Defensive Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received my copy of Glenn Beck's new book "Control, Exposing the truth about guns" yesterday.

I'm about half way through it and I have to say it is a must read for everyone. It's not so much that there is any new information in it. Most of us here already know most of what is being related in the book. It's just that it is a comprehensive compilation of legitimate, documented and foot noted refutations of every argument and misconstrued piece of "evidence" that the antis have ever spewed.

I plan on tabbing the pages of the best info and carrying this around with me for those times that I have the opportunity to educate some un-informed/mis-informed fence sitter. I doubt that even this will be enough to change the minds of the truly rabid antis but any chance to move one more vote to the right is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I plan on tabbing the pages of the best info and carrying this around with me for those times that I have the opportunity to educate some un-informed/mis-informed fence sitter.
I would just memorize things. Or if you want to carry things around perhaps FBI statistics and applicable law references would be more effective. As soon as any "fence-sitter" sees you referencing a Glenn Beck book they'll likely dismiss your quotations as less than factual.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I am not a fan of Mr. Beck, but I am sure he is just spouting statistics proven by other more reputable, and objective agencies. Glad you enjoyed it. Reading seems to be a waning past time.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
As soon as any "fence-sitter" sees you referencing a Glenn Beck book they'll likely dismiss your quotations as less than factual.
Good point.

Unless Beck is actually conducting primary studies, research, polls and the like, he isn't the source. IMO, such books and articles are generally most useful for pointing the way to the sources.

I try really hard to point to actual data, people, research, and not the mechanism I used to get it. ie, The Blaze (reporting), or Glenn Beck, or Massad Ayoob. Though, in the case of certain acknowledged authorities/experts on topics, there is a degree of mileage that can be gotten out of wise observations they've made.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Memorizing the facts from the book will not help at all when discussing guns with liberals. Liberals will not be confused with facts. They don't need no stinking facts.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the nice thing about this book. All of the info is referenced and sourced and all in one place. The FBI reports, the academic studies and the debunked lies and misconstrued data are all in one reference book.

Anyone who is going to dismiss me because my data source is GB is going to dismiss me regardless of where I get my info.

I would just memorize things. Or if you want to carry things around perhaps FBI statistics and applicable law references would be more effective. As soon as any "fence-sitter" sees you referencing a Glenn Beck book they'll likely dismiss your quotations as less than factual.

·
Premium Member
8,646 Posts
Alex, I was going to say the same thing. Once they know Glenn Beck wrote it, their minds will snap shut like trap doors. The Libs hate Beck because he straight forward and doesn't back down in the face of their bitter media campaign to discredit him.

·
Super Moderator
50,612 Posts
Just downloaded my copy about an hour ago...:yup:

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I try really hard to point to actual data, people, research, and not the mechanism I used to get it.
Actual data? Where do you get that? Truth? Even more scarce.
Every piece of data, every poll, every news story has a agenda.

The old joke about a large corp that needs to hire a CFO. They interview 3 people with each candidate receiving one question.

"What does 2+2=?"

The physicist answers "always 4 in this universe or any other".
The Math major answers "4; it is without fail 4."
The accountant closes all the curtains in the room and whispers "What do you want it to equal?"

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Actual data? Where do you get that? Truth? Even more scarce.
Every piece of data, every poll, every news story has a agenda.

The old joke about a large corp that needs to hire a CFO. They interview 3 people with each candidate receiving one question.

"What does 2+2=?"

The physicist answers "always 4 in this universe or any other".
The Math major answers "4; it is without fail 4."
The accountant closes all the curtains in the room and whispers "What do you want it to equal?"
As a CFO, I have to admit that made me LoL.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Alex, I was going to say the same thing. Once they know Glenn Beck wrote it, their minds will snap shut like trap doors. The Libs hate Beck because he straight forward and doesn't back down in the face of their bitter media campaign to discredit him.
I agree with that also except Glenn Beckk has a track record of using information out of context, lieing, misrepresenting facts. So I would not take anything Glenn Beck said as 100 percent truthful. In other words: He is just another talking head, same as the ones on the left and his peers on the right. Given to telling one side of a story and using only a set of stats that works for thier arguement.

·
Premium Member
8,646 Posts
Beck definitely has a very Conservative slant and I don't take everything he says as gospel, but I do agree with most of his views on where our county is going and who the enemy is. I don't think he lies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts