Defensive Carry banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I'm still going back and forth. I'd like to reload so I can shoot more, but I'm just afraid I'm going to not want to do it after I spend a bunch of money on it.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone local who reloads so I can't try it out first.
It all depends on what you want. I wouldnt want to load pistol on a single stage because it takes too long. But since progressives are more expensive, it will take longer to break even on cost. The lee turret press may not be a bad option for you. Its also times like this that Im glad Im a reloader, because from the end of the last ammo shortage until now, if I spent the same amount of money on components as someone who buys factory ammo, and we both shot the same amount, I would still be doing just fine when they are running out of ammo.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It all depends on what you want. I wouldnt want to load pistol on a single stage because it takes too long. But since progressives are more expensive, it will take longer to break even on cost. The lee turret press may not be a bad option for you. Its also times like this that Im glad Im a reloader, because from the end of the last ammo shortage until now, if I spent the same amount of money on components as someone who buys factory ammo, and we both shot the same amount, I would still be doing just fine when they are running out of ammo.
Yah, I was actually looking at the Lee turret press. Partially the price, partially because Lee seems to be the only one that you can mount to a stand (the others I've looked at look like they require a bench, which I don't have right now).

As far as motives, I think access to ammo is the biggest one. Even if I don't break even for a while, having the ability to make ammo so I don't "run out" or feel like I don't have enough is the big reason I want to do it.

I'm just concerned that I'm not going to be able to do it, or not do it enough to make the investment worthwhile (if that makes any sense)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Regarding start up cost, you can get a Lee Loader for $28, a bottle of powder for $23, primers @ 3 cents each, and bullets for around 9 cents a piece.

Check out some YouTube videos on "reloading with the Lee Loader" and see how incredibly easy it is. You won't be reloading with quantity in mind , but the quality of each round is good. You can easily reload 50 rounds in an hour or so on the cheap.

I started out using the Lee Loader and still use them from time to time, especially out at the range when I'm trying to dial in a load for a specific gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Regarding start up cost, you can get a Lee Loader for $28, a bottle of powder for $23, primers @ 3 cents each, and bullets for around 9 cents a piece.

Check out some YouTube videos on "reloading with the Lee Loader" and see how incredibly easy it is. You won't be reloading with quantity in mind , but the quality of each round is good. You can easily reload 50 rounds in an hour or so on the cheap.

I started out using the Lee Loader and still use them from time to time, especially out at the range when I'm trying to dial in a load for a specific gun.
Wow, that may be what the doctor ordered. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Wow, that may be what the doctor ordered. Thanks!

Your welcome.

I would also suggest getting a hand priming tool and some scales a little later down the road if you decide you want to continue and expand a little at a time. (These are just two examples of how inexpensive they can be)

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Your welcome.

I would also suggest getting a hand priming tool and some scales a little later down the road if you decide you want to continue and expand a little at a time. (These are just two examples of how inexpensive they can be)
Any experience with the hand primer? The reviews seem to be very hit or miss, either they love it or hate it.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Any experience with the hand primer? The reviews seem to be very hit or miss, either they love it or hate it.
I have an old Lyman, must be 35 years old now, maybe older. Works great. I’ll sit in front of the TV and prime cases, kind of mindless like doing dishes. Before you know it you’re done.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Apparently I picked the wrong time to enter this part of the hobby. I am having a heck of a time finding stuff, specifically primers.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Apparently I picked the wrong time to enter this part of the hobby. I am having a heck of a time finding stuff, specifically primers.
Brownells has primers in stock.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Yep, bad timing. When ammo gets short, so do components.

Reactions: Bruiser419

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Right now, its a tough time to get into it. Plenty of brass and bullets available. Somewhat lower availability of certain powders, but still mostly available. Small pistol primers? Forget it.

Even if you just buy a basic single stage setup and pick a pistol caliber or two, and a rifle caliber or two, its a good skill to learn. You wont be doing much reloading of basic pistol calibers now, but its a fun skill to build.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts