Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tried searching but there's so many posts it's hard to find anything.

I'm thinking of starting to reload, at least for range ammo given that things are starting to tighten up.

Is there any good books or websites on getting started? How -to, good starting equipment, etc..?

Again, apologies if this was asked/answered already.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
If you are going to use Lee equipment, Buy Lee's book. If you are going to use Lyman, Buy their book. I was already well into reloading before I tried RCBS, so I don't know how well they spell it out to beginners. Bot both Lee and Lyman have excellent books for getting started! Both have good generic instruction, and both give detailed instruction on setting up their own equipment. I always advise people to start with a simple single stage kit. It is the least confusing. and later on if you want to up your production rate all the tools are still used with a faster press. And a empty single stage press is another good tool to have. Good Luck. DR

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got into reloading for the first time a few months ago at the beginning of the COVID mess. There are some good Youtube channels (like Gavin Toobe) with lots of detailed info on reloading. I don't really plan on being a high volume reloader so I bought a Lee Classic Turret press. I've reloaded about 750 rounds so far of 9mm and 40 S&W and I'm happy. I've shot about 400 rounds of those reloads with zero hiccups so I'm happy about that as well.

Five months ago, I knew absolutely zero about reloading. I didn't have anybody around to really help me but there's a lot of info on the interwebs as long as you screen your sources and be careful.

The volume guys go on up to the progressive setups but it requires a more significant investment. It depends on the volume you intend to shoot, how much you're willing to invest, and your priorities.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got into reloading for the first time a few months ago at the beginning of the COVID mess. There are some good Youtube channels (like Gavin Toobe) with lots of detailed info on reloading. I don't really plan on being a high volume reloader so I bought a Lee Classic Turret press. I've reloaded about 750 rounds so far of 9mm and 40 S&W and I'm happy. I've shot about 400 rounds of those reloads with zero hiccups so I'm happy about that as well.

Five months ago, I knew absolutely zero about reloading. I didn't have anybody around to really help me but there's a lot of info on the interwebs as long as you screen your sources and be careful.

The volume guys go on up to the progressive setups but it requires a more significant investment. It depends on the volume you intend to shoot, how much you're willing to invest, and your priorities.
Do you have to have a solid workbench, or will any table do?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Single state presses are good, especially for beginners. I STILL use a single-stage RCBS press, and have a combination of Lee, Lyman, and Hornady dies. Each have their own idiosyncrasies, but they all function in the same general manner.

Documentation is important. Absolutely get a book on reloading. Or two books. As for reloading data, you cannot have too much. Each powder manufacturer provides you with data for their powders for various bullet weights.
Additionally, there are other resources, like data from bullet manufacturers.

I have two hard copy Speer reloading manuals, plus roughly 10 digital editions of Alliant's reloading data (for their powders), as well as online data from Speer.

And finally, there are some fine gentlemen here who will gladly provide advice. BMCGilvray is one who will wax eloquently about reloading, and is a veritable font of information. Enjoy!

Oh, and bullets and powders are starting to get scarce.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Probably the best resource for the beginning reloader is the Lyman Handbook. Takes you through all the basics, then instructs you on advanced techniques and trouble-shooting. All the load data is laboratory tested with pressures published, and the published data includes both cast and factory-jacketed bullets (unlike most other manuals that only show data for their own products).

Next most valuable resource is a solid work bench. Don't jack around with make-do solutions, get yourself (or build yourself) a solid working bench to get the job done without unnecessary stress or strain.

Good presses, powder measures, scales, and other basics can be found on eBay or Craigslist for pennies on the dollar. Lots of people take up reloading, then decide it isn't for them and sell off their equipment. I suggest purchasing reloading die sets new and keeping them in good condition, and they will last for decades (most of mine are from the 60's and 70's, still function like new). A good dial caliper is a very handy tool for the reloading bench.

For me, 48 years and still at it. I own several firearms that have never been fired with factory ammo. My kids and grandkids don't seem to understand they can buy ammo in stores, they just send all the fired brass back to Grampa for reloading.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you have to have a solid workbench, or will any table do?
I have a beefy workbench so that was a help.

In terms of supplies, I've been able to find brass, bullets, and powder relatively easily. Primers are a little scarce but I've been able to get them but not in the bigger lots I would have preferred. I have 3000. I've purchased everything online.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a beefy workbench so that was a help.

In terms of supplies, I've been able to find brass, bullets, and powder relatively easily. Primers are a little scarce but I've been able to get them but not in the bigger lots I would have preferred. I have 3000. I've purchased everything online.
Yah, that's going to be a problem. No workbench of any sort.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
My first reloading bench was the bottom box of a roll away tool box with a ply wood top. I lived in an Apt. and could wheel it into a closet when not in use. I loaded the heavy items into the bottom to give it stability.and added wheel breaks to keep it still. I hung the presses over the ends to not interfere with the drawers. That setup stayed with me for a few years, till I bought a house. DR

·
Registered
197 Posts
YouTube is a great resource. Lots of info available online as well.

I started with straight walled pistol cartridges. 9mm is perfect for starting out. I’ve since extended to bottlenosed rifle rounds (.223) as well. Those are much more labor intensive.

I started with and still use a Dillon 550c. Averaging about 2k rounds per month. Shoot 1 load 2. Helps to build up the inventory. I can easily reload the amount of ammo that I shot at the range in about the same time it took to shoot.

There are really two classes of reloaders. Those who reload for quantity. And those who focus on handloads - perfect accuracy and customized loads for a particular firearm. I mention this because the equipment you choose might lend itself to one or the other.

It’s a great hobby. Fascinating really. And, it easily leads to more things like casting your bullets or fanatical case prep. I surprised myself by realizing how much satisfaction I get from turning grungy range brass into sparkling jewels. Ok, not always. But, it is satisfying seeing the finished result.

·
Registered
34,632 Posts
I started reloading about 1975 with a Herter's single-stage kit and still use some of its components. For the quantity of ammo I reload, I don't see me ever "moving up." Some gear has been replaced as the original finally wore out, but that Herter's SS press still keeps cranking out the loads, although newer gear augments it now.

I learned most of what I needed from the Speer #9 manual, which I still have. Nowadays, most bullet and powder makers have online load data at the touch of a few keyboard strokes. Youtube has good videos, but keep in mind there are a hundred ways to skin a cat and even more to reload. Some info is great, some not so much.

Reloading is easy; it just takes attention to detail. Distractions are to be avoided.

I used to have a rock-solid reloading bench, but now, due to limited space, I have resorted to mounting my press on a which piece of plywood which I clamp to a kitchen counter. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Here's an old thread I started about reloading for hacks. Take what I posted with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Yah, that's going to be a problem. No workbench of any sort.
There are plenty of portable reloading “benches” that are basically a stand for the press. Check out Midway, they have one from Lee for $125 that would work fine.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are plenty of portable reloading “benches” that are basically a stand for the press. Check out Midway, they have one from Lee for $125 that would work fine.
Thanks! I'll have to keep that in mind. It's a pretty hefty investment initially, but it might pay off in the end.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Take a look here for reloading bench ideas: Let's See Your Reloading Bench

I made mine with 2x4s, 4x4s, plywood for top and shelf, and scrap fiberboard for a back side. Frame was bolted up with carriage bolts, bench top was screwed in place and varnished to make it easy to clean up. Back and both sides have a lath "lip" to minimize stuff rolling off into dark, crowded places. Under $100 to put together.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Thanks! I'll have to keep that in mind. It's a pretty hefty investment initially, but it might pay off in the end.
Look it over and use it as a guide to build your own. Not sure what you’ll be loading but pistol cases don’t need a lot of force when operating the press. You won’t need to go full steel, a 2x6 bolted on a sturdy table will probably be fine.

What do you plan to load?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts