Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Open carry question about type of holster commonly used.
My concern is that someone could make a grab for my handgun – pull it out of the holster if it does not have a retention device.
Is that a concern for anyone else?? Obviously I need to be aware of my surroundings, but I don’t think it is possible to keep a 2-3 ft no person perimeter around me in crowded areas.
I probably will not feel comfortable OCng until I get a holster w/ a retention device ie. Blackhawk serpa or something similar.
Do you OC’ers use holsters w/ or w/o retention device/straps and why or why not??

Thanks
Hayzor

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Open carry question about type of holster commonly used.
My concern is that someone could make a grab for my handgun – pull it out of the holster if it does not have a retention device.
Is that a concern for anyone else?? Obviously I need to be aware of my surroundings, but I don’t think it is possible to keep a 2-3 ft no person perimeter around me in crowded areas.
I probably will not feel comfortable OCng until I get a holster w/ a retention device ie. Blackhawk serpa or something similar.
Do you OC’ers use holsters w/ or w/o retention device/straps and why or why not??

Thanks
Hayzor
I have a Blackhawk SERPA. It locks your gun in place and could probably hold your weight if you were hung upside down from it. Yet it easily can be drawn if needed. I would check it out.

In addition being aware of your surroundings is a bonus, and something you should always be doing. More so when you are OC.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I just got one today with the thumbreak. Personally, I try very hard to keep folks at at least 3 feet from me at all times. I don't like anyone in my "personal bubble" and if it's too crowded, I tend to leave. But yes, being aware goes a very long way when OCing. Also, how fast does someone have to be to grab your gun and get it out of its holster before you can reach down and stop them? (Note: Hammer Fist to the forearm tends to hit a very important nerve and should stop anyone in their tracks)

I hope that didn't come out sounding snotty, it wasn't meant to be. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I have open carried using a leather holster with nothing more than a screw that adjusts for retention. If you have good situational awareness and know what is going on around you at all times, someone wanting your gun probably won't try and reach for it. The Serpa holsters are popular for open carry due to their retention system.

FWIW I've never heard of any reports where someone open carrying was disarmed by another individual. If you're really concerned about retention you can get a level III duty holster which has at least two retention devices that need to be disengaged to draw the gun, and just attach it to a duty belt and use belt keepers. I personally do not like thumb breaks unless it is on a shoulder holster.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
No, I don't like alternating drawing methods. If I regularly carried around large crowds, I'd consider it.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Well, in FL CC prevents one from displaying his firearm and thus retention in a crowd is not a problem.
If in AZ, where OC is allowed, you could easily avoid your perceived difficulties by using a cover garment.
As a civilian, I still would not worry about weapon retention when carried on the strong side. Awareness around you is important...I would not be concerned with someone focused upon grabbing my weapon as much as I would focus on that same person just getting too close to me.

Stay armed...stay alert and always have a 'plan':image035:...stay safe!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I almost never carry OC, but my holsters are tight enough so that if not grabbed at the correct angle the gun could not be drawn except with great force. If they could finally get the gun unholstered I would be in bad shape anyway. Not a worry for me when I do OC on the way to and from the range, and if I stop off for a sandwich on the way back.

I don't believe anyone could simply get close and grab my gun out of the holster. They are just too tight.

However, this is one of the objections to OC. Except for the range trips I do not OC.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
SERPA seems to be the way to go if you are worried about retention.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I stand constantly with my forearm on weapon when I am around anyone. A lot of times, I do it even when I trust everyone around. Before, I OCed in a SERPA and still did so.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
I use the same holster for OC as I do for CC. Always worn IWB so it is pulled in close to the body. My weapon fits tightly in the holster and is not easliy pulled from the holster unless pulled straight up. Pulling from the rear or the front makes it almost imposible to get the weapon out.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Do yourself and the movement a favor and grab a retention holster before you start OC'ing. Also a good idea is receiving professional training on the topic of retention.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I use leather holsters at times when I OC. Both IWB holsters and belt holsters.
I prefer to use a Comp-Tac paddle holster when I OC. I set the retention on it pretty tight so I have to give it a firm yank to draw.
Never thought I'd like a paddle holster, but it carrys the weight much better than a belt holster. I can carry a 5 inch tactical and forget I have it on.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I carry in a Blackhawk serpa. That's OC or CC. I use the same holster for either to keep the same draw motion no matter my mode of carry.

I always try to keep people 3 of 4 feet away from me but realistically in public that is difficult to do.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I OC a G19 in a SERPA paddle holster. That thing is fast on the draw with a little practice. It's lightyears better than the thumb break strap holster I was using.

I'll preface this by saying I have seen one instance where a civilian was disarmed. Wish I could find the story again. Lots of mistakes made though. My point is that I was in an accident a few weeks ago. When the State Trooper arrived I asked if he wanted me to put my OC in the truck. He took 3 steps and disarmed me in a matter of seconds. I'm sure they practice, and if he was not a LEO I would have fought back. My point is that for someone who knew what they were doing it could happen quickly. It's not a big worry of mine, but worth mentioning.

I tend to keep my forearm in contact with my handgun. I try to position my handgun away from folks I do not know. I'll use shelves, carts or anything else to separate my handgun from a crowd. But definitely get some type of retention holster before OC'ing. And keep your SA up when in a crowd.

·
Registered
541 Posts
SERPA, thats a good start, then if you can take a course on weapon retention tactics,

I have a pretty good SA, and to this day if someone is walking or coming up behind me, I will stop move out of the way and let them pass. I know back in the states this is gonna be a transition that will require some work.

But I just dont like people behind me or people that I cant keep my eyes on..

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I OC I tend to favor a 3 o' clock position with a forward cant. This keeps it away from the hip bone and the draw is forward motion in front of me. Would be very hard if not almost impossible to be drawn from behind me. Also as stated above the SA is elevated and the forearm is always just above the grip.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use the SERPA paddle while I OC as well.

I have been looking for a leather belt holster without a snap-type thumb break-just don't like them, cheesy looking.

Do any of you have any experience with the Desantis Chek-Mate? It has a thumb release lever of some sort but the photos on their website do not show how this thing works.

While the SERPA is nice, it does hold my weapon away from my body quite a bit which I have learned to deal with. I'd like a level II leather belt holster which holds the weapon a bit closer to my side.

Any other suggestions?

Dirty

·
Administrator
21,267 Posts
I used to think that only a more beefy retention holster would do...

Until I was willfully disarmed by a LEO while carrying in my Galco Avenger, the officer could hardly get the gun out while I was complying, had it been a grab I could have had the guy for breakfast.

So, while an active retention holster isn't a bad idea, I would go so far as to say that it's not a requirement either. The Galco Avenger is an open top design with tension screw adjustment, however the draw needs to be vertical from directly above the gun, any grab from the front, side, or rear and that gun won't budge.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I like to use the SERPA too. It has a lot going for it and it doesn't cost much. I use the belt slot and not the paddle because with the paddle I couldn't remove it with my pants on. With that said I also wouldn't hesitate to use an open top leather holster for OC. I'm in the market for a good one for a 4'' 1911 that I can carry cross-draw at 9-10 o'clock. Any suggestions? That Galco Avenger JD spoke of may fit the bill. Never cared much for thumb breaks.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
unload your gun and have a friend try to get the gun out of your holster while you practice retention skills and ways to offensively strike with your elbow or palm to his face,while moving away

1 - 20 of 38 Posts