Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 20+ years of carry, I have found what works for me and I carry larger pistols than when I first started.
I always wear a thin t-shirt, so the pistol is not directly contacting my skin.
I've found that I like a minimal holster, prefer exposed muzzle and no sweat guard, as seen in pics.
Appendix IWB I can go as large as a Glock 19 or Commander (pictured) without too much worry about the cover garment.
I find Glocks not that comfortable for strong side IWB, so 1911's are my choice, full size 1911 pictured.

Didn't take pics with a cover garment, but I think its not very difficult to envision.
I've carried appendix IWB for years, no smaller than Glock 30 even in 100+ degree heat index.
I feel a transition to more strong side IWB and 1911 is in the making.
For size reference, I'm 6'1 about 215#

Concealing1.jpg
Concealing2.jpg
Concealing3.jpg

Both holsters are Fist, appendix IWB I got a Officers size and heated it with hairdryer to open for Commander.
The strong side holster originally was for a Glock 21, but I couldn't tolerate it; I cut it short and reshaped (hairdryer) for 1911.
Cant of that holster was adjustable, it is now fixed with adhesive and locktite; I also added a retention screw for security.

Whether or not anyone will notice printing if they quit looking at their phone is not relevant. :wink:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Your a thin man, so any type of carry will suit you. I do not like the Carrying in front though. Isn't that uncomfortable when sitting? I have to carry my Glock 43 on my side OWB. Even then I tend to print. I am 6' 255 Lbs of Fat so I have a tough time not printing or having my 43 bulging out the shirts I wear. I am currently looking for a long vest that I can wear, any Ideas?
Toolman Butch

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
It's that too big clip that gives most IWB holsters away.

Now if a creative Holster/Belt maker wanted to, I think it would be relatively easy to come up with a belt that has an outer layer or flap of material, probably leather to cover any type of clip. Then I think I'd start work on a completely different design for clips that better allowed for tucking an outer garment.

This could be a worthwhile project for any holster makers willing to take my challenge.

·
Registered
9,337 Posts
G17 05-13-2016a.jpg G17 05-13-2016b.jpg
No little guy here !

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
a properly carried appendix rig will hide a lot of gun even on a big guy, if memory serves that^^^ is a G17 on Kenny there and it rides high enough that he can get a full hand grip on it so those who say they cant carry that big of a gun need to look closer at their belt and holster than at their gun,,,I'm 6' and 170 with big shoulders and a small waist so yeah I can hide a Super Redhawk with a scope and an 8" barrel if I tried but anyone can carry a G19/P229 sized pistol with the right equipment and frame of mind...I do it in shorts and a T-shirt most of the year.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Picture are not the highest resolution but this is more or less the concept I described in my post #4. I'm carrying a Walther PPS. It's not a very large gun but I'm not a real big guy. What I'm attempting to display is how a simple IWB holster, in this case, a Galco Stow-N-Go might better conceal the clip and also how it can work with a dress shirt. For this, I'm wearing a work shirt and regular size jeans. I'm actually wearing 2 belts for this mock up. You can still see the clip slightly but I hope you get the idea of how simple it could be to design a better holster/belt combo that can work without over sized garments.