Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I was NOT going to post this but I figure I better come clean.
Here goes: My son and I went this afternoon to my gun store/range to specifically look at the Ruger LCR.
I've read a ton on the gun and was HOT to purchase one. I even posted about it a couple times.
Well, I hate to say this...but I was disappointed :frown:.
The trigger pull was EXCELLENT, BUT the cylinder could "free-spin" clockwise(as all Smiths and Rugers operate counter-clockwise in the firing sequence)quite abit before locking up.
The gun felt "loose" for lack of another term.
Spoke to one of the salesman and he said every one that has come in feels the same.
I do NOT want to knock Ruger (I've owned their revolvers and LOVED them), but I'm no longer keen on the gun.
I looked at a NO-LOCK Smith 442 and it felt like a Swiss vault in comparison.
I've owned Smith J-Frames(36,60 and 640),but never an Airweight.
I think this is the route I'll go..a NO-LOCK 442 or 642. My alternate will be a DAO SP-101 if I reconsider the weight issue. I just felt I had to throw my $.02 in.
I hope to hear from some LCR owners and their thoughts.:smile

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Now that you confessed, say three hail Marys and get the gun you truly want.

Not every gun suites every person. I am a die hard Glock addict. But Glocks are not for everyone. I know that.

This has been said several times and will be said again. Guns are like shoes. You got to find one that fits and works for you.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Congrats for coming to your senses. :hand10:

IMHO The Ruger LCR is for people who want an inexpensive , no
maintainence "throwaway when it breaks" gun.

I currently have 4 J frames plus several K frames and wouldn't
take an LCR for FREE :gah:

:wave:

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I have handled them at gun shows, and just do not like them at all. I bought the J frame.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
YOU AGAIN,at this rate your never gonna get into gun heaven,your penance will be recite the 4 basic firearms rules 10 times,fire 100 rounds thru the gun of your choice and now go in peace

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I handled one the day I bought my smith model 60, didn't like it one bit, and I unloaded am airlite to get model 60, didn't care for it too much either, nothing to do with quality though.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I went for the 642. Just felt better about the few extra bucks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would really have to shoot one to be sure but I do not like it either based on only handling it. It does not feel right and acutally seems big compared to a J frame.

I do think though it is lighter than a 642 style but probably not an AirLite. It figures that it feels different though. The thing is half polymer.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I am all for innovation and I respect Ruger for coming out with something different, but the J frames are tried and true and I see no reason what so ever to use any other small CCW revolver. As with all CCW handguns I am looking for 100 percent reliability or as close to it as is humanly possible to obtain.......thats what you get with the J frames. I will let other experiment.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I am all for innovation and I respect Ruger for coming out with something different, but the J frames are tried and true and I see no reason what so ever to use any other small CCW revolver. As with all CCW handguns I am looking for 100 percent reliability or as close to it as is humanly possible to obtain.......thats what you get with the J frames. I will let other experiment.
correct me if im wrong, but when Keltec came out, they didnt patten their product and they had alot of other makers copying their product. Looks like ruger didnt come up with something different, just a spin off of a Keltec. Like I said, I may be wrong about this so please correct me if I am..

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
I was NOT going to post this but I figure I better come clean.
Here goes: My son and I went this afternoon to my gun store/range to specifically look at the Ruger LCR. I've read a ton on the gun and was HOT to purchase one. I even posted about it a couple times. Well, I hate to say this...but I was disappointed :frown:. The trigger pull was EXCELLENT, BUT the cylinder could "free-spin" clockwise(as all Smiths and Rugers operate counter-clockwise in the firing sequence)quite abit before locking up. The gun felt "loose" for lack of another term. Spoke to one of the salesman and he said every one that has come in feels the same. I do NOT want to knock Ruger(I've owned thier revolvers and LOVED them), but I'm no longer keen on the gun. I looked at a NO-LOCK Smith 442 and it felt like a Swiss vault in comparison. I've owned Smith J-Frames(36,60 and 640),but never an Airweight. I think this is the route I'll go..a NO-LOCK 442 or 642. My alternate will be a DAO SP-101 if I reconsider the weight issue. I just felt I had to throw my $.02 in. I hope to hear from some LCR owners and their thoughts.:smile:
I cannot duplicate any free spin except when the cylinder is open

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This particular LCR(which is a rental gun used by people at the range)would allow me and the saleman to spin the cylinder clockwise almost a complete revolution before locking up. Like I said, I've owned Rugers(a Super Blackhawk and a Security-Six)and loved them..but this gun just "felt" loose. The gun store didn't have it long, so I'm sure it is still a low mileage weapon.
I don't know what to say other than I went to the store wanting to like the gun and came away with a different impression. I hope you continue to have good luck with yours.:smile: I guess there is something to be said for first impressions.:hand5:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot(getting old..I guess!)....the free-spin was with the cylinder CLOSED.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
My initial impressions were pretty high with the LCR but after just a few weeks I noticed a flood of them on the used market web sites. Fortunately I ended up ordering a 640 to add to my 642-P.

Clearly, the all steel action of the 60/640, etc. is considerably smoother than the alloy variants.
Regards,

·
Registered
714 Posts
This particular LCR(which is a rental gun used by people at the range)would allow me and the saleman to spin the cylinder clockwise almost a complete revolution before locking up.
Old Grunt

You state range gun rental; did they have any new in box? If so did you handle them? Did you range know how many rounds had been fired from said gun? Just wondering cause I like Rugers and if the price was right would look at a LCR.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Congrats for coming to your senses. :hand10:

IMHO The Ruger LCR is for people who want an inexpensive , no
maintainence "throwaway when it breaks" gun.

I currently have 4 J frames plus several K frames and wouldn't
take an LCR for FREE :gah:

:wave:
I'd take one for free and sell it for $100.00. That's all I think one is worth. :hand1:

The ones I shot were roughly made, looked cheap and I didn't like the trigger.

Go for the S&W. The BEST revolvers made IMO. I'm partial to ALL steel pre lock models myself.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I got my mits on one for the first time last week. I didn't notice any free spin, but I did find it bigger than I expected.

IMO, go with a J-frame.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts