Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who's a retired cop from a very law law enforcement department. He's done pretty much everything a cop can do. He has retired after more than 30 years.

He's been after me for a long time to buy a concealable gun and apply for a CCW permit. He told me that the sheriff of the county where I live won't issue a permit unless I have a handgun that I'd want to carry. So I needed a handgun

My friend has spend countless hours tutoring me about handguns for concealed carry. He has a substantial basis of knowledge. I had thought of going small caliber (.380 Auto) in a small gun. He told me to forget what I thought I knew. He was going to teach me what he has learned during his career. Please keep in mind that he began his career carrying a .38 Special revolver and ended carrying a Glock 22. Yes, he has taught me about brands and cartridges. He has spent many hours with me on ranges shooting various guns.

The probability of my using a handgun for self-defense is very low (.01). The probability of my surviving an encounter with an armed criminal while unarmed is lower. It didn't take a genius IQ to grasp the validity of his point.

He carries a .45 Automatic. He likes the .40 S&W. He likes 9MM magazine capacity. But his primary carry gun is a .45 Automatic. After countless hours of listening to his "war stories", no handgun is an absolute guarantee of my surviving. However, some offer better probability of survival. When I mentioned a revolver, he quickly steered me away from that idea with a long lesson in surviving an armed encounter.

I'm learning that a handgun has to be 100% reliable 100% of the time. Apparently a Glock 22 fulfills that requirement. I think it's too large to be a good concealed carry gun. He told me that the Sig P 239 in .40 S&W is very popular among detectives and off duty cops. From what I've learned from reading cop firearm info he loaned to me, the Sig P 239 is extremely reliable and very popular among cops. It is a heavy gun for its size. But it's heavy for a reason. A lightweight gun chambered for a large cartridge is a liability. I've learned quite a lot.

My friend knows a lot of FFL dealers who cater to cops. He had prepared a list of suitable guns. He told me to consider guns on his list and any other handguns I'd want to consider. He told me that he'd get me the cop price on a handgun. So I thought about which one to buy. I was going to go with a lightweight model, but from what I read and was told, they lack of ballast, which makes them unmanageable and difficult to control.

One of my friend's cop friend let me shoot his P 239 in .40 S&W, which he carries on duty and off duty. He loves his gun. He said that it has demonstrated itself to be 100% reliable. I've fired many rounds through it. I also fired a very lightweight 2" .357 Magnum revolver. It was a very easy decision to exclude that gun from consideration. Five rounds of .357 Magnum out of a handgun that weighed about a pound was too much information and 4 rounds too many to fire. That was a very unpleasant experience. I did go back to the cop who carries a P 239 on and off duty. He said it's very easy to conceal, and the .40 S&W is a very powerful cartridge. He said that he could carry many guns that are approved by his department including a .45 Automatic. But approved .45 Automatic handguns were larger than the P 239. So he uses a P 239. Only one of the cops I've shot with used a 9MM. None used revolvers. That was very useful information to know. All of them encouraged me to peruse knowledge-based material, especially that which comes from law enforcement departments and law enforcement journals.

After a couple rounds of beer and listening to their "war stories", I told my friend to call his FFL sources to find a Sig P 239 in .40 S&W. A couple hours later, I was completing paperwork for a brand new gun. After I get it, my friend told be that he'd get me set up with the right belt and holster. BTW, while my friend loves his Glocks, he did tell me that I've made an excellent decision. And the cop discount price was too good to pass up. Depending upon the source, I've paid more than 300 bucks less than what they go for at gun stores.

Having cops friends has benefits. I've known my friend since college. I've met and have vacationed with his cop friends. I know many personally. They all have encouraged me to apply for a CCW, and they have all said that they'd be willing to be character references on my CCW application. In essence, they have said that I will be issued a CCW.

What do you guys think of the Sig P 239 in .40 S&W? Do any of you guys have experience with it?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I own the P239 family- 9mm, .357 Sig and .40.

They are one of the few currently manufactured compact autoloaders would strongly recommend for concealed carry.

7+1 rounds of .40 S&W is sufficient for 99% of .01% percent of the time that you need a firearm for civilian defense.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :yup:

Sounds like your ex-LEO friend is both well-experienced & wise. The Sig 239 is a dandy concealed EDC choice. Getting a $300 discount is icing on the cake! Glad to hear your giving careful credence to holster & belt selection as they are VERY strong links in the defensive carry "chain-of-satisfaction". So far, you sound wayyyy ahead of the curve. :35:
Be safe.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Not a thing wrong with your choice!
I definitely approve of the caliber.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
You are very fortunate to have such a good friend who took that much time with you. Excellent advice.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You wont hear any complaints from me on that combo. While I don't carry the 239 I do carry its big brothers most of the time the 229 or 226. I wouldn't hesitate to carry the 239 and have thought many times of picking on up.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Your friends give you good advice, listen to them. In the book it is written, He that hath no sword let him sell his garments and buy one.

·
Super Moderator
18,143 Posts
I have a P239 .40 that I have carried on and off for years.

It has the smoothest double action pull of any pistol that I have ever encountered.

One could do much worse.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on getting good advice! I don't own any Sigs myself, but I'd have no problem at all with using one as a carry gun. Definitely a top brand. As for caliber, there's nothing at all wrong with 40, as long as you can shoot it well, which it sounds like you can.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I have a 239, they make a good carry gun. Mine has been 100% reliable and I shoot it well. I think the DA/SA is a good platform if you have upholster and holster in tight quarters. The G23 holds more ammo and is about the same size.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Not a thing wrong with the P-239! I have only shot one in 9mm but I have no reason to believe the .40 version wouldn't be equal or better! I would say you did well!

·
Registered
9,333 Posts
Sig P239 is a great gun. I carried one for a little bit.

·
Banned
854 Posts
No disagreement here whatsoever.

Something to consider, as you mentioned a .380 at the outset of your post. As you know .380 is a long way from a .40 in terms of shootability. My only suggestion is to try to shoot a few mags of .40 before you buy. You can't go wrong if you don't, but just appreciate what your going to get in a gun with which you will want to train extensively (shoot often). .40 is a minor handful compared to some ballistic equals like 9mm, .45, and even some 10mm. The great news is that if you handle .40 well, you can handle just about any of the other options.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
No disagreement here whatsoever.

Something to consider, as you mentioned a .380 at the outset of your post. As you know .380 is a long way from a .40 in terms of shootability. My only suggestion is to try to shoot a few mags of .40 before you buy. You can't go wrong if you don't, but just appreciate what your going to get in a gun with which you will want to train extensively (shoot often). .40 is a minor handful compared to some ballistic equals like 9mm, .45, and even some 10mm. The great news is that if you handle .40 well, you can handle just about any of the other options.
I believe the OP already stated that he has BOUGHT the gun, 2ndun. :rolleyes:

Given the considerable help and guidance he has already enlisted, I believe he'll do fine at shooting .40S&W.

I don't think Tom is "going-in blind" as so many others do. :smile:

·
Banned
854 Posts
I believe the OP already stated that he has BOUGHT the gun, 2ndun. :rolleyes:

Given the considerable help and guidance he has already enlisted, I believe he'll do fine at shooting .40S&W.

I don't think Tom is "going-in blind" as so many others do. :smile:
Indeed, I missed the following sentence: "A couple hours later, I was completing paperwork for a brand new gun."

Blind or not, listening to others is vastly different than actually shooting comparatively. How many of us are still carrying the original gun we intended for EDC? The great news is that we have options and those options are not static. What we think is the best caliber is often mitigated by that with which we'll shoot and train consistently.

Reactions: Kennydale

·
Registered
9,337 Posts
Sig P239.jpg Sig P239-2.jpg
Had one from a friend for ten months. Had issues with the weight carrying it and with the heavy DA pull. Doesn't mean it not a great firearm, it just wasn't for me. The original owner was a female friend of wife. She was having major remodeling done and didn't want it lying around with contractors. She got it as a gift from her boyfriend (Who passed away). I sold it for her to a retiring LEO who worked in the Texas prison system.

Not to start a Caliber war. I like 40S&W but shoot 9mm better. I'll take my 17+1 rounds of 124 gr JHP over 7+1 of 175JHP and I'll take my 25 ounce (M/T) Glock over 29.5 ounce (M/T) Sig. After ten months of shooting it. I out shot the Sig with my Ruger 40S&W (Striker Fired) and both Glocks G19 and my main EDC Glock G17.

(NOTE: I realize that your COP friend is giving you the best advice he knows. I still believe 9mm has come a long way and that's why many Agencies and Military are switching from .45ACP & 40S&W (357 Sig) to 9mm. My advice try them all out and carry what you shoot best, or find the easiest to carry!)

Reactions: 2ndunamended
1 - 20 of 30 Posts