply without effective notice under 30.06, which makes them the same as any other place in the state.

The first thing I do when I get to this portion in our classes is have the student mark these sections with a big bracket and put 30.06 outside of it and explain these sections no longer apply.
I see what you are saying about cutting that section out of the page but its a couple years old and I just use it for quick reference.

And who needs a gun at Six Flags anyways? Lol

-BTO-

·
Registered
252 Posts
Florida has a long and bizarre list of restrictions:

any school, college, or professional athletic event (are Marlins fans that dangerous?)
any school administration building (no kids to "protect"!?!)
any area vocational-technical center (isn't this usually for adults?)
inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport (ask AZ about their airport shootouts)
any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district (do we scare our overlords?)
any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof (ditto)
any polling place (has anybody ever shot up one?)

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts

any school, college, or professional athletic event (are Marlins fans that dangerous?)
any school administration building (no kids to "protect"!?!)
any area vocational-technical center (isn't this usually for adults?)
inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport (ask AZ about their airport shootouts)
any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district (do we scare our overlords?)
any polling place (has anybody ever shot up one?)
Not aware of any being shot up, however it was a common intimidation practice in the past.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I thought all Post Offices were off-limits, too? :confused: Doesn't seem to stop the employees from "goin' postal" but AFAIK they are a no-no, also.

·
Registered
37,060 Posts

any school, college, or professional athletic event (are Marlins fans that dangerous?) No, but Jacksonville fans can get crazy.
any school administration building (no kids to "protect"!?!) School related
any area vocational-technical center (isn't this usually for adults?) Ditto
inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport (ask AZ about their airport shootouts) We haven't had any airport shootouts. Maybe that's why?
any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district (do we scare our overlords?) Remember the city council meeting a year or so ago where the guy walked around shooting while some woman beat him with her purse? That's Florida for yah.
any polling place (has anybody ever shot up one?) No, but someone would if they could.
I'll take my chances here in Fl.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I c&p the following from the internet about TX hospital carry. While I am not a resident of TX, I do occasionally work come firearm cases there as well as other states. I also do not deal with carry issues but rather shooting issues. Back in the late 90's when TX first began issuing permits, hospital carry was totally forbidden.

Hospitals are a gray area due to conflicts in the law and multiple provisions that may apply to a medical facility:
License holders were originally prohibited from carrying concealed inside a hospital without written authorization, under TPS 46.035(b)(4).
An amendment in 2007 added paragraph (i) to the same section, stating that (b)(4) does not apply if the license holder did not receive compliant notice under TPC 30.06, which basically requires hospitals to post compliant 30.06 signage to prohibit CHL holders from carrying.
But, a hospital may be a "teaching hospital" and thus a "school", in which concealed carry is prohibited with or without signage.
It may also be a VA or military hospital, and thus subject to Federal prohibition on weapons carry.
"High-security" wings of a hospital used to treat convicted inmates fall under the heading of "correctional facilities", again prohibited with or without signage.
Lastly, all hospitals are required under Government Code Section 411.204(b) to post a sign stating, similarly to a "51%" establishment, that possession of a handgun whether licensed or not is a felony. It is unknown, given the amendments to 46.035, whether the GC 411.204 signage would actually prohibit a CHL holder from carrying, as it would not constitute "effective notice under section 30.06" and GC 411.204 does not describe failure to heed such a sign as an offense by the license holder.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
...this is extracted from the latest issue of the TX CHL16---Concealed Carry Handbook...it is accurate and may be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8mu9PgJHbs

...from the Tx Govt Code: http://law.onecle.com/texas/government/411.204.00.html

(b) A hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety
Code, or a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and
Safety Code, shall prominently display at each entrance to the
hospital or nursing home, as appropriate, a sign that complies with
the requirements of Subsection (c) other than the requirement that
the sign include on its face the number "51".
(c) The sign required under Subsections (a) and (b) must
give notice in both English and Spanish that it is unlawful for a
person licensed under this subchapter to carry a handgun on the
premises. The sign must appear in contrasting colors with block
letters at least one inch in height and must include on its face the
number "51" printed in solid red at least five inches in height.
The sign shall be displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible
to the public.
(d) A business that has a permit or license issued under the
Alcoholic Beverage Code and that is not required to display a sign
under this section may be required to display a sign under Section
11.041 or 61.11, Alcoholic Beverage Code.
(e) This section does not apply to a business that has a food
and beverage certificate issued under the Alcoholic Beverage Code.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, § 10.01(a), eff. Sept. 1,
1997. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, § 9.16(a), eff.
Sept. 1, 1999; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 523, § 1, eff. June 18,

Section: Previous 411.198 411.199 411.1991 411.200 411.201 411.202 411.203 411.204 411.205 411.206 411.207 411.208 411.241 411.242 411.243 Next
Last modified: August 11, 2007

...the sign required by (b) and described in (c) (without the 51 as (b) explains)...is fulfilled by a proper 30.06 sign...so the two don't conflict...they complement each other...and, if absent, allow , according to PC46.035 (i) us to carry concealed...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts