Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't so much a "what would you do in this scenario" thread. I played poker last night and got home around 1:30am. Got home, turned on the TV, took my jeans off in the living room and layed down on the couch to watch a show. I was tired, turned off the TV, and passed out.

Around 3:30am, I hear knocking on my door and it wakes me up. I don't care what anyone needs at 3:30, so I went back to sleep. The knocking continues, then I hear talking and someone walking around to my window. I still don't care what they want, but I pull my jeans over so my gun is handy in case something happens.

Again, knocking at the door. I still ignore it, but it continues. I figure they aren't going to give up, so I throw on my jeans and walk to the door. I've got my gun in the holster and turned away, and I decide to look through the peep hole first. It looks like a security guard, or a cop. Playing it safe, I set the gun on a shelf out of view but within arms reach. I've heard of people dressing as cops to gain entry to someone's house, and I know I haven't done or witnessed anything wrong.

I open the door a crack, and he explains the people above me had complained about hearing explosions on my stereo and other loud noise. I told him the TV had been on for about a half hour, but that was hours ago. He left without incident.

Anyway, to the point...is it going to be trouble if you answer the door and it's a cop, and you have a gun openly carried on your person? If you have it hidden but in your hand, is that going to get you shot? Not really sure of the protocol for this...:blink:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
In Texas? Lol. No worries man. (Assuming you're on your own property, you can open or conceal carry w/o a permit.) Just don't be surprised if the LEO doesn't like you holding it...

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
no not if your state has a castle doctrine in place because you are on your own property.

·
Registered
806 Posts
That would be a tough call without the laws known immediately.

Good to hear all went well.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you live in Phoenix and the officer sees your gun and decides to whip his out and shoot you, there is a high likelihood that it will be ruled he acted within policy.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Wow. Note to self...if living in AZ, kill the intruder, THEN call the cops and tell them it is no longer an emergency. I can't believe they were cleared. But that's an argument for another topic.

I think keeping it in the holster will be fine if it happens again. If I don't recognize it as a cop or guard, I'll have it in hand at those hours of the night.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Just have to remember that guns make cops VERY nervous. I would ask to see ID and that they state their business.

·
Banned
265 Posts
Castle Doctrine (SB184) fully in place in OH (Finally). Come to the door with gun in hand.....just don't cross the threshold of your door or point it at anyone unless threatened.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
It is not recommended to have a gun in hand visible to any LEO without prior acknowledgment or permission. His surprise could become mutual. If it is concealed or not visible, a gun should be very accessible for a wee hour knock at the door. Any little middle-of-the-night knock or noise around here sets off a cacophony of mastiff queries that make it difficult to carry on a conversation.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I normally answering the door with my pistol concealed from their site, or holstered, so the person I’m speaking with has no idea I’m armed.

Over 25 years ago, I use to roll with the SD on NARC raids, and I’ll tell you that if you’re holding a gun in your hand it would not be pleasant.

The problem is you don’t know why an LEO is at your door or if they have the wrong Intel, or wrong address.

So it’s best to never hold a gun in your hand, where they can see you.

At 3:30 in the morning, I would ask for “ID” and then close the door (locked) and then call 911 to confirm who they are. Or I might just call 911, without opening the door, and report a suspicious person at my door, and then let the operator tell me they are real LEO’s.

·
Registered
189 Posts
There's no way in hell I would answer the door for the police with it in my hand. IMO that's just asking to get shot. I'd keep it on my belt either open or concealed, just not in my hand.

·
Banned
265 Posts
It is not recommended to have a gun in hand visible to any LEO without prior acknowledgment or permission. His surprise could become mutual. If it is concealed or not visible, a gun should be very accessible for a wee hour knock at the door. Any little middle-of-the-night knock or noise around here sets off a cacophony of mastiff queries that make it difficult to carry on a conversation.
Oh yeah.....thats what i meant!!! I wouldn't recommend swinging the door wide open brandishing weapons.....screaming at the top of your voice "what the **** do you want!!! That would be silly.

·
Banned
265 Posts
The problem is you don’t know why an LEO is at your door or if they have the wrong Intel, or wrong address.

So it’s best to never hold a gun in your hand, where they can see you.
yeah again, this is what i meant. The OP indicated that "he didn't do anything wrong or did he witness anything."

There has been a rise in home invasions here in Cincy by BG impersonating LEO.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would be sweet to have one of those little sliding windows in your door like at an old speakeasy...talk and see more through it without actually opening the door.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
is it going to be trouble if you answer the door and it's a cop, and you have a gun openly carried on your person? If you have it hidden but in your hand, is that going to get you shot? Not really sure of the protocol for this...:blink:
There's no "accepted" protocol, so far as I have ever heard.

The law allows what it allows, and almost everywhere I know it's perfectly suitable for you to carry your own firearm in your own home in any manner you see fit.

Personally, I prefer to be in darkness looking out into a well-lit area, so that both I and my firearm are well hidden. It doesn't ruffle feathers, it doesn't provoke anything, and yet I'm ready in the event it's needed. At night, though, I'm like you. I don't answer the door at night, unless I know the person. But my door/entry area isn't properly set up to have the perfect "blind" negotiation at the door, in which I have full view of the person in advance of coming near the door. Some day soon.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
It's your house. You can answer the door in your underwear with a gun in your hand if you want to. If whoever is at the door doesn't like it they can leave and that includes LE. I had a lawyer friend of mine answer his door wearing a gun in a holster when some cops were knocking. They asked him to put the gun away. He told them, "My house, my rules. Feel free to leave if you don't like my rules".

·
Registered
18 Posts
While I agree you can do this if you want, it could end up costing you dearly. Being right won't matter much if you are dead from a LEO over-reacting. I believe there are several threads about the same story of a home owner holding a BG at gun point only to get shot from a police officer. He was argueably doing everything correct but he almost died from it to. I will definetly keep it concealed if I get one of those late night visits.

It's your house. You can answer the door in your underwear with a gun in your hand if you want to. If whoever is at the door doesn't like it they can leave and that includes LE. I had a lawyer friend of mine answer his door wearing a gun in a holster when some cops were knocking. They asked him to put the gun away. He told them, "My house, my rules. Feel free to leave if you don't like my rules".

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It took me awhile to remember these incidents but my dad is the king of answering the door armed.
Ive gotten locked out of the house growing up a few times, my dad comes to open the door in tighty whities and his sidearm. Its in hand but out of sight, doors are wonderful concealment.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts