Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I OC'd at Wally World today, without anyone seeming to notice. But while I walking to the car, I had a guy from Georgia call out to me before he got too close and he said, "I just want to shake your hand for carrying that pistol. I am a big big supporter of the Second Amendment...
I don't recall exactly what he said, probably because I was so surprised. He did tell me that he is learning the laws of Montana and that he has a CCW permit from Georgia.

Nice guy and it was really cool to get that acknowledgment!

If you are that guy, thank you very much!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a similar experience in Utah a little while ago. A friend and I stopped in at Panda Express after shooting out in the west desert area I Utah. He had a 1911 in a serpa on his hip and I had my xd in a thigh rig. A older couple as well as a another couple asked if we were LEO's. We told them that we were not and they then went ahead and thanked us for excercising our right to carry. Thy were happy to see young kids (we were in college at the time) who hadn't gone crazy liberal as they called it. They said to keep it up.

·
Registered
11,497 Posts
Sounds like a great OC experience! Congrats!

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
sounds like a cool experience to have. i remember mine: i was having dinner with my family at a restaurant. i was carrying a Sigma at that time. behind us were 3 people, two men and a lady. one of them was a PA Constable. while we ate, the other gentleman kept looking at me and my gun. it was my first time OCing, so i got a little nervous. he leaned over and asked, "who are you with?"

"huh?"

"are you on the job?"

"um, no. i drive a forklift."

"you're not a badge?"

"nope."

he looked at me, kind of shocked, then asked, "why do you carry like that, and not concealed?"

"well, i just found out it's legal to do, and concealing is kind of a pain. as for why i carry, i do it for them," motining to my kids.

he reached his hand out, and said, "well, i'm glad that you do that, young man. the 2A is for everyone, not just for guys like me and my partner here." he told me he was also a Constable, and we chatted for a bit.

then, a few weeks later, me and some friends were hassled by Dickson City PD for open carrying....

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
You lost your tactical advantage by OC and your low SA allowed a total stranger to grab your extended strong hand (assuming OC on strong side) in which your body could have been pulled towards your weak side and you could have been disarmed with your back pointed towards the assailant (whose strong hand could have been opposite from yours)..................

I'm just messing with ya....cool deal. I'm glad you shared the positive feedback!!!

Sorry for messing with ya in the beginning of my reply...couldn't resist a little over the top humor.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
You are right, he was a very nice guy!

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Ok I'll be the paranoid one. I don't know you, you don't get that close to me

Sorry

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I've had a few encounters like that. I was checking out at the supermarket one time and Johnny Zits behind the counter thought it was pretty cool that I was OC. He said he was getting ready to turn 21 and really wanted to get a handgun and his LCTF. He thinks it's cool there are still some of us out there that exercise our right, and that he was "totally pro gun" :bier:

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I always like to hear positive OC stories. Glad there are others who OC as well. I have yet to have a negative OC experience, hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
391 Posts
When living in phoenix I open carried everywhere but work and home (was 19 at the time so no permit options). Was asked by cops a couple of times why I carried, Told them I bounced at a bar, normal response was "good luck with that, I wouldn't want your job" or "you guys are crazy". Had a large amount of republican bumperstickered vehicles honk and wave as I rode the motorcycle to work. But in person never had anyone comment + or - either way. (i did get the odd look from the local stop'N'rob attendants but they never commented.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
You lost your tactical advantage by OC and your low SA allowed a total stranger to grab your extended strong hand (assuming OC on strong side) in which your body could have been pulled towards your weak side and you could have been disarmed with your back pointed towards the assailant (whose strong hand could have been opposite from yours)..................

I'm just messing with ya....cool deal. I'm glad you shared the positive feedback!!!

Sorry for messing with ya in the beginning of my reply...couldn't resist a little over the top humor.
funny stuff...i was wonderign how long it would take and thought it would be serious by some of the posts on this sight...it was th first thing that came to mind when he said he was approached...

·
Registered
185 Posts
"um, no. i drive a forklift."
I don't drive a forklift now but I used to. I work unarmed security now but when I tell someone I'm a security officer they go "oh, that explains why you are carrying a gun on your belt." No it isn't the reason. So I sometimes tell people I drive forklifts at (name of my former warehouse employer) and watch their reaction. One time a guy at a selfserve gas pump across from me asked me if I was a cop. I told him I drove a forklift. The guy practically jumped into his car and nearly sqealed the tires getting out fo there. Guess he figured I was going to pop a cap in him as soon as I finished topping off my tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts