Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lawmakers want to allow handgun concealed carry without permit

RALEIGH

Ten North Carolina Republican legislators want handgun owners to be able to carry their weapons concealed without a permit.

House Bill 69, the “Constitution Carry Act,” would remove the concealed-carry permit requirement for handguns, but not for larger firearms.

A handgun is defined by the bill as “a firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.” Any U.S. citizen 18 years or older would be able to carry a concealed handgun under the proposed legislation unless otherwise disallowed by state or federal law.
Concealed handgun carry without a permit: Raleigh legislators file House Bill 69 | News & Observer

It also would be illegal to concealed carry a handgun in: any place where alcoholic drinks are sold and consumed and where firearms are not allowed; on the premises of the State Capitol, Governor’s Mansion or Western Residence of the governor; in courthouses; at picket lines and certain demonstrations; and some other areas.

This is only if the establishment is posted.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
WOW. First I've heard. Oh my, imagine the wild wild west scene and the mayhem. After all, it's only if you plunk $80 down that you really have the good sense that's required to carry a firearm.

Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
41,589 Posts
"at picket lines and certain demonstrations; and some other areas."

Who/what defines what is "certain demonstrations" and "other areas"? Poorly written bill. Define or do not include.

And when is NC going to get over this fear of concealing a firearm in a restaurant that serves a glass of wine? One of the reasons I won't return there.

Reactions: Eagleks

·
Super Moderator
18,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Who/what defines what is "certain demonstrations" and "other areas"? Poorly written bill. Define or do not include.

And when is NC going to get over this fear of concealing a firearm in a restaurant that serves a glass of wine? One of the reasons I won't return there.
We have had restaurant carry for about three years now and I have not seen anyplace posted except McDonalds but they are a restaurant in name only and do not serve alcohol.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts

Come on back. We didn't leave your exe's here. You did.

·
Registered
41,589 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
OV, I know that you've never been in Texas. If you had, I suspect you'd still be there. That's Jim Beam country, as much as anywhere, and leaving your brothers and sisters without a leader....well it just ain't you.

Sorry for jacking the thread Sarge.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
That makes 6 States working on it .... 3 last year didn't succeed. Wasn't it Virginia that passed it, but Governor wouldn't sign it ???

No Carolina, Kentucky, So Dakota, Indiana, Alabama, New Hampshire

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
18 yrs old. That's tremendous!

Seems to be some fantastic momentum for 2A in 2017! Exciting.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Clarification: In NC you can carry in a place that serves alcoholic beverages and is not posted, but you can't consume alcohol any time you're carrying.

IMHO even if the GOP legislature passes the bill, I seriously doubt that Gov. Cooper (D) will sign it. I don't know if the GOP majority is large enough to override his veto. Also, there's probably going to be a lot of resistance from the county Sheriffs over the lost revenue from gun purchase permits & CC licenses.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Clarification: In NC you can carry in a place that serves alcoholic beverages and is not posted, but you can't consume alcohol any time you're carrying.

IMHO even if the GOP legislature passes the bill, I seriously doubt that Gov. Cooper (D) will sign it. I don't know if the GOP majority is large enough to override his veto. Also, there's probably going to be a lot of resistance from the county Sheriffs over the lost revenue from gun purchase permits & CC licenses.
When Constitutional Carry went into effect here, it didn't really change the number of people getting CC licenses, typically for at least 3 reasons :

1. Being able to carry in other states

2. Under Constitutional Carry, it's still against Fedl Law to carry in a school zone (GFZ) . However with a license and the State doesn't prohibit it, under Fedl Law it is no crime to carry in them.

3. IF stopped, showing your permit to a police officer already shows him you are a legal gun owner, and he doesn't need to do run a check on you for past felonies, etc.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts

That and the restraining orders...

Reactions: OldVet

·
Registered
1,476 Posts

They changed this about a year ago, you can now carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol, you just can't drink. I hope this new bill isn't adding that insanity back. That is if it isn't posted. That's another thing I don't like about NC, signs have force of law.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
One curiosity on the proposed bill as it is currently written.

Concealed carry in a "State‑owned rest area, at any State‑owned rest stop along the highways, and at any State‑owned hunting and fishing reservation" still requires a carry permit. These areas are not covered in the constitutional (no permit) carry terms of the bill.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
One curiosity on the proposed bill as it is currently written.

Concealed carry in a "State‑owned rest area, at any State‑owned rest stop along the highways, and at any State‑owned hunting and fishing reservation" still requires a carry permit. These areas are not covered in the constitutional (no permit) carry terms of the bill.
Perhaps they should call it "Almost Constitutional" Carry.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Perhaps they should call it "Almost Constitutional" Carry.
This reminds me of the inner snickering I had when I lived in the sunshine state and they came up with the "The Rules Are Different Here" campaign.

You can do what ever you want as long as it's what the government wants you to want.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts