Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I thought this was the theory behind using concussion grenades in the water. I didn't know there was any controversy.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Good discussion on the subject available here and here (longer, and covers more ground, specifically starting at this post and the responses to it). The concept of hydrostatic shock and bullet pressure waves is not as supported as a wounding mechanism as you might think.

-B

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been shot in the chest with body armor on with a 7.62x54 and it felt like i was punched in the face...HARD and my face was cut and bruised, so I am a believer in the shockwave.

Don't wanna know what it would have done to the inside of my body with that kind of pressure surrounding the round

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I have been shot in the chest with body armor on with a 7.62x54 and it felt like i was punched in the face...HARD and my face was cut and bruised, so I am a believer in the shockwave.

Don't wanna know what it would have done to the inside of my body with that kind of pressure surrounding the round
Given the number of people shot in the chest while wearing body armor, one would expect to see results like yours more frequently, no?

Not calling you a liar, but I am saying there are a lot of variables and a number of reasons you got roughed up from that. Do you remember if you hit the ground or flattened our against cover? Did anything happen prior to you taking the shot that could have bruised your face? Rough ride on the way there? Were the bruising or cuts noticed immediately or after the fact (as in, after a potential engagement with the shooter)?

A 'shockwave' capable of bruising/cutting skin in your face when you got hit in the chest would have destroyed quite a lot of tissue on the way towards your face. Waves tend to dissipate, not build, in the human body. The problem with the concept of a 'shockwave' resulting from a gunshot wound is that the supposed effects simply aren't seen by physicians working on patients or coroners doing autopsies. For those interested, I encourage you to read those two links I provided earlier on a discussion of exactly this subject.

-B

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
A shockwave would have to hit just right with the right amount of force to actually do damage elsewhere, thus I would think its a random thing IMO. I once caused a bruise to form while sparring a friend on his back when i hit him in the front. So I think it can happen, but it is unpredictable in its effect.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wouldn't trust Wikipedia for accurate scientific information. Even if most of it is correct, you have no way of knowing what is true and what isn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts