Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wife has been harping on me quite a bit. She is still carrying a a revolver that she doesn’t like. We have been unable to find her a Taurus 709 (My current carry gun) in town. Honestly, she shoots it better then I do lol. I had been on the fence for awhile as to if I wanted to give her mine and get something different or give her mine and carry my 1911 until I could find another.

Well, I don't feel right having her carrying a gun she doesn't like so I have decided to give her mine for the time being. However I did see something new that caught my eye. I had not considered the M&P compact before because I owned a sigma a few years back and I thought the trigger was HORRIBLE. I couldn't shoot that thing to save my life. But the M&P compact intrigues me. My one major issue with the 709 was the lack of a pinky extension. The Smith fixes that. Also, it’s a bit higher capacity. It’s a bit heavier but still impressive for a double stack 9.

But I HAVE to ask. To those of you that own this gun. How’s the trigger? Is it fairly short? How does it compare to a Glock? I am seriously considering this pistol but keep having flash backs from my Sigma days!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I've had both the Sigma and now have a M&Pc. Mine were, are .40S&W.
The Sigma carried well and felt good in my hand, but as you experienced, the trigger was a bear. I traded it soon after I had spent some time at the range comparing it with my other pistols.
I purchased the M&Pc .40 about a year ago and have been very happy with it. I think the trigger is better than the Glock, but I had problems with my Glock 23. The trigger pull was OK, but I had problems with my finger rubbing itself raw against the inside of the bottom of the trigger guard. I never heard of anyone having this problem, but I sure did and as a result, I sold the Glock.
I now have two HK USP's, one full and one compact. I like the M&Pc as much as I do the HK's.
I don't think you'd regret choosing the M&P.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bah! I'm depressed now... I mis-read the specs. I thought it was a lot thinner then it acutally is. Turns out it's about the same width as a glock :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think that the trigger is not as crisp as the Glock but to defend the M&P its a different type of trigger system and once you get use to it, it really isn't bad. I've probably put around 2000 rounds in my M&P40 and the trigger got better after 500 rounds. There are a few pistolsmiths that do good work to smooth out the triggers: Burwell and Dave Bowie.

Initially, the reset was hard to find but as parts wore in it became more noticeable. I just picked up my NEW M&P40C this past Friday (ordered it on Oct. 1st and wasn't due to come in until mid November) and I'm going to throw some rounds down range to "break in" my new gun. :danceban: I'll let you know if the newest version of the M&P trigger is different from their 1st version (2006 version).

Dave Bowie has two types of trigger work that he can perform on the M&P, a short or a long (travel) trigger job. I hear good things about both gunsmiths on the S&W M&P forum.

Overall I like the M&P and when I get a chance to take my wife out to the range I have a feeling I'm going to have to buy another M&P compact for her :congrats:

Good Luck,
Shark

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bah! I'm depressed now... I mis-read the specs. I thought it was a lot thinner then it acutally is. Turns out it's about the same width as a glock :(
You're right. Looking for a single stack?

Funny thing is that it took me 3 years of daily carry of my FS M&P40 at work and just this past year I decided to carry the duty gun off duty too. I hurt my back about 2 years ago and thought that I couldn't carry the FS M&P40 but with the right holster and belt it is possible. When we were 1st issued the M&P I hated it with a passion. But I've come to love the M&P, so much so I decided to buy the compact version.

Its about the same width as the Glock but once you hold one and carry one you realize that S&W really did their homework on the M&P line. I'm not knocking Glock (I owned a Glock) but after you get use to carrying it, it doesn't feel wide at all.

Good luck on your quest,

Shark

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the M&P9c, and my GF has shot it and loves it.
However, she does prefer the trigger style of the Glock (5.5#) to the 10#M&P (MA model).

·
Registered
213 Posts
One nice thing about the M&P as compared to the Glock is the interchangable backstrap. This will give you a more "custom" feel to your weapon.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The M&P Compact trigger is excellent; the safety take-up with a smooth, predictable break. It is not a single-stack, though...

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Bought my daughter an M&P9C and she loves it,after shooting hers I bought a M&P45C for myself and my wife loved it so much I now carry a Colt Commander XSE

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
After a few "early production" hiccups, the M&P is a fine example of CCW. If trigger reach, pull weight & reset are the issue, check-out Bowie Tactical. He does a specialized S&W M&P trigger rework that allows you the option of a "short" or "long" reach. The resulting weight & reset are much (substantially) improved. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
the sigma triggers do suck, however there is an extra spring inside you can take out and it does reduce the trigger pull on the sigma and does not effect reliability. As for the M&P, I have the M&P40c and I am not a real big fan seems like under the trigger gaurd rubs my finger the wrong way.. I would rather have a glock anyday. so... I'll trade it for a glock haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts