Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found it funny when the guy said the 45 was over kill oh wait let me look for something different to kill your dog while its coming after me. Some people I am a dog owner an I keep my dogs in my yard don't let them get loose. I guess it can happen if they dig or jump a fence. Don't care if the dog is only 30 pounds he has teeth.
Fremont, N.C. — A Wayne County family was grieving the loss of their pet on Friday.

The Stanton family’s dog, a 7-month-old bulldog mix named Diesel, was shot by a police officer after investigators said it and a doberman-pit-bull mix, attacked a family walking near their Fremont home on Thanksgiving.

“Initially it was just shock. I just didn’t understand what was going on. I didn’t understand why it was going on,” Daniell Stanton said.

Stanton said he believes he found the shell casing involved in the shooting.

“I feel that the excessive force of the .45 caliber handgun to put down a 7-month-old puppy was probably too much,” Stanton said.

Stanton acknowledges his dogs were out and said he'll gladly accept citations issued by the officer. However, he believes his dogs were trying to play with a group walking by with a leashed Chihuahua when an officer got involved.

Stanton wants officers to receive training to use a different type of weapon in a situation like this.

“An apology is not going to bring the dog back,” Stanton said.

Police said 30-pound Diesel was shot after biting a 15-year-old boy and then coming after the officer.

“He came toward the officer aggressively and at that point the officer took him down,” Freemont Police Chief Ron Rawlings said.

Rawlings said the officer who shot Diesel is a K-9 officer.

“He loves pets, probably more than anyone,” Rawlings said.

Stanton said his concerns go beyond just his dog. He was concerned the bullet could have ricocheted off of a metal grate nearby.

Rawlings said the officer did the right thing by using a gun and not another weapon like mace. He said the real victim in the case is the family who was walking down the street and attacked by the dogs.

Hope Troutman, who was walking her Chihuahua, said she felt threatened by the dogs and was grateful for the officer’s actions.

“I hate what happened, but then again our officers are paid to protect and serve our citizens,” Rawlings said.

Rawlings said there is no investigation into the officer's actions.

* Reporter: Erin Hartness
* Photographer: Michael Joyner
* Web Editor: Kathy Hanrahan

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
45 cal is more merciful than impounding the dog and putting it down latter as a biter.

The 15 year old male that was bite may have medical bill that the dog owner should have to pay.

Lesson is keep your dog in next time and don't get a pit bull type dog.

·
Registered
763 Posts
So, cops should carry a .45 for humans and say a .22 for dogs? Hmmmm. Don't get the logic. Dead is dead regardless of caliber. Better for the dog to be dead than wounded. (Probably better for the cop, to).

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
.45 is a more humane way to kill an attacking dog than an ASP.
Did the guy want the cop to just TAZER the dog? PEPPER SPRAY?

These are the tools cops carry, what other method did the guy think was ok?

Who cares? The officer did the right thing, and should be thanked for it, not questioned.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
This seems like another case where the owner thinks its play, and everyone else perceives it as an attack. Including an K9 LEO.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I think the guy knows he is wrong but trying to make a big deal maybe to get them to try and drop the ticket. Think the city should send the dog owner a bill for the round lol.

·
Registered
288 Posts
An oldie, but a goodie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Itfr_V424

I'm somewhat biased when it comes to cops shooting dogs. A local sheriff shot and killed my neighbors akita mix a while back. Dog didnt have a mean bone in his body. 3 rounds as the dog was running away.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
An oldie, but a goodie:
YouTube - Aggressive Dog Tasered By Cop

I'm somewhat biased when it comes to cops shooting dogs. A local sheriff shot and killed my neighbors akita mix a while back. Dog didnt have a mean bone in his body. 3 rounds as the dog was running away.
That is absolutely ridiculous! Shoot that dog!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An oldie, but a goodie:
YouTube - Aggressive Dog Tasered By Cop

Well that link you showed I would of thought that would of been enough to put the dog down. People fail to realize that dogs tolerance of pain is different then people. Labs can jump in cold water all day and it wont bother them. If you ever seen dogs play and fight they bite each other and really doesn't phase them. You can see that in the video the dog felt the taser put didn't put him down like a human I know if a dog comes at me and I can shot it I am. If he stops before I shoot and turns tail I wont shoot.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I wasn't there. But if I witness a 30lb+ "bull" type dog biting others and then see it come violently after me, then I'm going to see it stopped. If that dog will only listen to 9mm or greater insistence, then that'll have to be its problem ... not mine.

People fail to realize that dogs tolerance of pain is different then people.
Yup.

I've been aggressively chewed on by a dog once. It isn't pretty. Had to shove my hand down its throat in order to get the dang thing to stop. It was about the only choice I had, given that my hand was in its mouth and it wouldn't let go. I simply gave it what it was asking for: a mouthful of me. Of course, I did it for a sufficiently long period of time for it to realize that breathing was more important than chewing on me. I won't go there, again. I, too, am out there to "protect and serve" humans over aggressive attacking dogs, every day of the week.

You don't want your dog stopped permanently? Then, don't let it out to wreak havoc on neighborhood children and others.

·
Registered
687 Posts
“I feel that the excessive force of the .45 caliber handgun to put down a 7-month-old puppy was probably too much,” Stanton said.
Way to play on words so it sounds like a defenseless baby.

wever, he believes his dogs were trying to play with a group walking by with a leashed Chihuahua when an officer got involved.
IT BIT THE BOY!

Stanton said his concerns go beyond just his dog. He was concerned the bullet could have ricocheted off of a metal grate nearby.
Uh Huh....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Why was your neighbor allowing his dog to run loose?

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
That Stanton guy needs to suck it up and realize he is part of the problem. He is to blame for the death of his own dog because he is not responsible enough to keep the animal contained.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah was wonder why he wasn't concerned about his dog biting someone. when I use to walk my dogs I use to get people who would ask me does he bite I would respond all dogs bite. But he hasn't attacked anybody yet so dont go trying to pet him if he doesn't know you or I say its ok.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Unless you are there while a dog is biting and attacking, not sure you get to have much opinion. I totally agree that the dog's owner should have made sure the dog was behind a fence, not running loose.

Oh, and I have nine dogs at home and lots of six-foot chain link because I do not want my "kids" getting out. I know they are nice dogs, but someone else may not know that. Why take the chance?

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Unless you are there while a dog is biting and attacking, not sure you get to have much opinion.
And yet, I'd bet that most folks have been on the receiving end of an AWD snapper. By virtue of that, most will have earned an educated guess as to what the appropriate responses might be in a similar situation.

As you suggest, each situation is different. To the extent it's similar to most other incidents of aggressive mid-to-large dogs going haywire, such dogs aren't likely to offer many choices beyond one or two: defend quickly and aggressively; else, withstand the initial attack well enough to await the dog losing interest. As a fuming AWD terror doesn't allow much discussion on the list of choices, barring the latter then the former is about all you can do.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Shoot the dog and zap the owner with a tazer... the spray him with pepper spary for letting his dog "play" without a leash on.
I like this idea.:haha:

The owner is trying to put the heat on anyone but himself. How rational is it to think the officer should have a different caliber gun to shoot a dog with.

·
Registered
304 Posts
really?

Unless you are there while a dog is biting and attacking, not sure you get to have much opinion. I totally agree that the dog's owner should have made sure the dog was behind a fence, not running loose.

Oh, and I have nine dogs at home and lots of six-foot chain link because I do not want my "kids" getting out. I know they are nice dogs, but someone else may not know that. Why take the chance?
No joke. Lots of judging going on here. I don't know what happened. I am giving the officer the benefit of the doubt as he was there, but we have seen in recent news stories how trained officers have been showing a tendancy to come out shooting when they see a bully breed.

And yet, I'd bet that most folks have been on the receiving end of an AWD snapper. By virtue of that, most will have earned an educated guess as to what the appropriate responses might be in a similar situation.
Really? I would put money down that most of the commenters have never been on the receiving end of a malicious dog bite.

Side story (as appropriate for everyone commenting on someone elses story, right?)
I looked out the window over the holiday weekend and saw my "bully" breed dog run across the street and get shooed away by a pedestrian walking her dog. I ran out front to beat some sense into him, by that time he was back in the yard. I have no idea how he got in or out yet. Not a clue. New 6' privacy fence all the way around. Point being, it is not always as easy as "keep your dog in the yard."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts