Defensive Carry banner

Backpack guns / concealed rifles / PCCs in urban self-defense scenarios are:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen several internet warriors and guntubers talking about stuffing a long gun in a backpack (or wherever) for urban environments. Be it SBRs, pistol braces, folding stocks, tiny little PCCs: generally they're talking 20+ extended round capacity and rifle-like grip and use.

ASSUME LEGALITY!!! I don't wan to go down the rabbit hole of what's legal in all 50 states, tax stamps, and whatnot.

Assuming you legally can, would you reccomend carrying a long gun concealed wherever when in urban environments? Not asking about hiking/camping.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have absolutely considered it. Legally my Extar EP9 is considered a pistol. I can be much more accurate with it than a pistol, and probably faster.
The downside is that it is just too big for EDC, unless you are going to go around wearing a trench coat!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Not for me. I ain't looking for trouble, I'm staying away from it. If I don't feel comfortable wherever I'm at with my edc, I have absolutely no business being there.

But I suppose if I was into that kinda stuff and 30 years younger, it would be alright, I guess.

·
Premium Member
5,541 Posts
Not for me. Time to pull out the rifle and assemble it? Time that could be spent getting out of harms way.

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
The “ self defense” industry in my opinion has become a fear based entity for profit, more than anything else.

Somehow, they have used the gear technique to convince everyone that you have to have more of everything just to get yourself home at the end of the day.
More ammo, bigger guns, tactical accessories, tactical training, and gadgets and gizmos to hang off guns that must contain copious amounts of ammo with plenty of extra magazines to keep them fed.

I suppose it’s a natural reaction of the consumer to feed in to this, never wanting to be caught unprepared for the worst of the worst case scenarios dreamed up.

And of course, the dollars follow the “ what if’s”.
The major problem is the consumer is very rarely, if ever the one who benefits.
But the industry is the clear winner every time.

The way I see it is a simple handgun that you will have on you, can access quickly, operate proficiently, of any caliber, capacity or type, will handily suffice for anything one will ever need to use it for.

·
Premium Member
3,914 Posts
Why not a machine gun, or a bazooka? An armored car to carry it all? I prefer to avoid the trouble rather than feed into it.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Carry a rifle in a backpack while roaming around in public? NOPE I would not do that and would not recommend doing it ( even where legal).

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
We are now always just one cell phone video of a “white cop vs unarmed black man” away from mass riots. If people work or commute through big cities, it could absolutely be beneficial. I don’t carry a backpack gun or anything like that, but an AR pistol may go with me in my vehicle.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,130 Posts
I may have long guns in my vehicle, but never concealed on my person. A long gun short enough to conceal is worthless to me unless it is a full auto. I am very accurate with a full size rifle or shotgun. I am accurate with a handgun. With the in-betweens, I want full auto to be effective.

·
Registered
990 Posts
So I've seen several internet warriors and guntubers talking about stuffing a long gun in a backpack (or wherever) for urban environments. Be it SBRs, pistol braces, folding stocks, tiny little PCCs: generally they're talking 20+ extended round capacity and rifle-like grip and use.

ASSUME LEGALITY!!! I don't wan to go down the rabbit hole of what's legal in all 50 states, tax stamps, and whatnot.

Assuming you legally can, would you reccomend carrying a long gun concealed wherever when in urban environments? Not asking about hiking/camping.
Easiest is a Keltec Sub 2000 (Sub 2K). It folds in half.

There are AR Pistols that you can get a Law Tactical Folding Adapter for, and they fit in a laptop backpack. It’s legal for concealed carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Nope, not lugging around a rifle/braced pistol for EDC. If things are that bad, I'm going to do my best to stay out of those areas.
There was a time that I was tasked with covert overwatch and I did sometimes have a bag with an SBR. It was a PITA to maintain watch on the bag as well as the situation. Off body carry brings with it extra risks along with the benefits.
I would not want to do that every day all day without a team to cover me.

There has been a rifle secured in my truck for a long time. It's primary purpose is for coyote, but could easily be pressed into service for SD. Currently, I have a Mini-14 in the truck, but that sometimes changes. Two other rifles that often fill that role are lever action 16" carbines in 30-30 and 45 Colt, the 45 being my favorite coyote thumper.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
For the most part, no. There are inherent problems with such off the body carry setups. I can see where some areas may cause a concern about having one.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts