Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a box of Corbon .45 +P 230 gr JHP. Haven't had a chance to shoot any yet.

I have a 1911 5" if this helps. Anyone have any experience with this stuff.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Cor-Bon ammo is pretty hot. It is acceptably accurate for SD. Recoil is pretty stout and I'd recommend a shok buff for your 1911. Also be sure your gun is rated for +P ammo.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
It's 'solid' ammo I use in my Kimbers and Glocks for SD.:yup::hand10:

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
I have CorBon ammo for all three of my pistol calibers, and shot it in all of them. I like it, it's good. But when they say +P........it means +P!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

That's kind of what I thought. Although, I didn't expect to hear a general consensus about recoil. So far, 30 years or so, I haven't found anything I put thru my .45 that felt unpleasant. What I do find objectionable is shooting full loads of .357 Mag from a 4" Python a friend owns.
My 1911(Colt) started out as a stock mod. 70 Gold Cup. After extensive alterations by the late Austin Behlert, which does include a shock buffer along with pretty heavy Wolfe springs, I guess the pistol can handle it.
I'll be going to the range one night this week and I'll let you know.

Again, many thanks for a fast and usefull response.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I just got a box of Corbon .45 +P 230 gr JHP. Haven't had a chance to shoot any yet.

I use it in my Kimber Custom CDP II. No problems with it at all.

I didn't expect to hear a general consensus about recoil. So far, 30 years or so, I haven't found anything I put thru my .45 that felt unpleasant.
Personally, I haven't noticed any significant recoil issues at all. In fact, my Kimber .45 is about the same as my Sig 9mm when it comes to recoil. Both are great guns and a pleasure to shoot.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I've used it for 25 years in my carry pistols, I wouldn't use anything else. Yes, it is hot stuff, but the way I figure it, handguns are underpowered anyway, no matter what caliber you use. All you can do to help things is make sure you use hot ammo that gets the velocity up so the bullet hits as hard as possible. Corbon accomplishes that, giving you a better chance at stopping an attack......

As a sidenote, I have compared the advertised velocities of other self defense rounds, and Corbon consistently backs up their claims on velocity where it counts - the Chronograph.....

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I moved to all Corbon DPX mid last year from Federal Hydro's. Bullet design and manufacturing has changed again and testing proves the new DPX Barnes Design. I have lots to go around as I started buying in quantities before the November elections.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I like Corbon so much I actually have a .400 Corbon rig. The recoil is "sharp", but all their ammo is kind of like that. So far as I know Corbon has always been good stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts

Thanks in advance,

Bruce
Hot, hits hard, lots of shock, blows stuff up real well.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts

Thanks in advance,

Bruce
I carry the same ammo in my lil PT-145 no probs at all.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Standard Corbon is more like +P, and +P corbon is more like +P+. Its some wicked stuff, but sure is good at going bang everytime.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Thanks guys,

That's kind of what I thought. Although, I didn't expect to hear a general consensus about recoil. So far, 30 years or so, I haven't found anything I put thru my .45 that felt unpleasant. What I do find objectionable is shooting full loads of .357 Mag from a 4" Python a friend owns.
My 1911(Colt) started out as a stock mod. 70 Gold Cup. After extensive alterations by the late Austin Behlert, which does include a shock buffer along with pretty heavy Wolfe springs, I guess the pistol can handle it.
I'll be going to the range one night this week and I'll let you know.

Again, many thanks for a fast and usefull response.

Bruce
Wow, I had forgotten about Austin. I bought a new Gold Cup in the late 70's that to say the best of it was "it will make a good boat anchor". I was so disappointed with it I was just going to trade it off when a friend said "send it to Behlert". I did and when it came back the anchor was a race horse. I don't know what he did but it was a Phoenix upon its return. 28 years later I still regret selling that pistol. Is his company still around?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yes....use it.....it is good stuff.....

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Same ammo I have in my EDC (Springfield XD). Hot rounds, and they have a larger than normal flash when night shooting.

-Plop

1 - 15 of 15 Posts