Defensive Carry banner

Condo Carry?

4K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  gottabkiddin 
#1 · (Edited)
In Illinois, the most gun-unfriendly state in the union, I could legally carry a firearm in my house and on my property. But I've moved.

I now live in a large condominium project (276 units) with ample common ground areas. I own 100% of my unit, plus a partial interest (< 1%) of all the common areas.

Can I carry when walking the dog around the condo grounds given that I have partial ownership of all the common ground areas?

Yes, I know I should ask an attorney.... and I will. But for now, I'm interested your opinions, especially if someone has a similar situation.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

#2 ·
Hi Jim - welcome to the forum.

In my opinion, I think that you'll be ok if you stay within private property (condo complex), but I could be wrong.

#7 ·
+1, IMO the common areas are for the public as it pertains to the residents and owners of the property. Not some joe blow that just happens to wonder up on private property. Like the others have stated, I'm no lawyer, but I do own property in Ga and it's called private property for a reason. If you don't live there you shouldn't be there. If you are a resident your considered a property owner IMO. Carry concealed would be the best advice I can offer. Good luck to ya.

GBK :022:

#17 ·
Frankly, I feel that is a recipe for disaster. Go ahead and carry where it's illegal and *HOPEFULLY* no one notices.

I'm not going to give my opinion, because I don't know if it's legal or not. As a lawyer and don't play your luck.

#4 ·
common grounds area is another way of saying public, you only own part, and even if you owned 100% of the commons, it is an area designated for all to use, not like its you private area, but Im no lawyer.

#5 ·
All it's gonna take is one spooked sheep to cause you a bunch of trouble.
Then you will be known as the crazy guy upstairs who totes a gun while walking his attack dog. I think it's a bad idea, but I don't think it's a dumb idea. You're damned if you do and if you don't.

#6 ·
Considering your location is Chicago and not knowing Illinois law I would say don't try it. At least not yet. You said you plan on seeing a lawyer. Do that now, before you risk being arrested by Chicago's "finest". With what we hear about that area a pound of prevention will save you a ton of pain. Stay legal and alive. I know sometimes its difficult to do both but do try.

#9 ·
From a Public phone

Don't be calling Chicago's Finest from your own phone asking if you can carry your firearm anywhere including your condo!
Do it from an anonymous pay phone and don't stay on the phone very long, ask the question, if they stall you hang up and walk away from the phone :)

#11 ·
Don't be calling Chicago's Finest from your own phone asking if you can carry your firearm anywhere including your condo!
Do it from an anonymous pay phone and don't stay on the phone very long, ask the question, if they stall you hang up and walk away from the phone :)
:rofl: If you are serious, please pardon me, but that made me laugh big time.:yup:
:bier:

#15 ·
I get the impression you are in the burbs. I can assure you that if you carry a gun, concealed, and the police find out, they will arrest you. You can try and figure out if you could beat the charge in court but I assure you you're going to spend the night in jail, go to bond court and have a felony arrest on your record for life. You will not talk yourself out of the handcuffs standing on the sidewalk. You will also earn the title of crazy gun nut neighbor. Please don't risk it, I know the gun laws here in IL suck but this is not the way to sample the freedom that most of the other states in the union enjoy.

#16 ·
First Welcome from Central Texas!!!!

Move to Texas things are different here!!!!

#18 ·
Welcome aboard from Mississippi. If I was you when I sold my house and moved, I would have moved furture away. I hate seeing my tax money being spend enforcing unconstitutional laws. I hate it alot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.