Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
That is cool!

I bet she's nasty to shoot! (in a good way that is)

Kinda like the Ruger Alaskan!

Ti.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Lew Horton 460 .. the funky comp turns me off ..but i love the barrel profile

Where o where is my non PC 460 6" i want one and want it now ...

In the shot show link i posted there is a even smaller 460 it says in a bear defense kit

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I think I'd give the porting a chance in that chambering and I normally don't like porting.

I've seriously thought that at some point the 460XVR in some form might be a good investment for me. Sure it's a lot of money up front, but you can fire all sorts of cool stuff in it.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Bud White said:
In the shot show link i posted there is a even smaller 460 it says in a bear defense kit
Yea, with ugly yellow grips to boot! :hand1:

Well I guess if you can't scare the bear with the gun the grips will scare momma or poppa bear off. :hand10:

Ti

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weird grips are no big deal though... just get another set. And for its intended purpose that's actually not a bad idea though.

Although honestly I feel like that's more of a gimmick to sell guns than anything, kind of like the "Mountain Gun" idea.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Actually discussing the grips with my uncle he raise a valid point in a bear attack if you were knocked down it would be very easy to find in a panic

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Bud White said:
Actually discussing the grips with my uncle he raise a valid point in a bear attack if you were knocked down it would be very easy to find in a panic

That is a valid point that I didn't think of! What would we do without uncles?

I understand now.

Ti

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
He's had a close encounter with a bear .. So was just stating his opinion on the matter it is a good point but still i wouldn't want the grips ... Bruce might like um though

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Euclidean said:
I must admit though, I find the idea you need an expensive top of the line performance S&W for bear defense a bit silly.

Well ya know in Grizz country ya can never have enough power thats what the 4' 500 was designed for ..

And to me the one with them yellow grips don't looking like a top of the line

But we'll have to wait and see on the price

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well my thinking is, if there's a bear in my face, yes I want something with lots of power and penetration but I need something I can control too like a hardcast .44 Magnum load. No matter what kind of handgun it is if I don't hit the bear where it counts the caliber is moot.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Cool but wierd too - well, re that comp!

I would tho like one a lot. Like Bud I am lusting for the 6" X frame 460 - and yet with already a .454 not sure I need it except for the real hot stuff.

But hey - we don't use ''need'' too much here, do we, as an excuse:18:

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a good point Bud. I keep thinking it's going to be like a .480 Ruger or something. If I ever did move to Alaska I'd get a stainless Marlin .45-70, a Mossberg Mariner, and a revolver in a big old chamber with a short little barrel.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Chris they say the 460 xframe make the 454 feel like a 45 colt when shooting a a 45 colt less than a 38 sp ..

Euc if you can handle a hot loaded 44 mag with confidence you can shoot the 500

1 - 17 of 17 Posts