Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Perfect example of how most police officers conduct themselves. Out of the thousands of police officers throughout this country no doubt there are a few bad ones mixed in. Thankfully I believes those bad ones are in a very small Minority. I have the upmost respect for law-enforcement they have an extremely difficult and dangerous job that has become more dangerous in recent times. To all the Leo's out there thank you for your service and stay safe.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I have been stopped twice in the last 6 months and have given my ccw. No problems what so ever.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
My last moving violation was in April 19 so I don't tend to get stopped much, though I have been stopped twice in the past 16 years. In the first case, the stop was a mistake on the part of the officer. The second case I am pretty certain was with an officer in training. In neither case was I hassled, disarmed, or even asked to exit my car. Both officers were very professional and there were no surprises on their side or mine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
"Because his wallet was in his back-right pocket, the officer needed to disarm him to check his ID".

I don't agree that was warranted. A gun is safest for all concerned when it's in its holster. Disarming is an unnecessarily dangerous step. There are other, better, ways for an LEO to protect himself in the described scenario.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
"Because his wallet was in his back-right pocket, the officer needed to disarm him to check his ID".

I don't agree that was warranted. A gun is safest for all concerned when it's in its holster. Disarming is an unnecessarily dangerous step. There are other, better, ways for an LEO to protect himself in the described scenario.
I agree with this ^^^^^.

NOT necessary...he already has all of drivers info available to him before he gets out of his patrol car.

I wonder if when LEO's hunt...do they disarm folks in hunting camp...for their safety?

They also want to run the serial # on the gun...this is known as phishing.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm wondering why the driver didn't get everything out of his pocket before the Leo approached the car?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
How does a police officer disarming me make it safer for both of us? I read back through it but couldn't find the part where the police officer was disarmed...for both of their safety. They must have accidently left that out of the article.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I'm wondering why the driver didn't get everything out of his pocket before the Leo approached the car?
I recently read it is not a good idea to be moving around getting your paperwork out and ready as the officer might consider this suspicious and dangerous movement while he is walking up the your vehicle.

Reactions: bigpapa

·
Registered
712 Posts
I agree with this ^^^^^.

NOT necessary...he already has all of drivers info available to him before he gets out of his patrol car.

I wonder if when LEO's hunt...do they disarm folks in hunting camp...for their safety?

Wrong he has vehicle info he has no way of knowing that the person driving the car is the same one the car is registered to until he sees that person's drivers license

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Wrong he has vehicle info he has no way of knowing that the person driving the car is the same one the car is registered to until he sees that person's drivers license
Sorry, not wrong, in my state and I am sure, most states, drivers license is linked to car registration...he can even have my DL picture on his laptop before coming to my window.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Sorry, not wrong, in my state and I am sure, most states, drivers license is linked to car registration...he can even have my DL picture on his laptop before coming to my window.
I think what Poppy42 is saying is that the officer will have the driver's information for the person the car is registered to, but he doesn't know who's driving that car until he approaches and checks your DL. You could be driving your wife's car, your dad's car, a friend's car, etc. He doesn't know for sure if the driver is the one the car is registered to until he approaches.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Don't drive much. When I do go more than a few minutes, I put my wallet in the dash where it is plainly visible or I get it from my weak side pocket before I stop. In fact, I usually keep my pistol in the center console where there is nothing else he might want to see on a long trip.

Any suggestions on where to keep the registration and insurance other than the glove box? My wife will get that before we stop, but it is always a concern if I'm alone.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
You also could look different from your drivers license considering how long some are good for . Your hair could be grown out or cut short you could have facial hair or not maybe laser surgery has you not needing glass to see well . My license is good for 8 years here . My looks have changed a lot prior to me last DL update ?? I had short tight hair an a clean shave with mostly brown hair . Then 7 years later I had a long beard and 6" pony tail both mostly gray and had one officer have to look at my eyes straight on to know it was me in the photo . I also live near the state line and drive into Tennessee often . They will have ZERO info about a CC license .

·
Super Moderator
19,380 Posts
I agree with this ^^^^^.

Really? My wife's car is registered in my name. The rented car I drove last business trip was not registered to me. You're assuming that a running a plate number gives the officer everything he needs to know about the car's driver - and that could be an unfortunate assumption.

As far as LEOs disarming people they're hunting with - that's just silly.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I see this as a privacy issue (sorry, I do not agree to give up privacy for a perception of officer safety). It is why, as I've said before over the years, that I plan to (when I move next) to either register my cars to a trust or create a privacy LLC and register them to that.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a pouch clipped to the visor with my reg and insurance card. I spoke to a leo in my town in colo about 6 months ago and he said initially he would not know if I had a ccw during a traffic stop but could dig deeper and find it if he wanted.

Don't drive much. When I do go more than a few minutes, I put my wallet in the dash where it is plainly visible or I get it from my weak side pocket before I stop. In fact, I usually keep my pistol in the center console where there is nothing else he might want to see on a long trip.

Any suggestions on where to keep the registration and insurance other than the glove box? My wife will get that before we stop, but it is always a concern if I'm alone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a CCW, but in Arizona you don't one to carry concealed. What sucks is that if I want to go to California, I can't bring a firearm. I feel like I'm naked with a giant bullseye on my chest there! You can't even own a vest in CA. If you wanted. There's way more firearm crime there compared to AZ. That sad excuse for a governor in CA had the gall to immediately blame AZ for the massacre in San Bernardino! Our governor demanded an apology, but never got one,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts