Defensive Carry banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have had my LC9S for 5 years, i carry it daily, or so in the last year I noticed my mag would drop out an 1/4" or so. I did a bunch to reading about it and learned that the problem was the American made mags. I could actually wiggle on it and get it to drop in a couple of seconds. I switched it out for my made in Italy mag and in a 2 weeks it has not dropped out once.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I've had 3 of them and never had the magazine fall out without depressing the magazine release button.

Edit- Never mind, I didn't notice that the OP is an ex member now and that it was a 4 year old thread.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've had my Lc9s for about 1½ and have put at least 1000 rounds through it have never had any issues with any mags dropping out. I bought 3 extra Ruger mags when I bought the gun and swap them out all the time while shooting with no issues. I'm surprised how well it shoots too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
News to me, mags falling out of a LC9S. I won't let mine or my daughters weapon read that on the internet. They are doing just fine.

·
Registered
452 Posts
It's a good gun, but not best in breed any more. If someone doesn't have one, and is looking for something in that class, they can get one that is main line current production, and has better features (thinking P365)

Seems they have. Still no reason not to have one.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mine went back to Ruger. The first gun I ever had to send back. I had problems with it out the box on the first range trip. Plus compared to the M&P Shield, Walther PPS, and XDS M2, etc, it had a cheap budget gun type feel. It also only came with one mag, and the finish wasn't "nitrided" like others in it's category... I've seen a few people rave about them, but I just don't see it...

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Mine went back to Ruger. The first gun I ever had to send back. I had problems with it out the box on the first range trip. Plus compared to the M&P Shield, Walther PPS, and XDS M2, etc, it had a cheap budget gun type feel. It also only came with one mag, and the finish wasn't "nitrided" like others in it's category... I've seen a few people rave about them, but I just don't see it...
Mimics my overall impression as well. My Walther PPS is a much superior firearm and I picked up the M1 for $290. Shield, G43, etc are all better choices.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had mine several years.

Never had a mag fall out. I've actually had problems with mag insertion. Would always get hung up no matter what. Sent it back to Ruger. Its much better but still not perfect. I think the mag release (however that works inside the magwell) was not getting back to center, or was too big/sticking far out on one side and the lip of the mag would hang up on insertion. I actually find pushing the mag release button difficult as well. It is stiff and the mags don't really pop when you hit the release. You gotta pull em out.

I sent it back after I first got it too as I was having issues with it locking open on recoil and sometimes failures to feed. I think they polished the ramp, can't remember if they did anything to the slide stop. Hasn't happened at all since.

With that said, beyond that first ship back, it has always always gone bang. So I trust it. I shoot it better than any other small 9mm, except maybe the P365, but even then it is a wash. The super small size and weight are a plus for carry, but not so great for range practice.

I had a PPS M2 for awhile as well that I got a steal on. Hands down, 100%, no questions asked the better made, better shooting gun. The PPS was pure butter. Everything worked superbly. I sold the PPS and kept the LC9s. Ha. I just couldn't shoot it anywhere near as well as the Ruger, and its definitely on the heavier/bulkier side for carry.

I've tried everything in this class many times. I wish I didn't shoot the Ruger so darn well, and that it wasn't so darn small. Because it feels a bit cheap / clanky, it kinda rattles in the holster. The mags don't go in/out with smooth precision. The sights are not great. But at the end of the day it is easy to carry and I can drill holes with it. At the time I got it, it was very well priced too, which is nice.

But I suspect as soon as I decide to part with the cash, I will pick up either a P365 or a P938/Springfield 911.

Most other guns in this class all feel better made / higher quality than the Ruger (OK, I haven't shot things like SCCY or Taurus or the new Mossberg). The PPS and the XD-S in particular feel like very well made pieces. Of course they're quite a bit more money too. On the budget end of this class, I'd probably still recommend the Ruger.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I had one. The recoil spring assembly broke at about 50 rounds and jammed up the slide. Ruger fixed it with a redesigned recoil spring assembly. The gun ran perfect after that. My LC9s was accurate and easy to carry. I loved it. In Florida's heat and humidity my sweat loved it too eating a little of its finish every day! Meanwhile my wife purchased a Shield. I liked it a lot. One day I spotted a used Shield Pro at my LGS. My trusty but rusty LC9s stayed there and I came home with that Shield. It is my EDC to this day. And wifey and I have a pile of magazines to share for trips to the range.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Any and all that don't want their Ruger LC9s I will gladly take your burdens off of you. Son hated my Shield and he got an LC9s. I love it too. Got one for my wife. Great little guns.

Reactions: JOEYTELLY

·
Registered
245 Posts
LC9 was my first semiautomatic pistol and carried it for over a year. My limited pistol experience was all with D/A revolvers so I saw no problem with the trigger pull. After getting exposure to other guns, I got an LC9s and carried it everywhere possible for over three years. Easy to conceal, anti-snag shape, and absolutely reliable. Then a friend let me shoot his P365......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Never had the mag issue. Thought the trigger was mighty interesting. Couldn’t get used to the sights so sold it.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts