Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Keep meaning to get some and try it - but so far not managed.

The theory is excellent and I'd expect good results but - until I do some tests it's just guesswork!

·
1951 - 2011
496 Posts
Hello. Corbon's PowRball is an aggressive expander that still manages to get around 12" penetration in 10% ballistic gelatin. It does this because it takes 4 or 5" penetration for the bullet jacket to separate enough from around the polymer ball that forms the nose to allow the hydraulic forces to begin expanding the thinly jacketed bullet. I have not shot any living creature with PowRball. In wet pack and water, it has consistently expanded in 9mm and .45 ACP, which are the only calibers I've tried it in. One fellow I trust reported seeing it used on deer from a .45, but penetration was lacking and below the 12" in ballistic gelatin.

My limited experiences with the PowRball are just that, but I think it is probably a good defense load for folks concerned with overpenetration issues.

Here is what I do have:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/CorbonPowRball.htm

Personally, I prefer the DPX line of Corbon ammunition.

Best.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I just ordered some in .40 S&W. Was notified they are on back order. Hope they come soon to try out.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
My understanding was the pwr ball was an efficent bullet , specifically made to cycle thru picky guns.

·
Registered
182 Posts
KC135 said:
Lots of results from testing on www.stoppingpower.net . Check the 'Test Bed' forum and do a search.
They have alot of good information when it comes to testing ammo. As far as opinions and comments Evan and his group are a bunch of primadonas that I can do without. They are also very bias towards CorBon.
Now I said my peace. I have tried PowRBall 9mm and it fast very fast like all CorBon ammo.My tests have been limited but from what I can tell it should work. Another ammo you might want to look at is Federal EFMJ. In my testing with a Kahr E9 & K9 & MK9 this and the Federal HST loads group rather well. As far as CorBons loads the +P115 9mm seem to work better out of my guns. I read in Handguns Mag a few months back Dave Spalding wrote that he thought the EFMJ round was excellant and would carry if he could. That is as close to what I remember so excuse me if I wrote it wrong.
Most of the Personal Defense ammo is good just have to see what works better in your gun and works 100% of time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts