Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand why some folders have safeties built in -- prevents unexpected deployment of the blade. I like that idea of a safety, as I have had cheap, cheap folders open enough in the pocket to catch the blade tip with a finger. But, I'm confused....

So why would anyone carry a folder with a built in safety for personal SD? That would mean two actions to deploy the blade under stress and pressure, release safety then open folder.

Am I missing something -- should folders with safeties be avoided if the blade is primarily intended for SD? Do folders with built in safety locks require less force to open than non-safety lock folder, as the lockable folder's primary means of protecting the blade is the safety lock itself.

Thanks for the opinions.

John

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Using a safety lock could be someone's undoing when the adrenaline flows...:gah:
I have two Ken Onion Leeks (assisted openers). They will not open by accident. I made sure to tighten down the tiny bolt for on the safety...don't need it. I can remember trying to open the Leek before tightening the lock down. The lock had moved into the locking position without me realizing it...don't want that to happen if I were in a defensive position.:smoke23:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Using a safety lock could be someone's undoing when the adrenaline flows...:gah:
I have two Ken Onion Leeks (assisted openers). They will not open by accident. I made sure to tighten down the tiny bolt for on the safety...don't need it. I can remember trying to open the Leek before tightening the lock down. The lock had moved into the locking position without me realizing it...don't want that to happen if I were in a defensive position.:smoke23:
I've done the same with my Kershaw Chive, I just unscrewed the safety screw and pulled the whole piece out, no more worrying when it comes to that knife

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
My Kershaw Blur doesn't have , or need, a "safety". That's what my brain is for. :wave:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an SOG Flash II knife which I like, but do NOT carry for any serious purpose because the safety deploys itself and is not at all quick to un-deploy.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Ditto:danceban:

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I have an SOG Flash II knife which I like, but do NOT carry for any serious purpose because the safety deploys itself and is not at all quick to un-deploy.
I am now carrying the Flash II daily and I put a drop of super glue on the safety to keep it in the off position. I wish SOG would rethink this and maybe go to a Kershaw like system for locks and at least give you the option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same reason you have all those warning stickers on law mowers.
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses. I guess the safety provides one additional layer of liability protection for the manufacturer given the built in assisted opening, just like the stickers on the lawn mower.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts