Defensive Carry banner

Best defensive round for .45 acp 5" barrel

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently shoot the Golden Sabres but I'm seeking opinions on the best overall carry rounds, .45 acp, 5" barrel.

Thanks,
George

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
any of the bigger names should work. Rangers, hydroshocks, or the like . I think accuracy is more important than which HP you are using.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I still have some Golden Sabers but generally for 45acp SD's choose GD's, the 185's ... those thru a 220.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've been sticking with the Win. Ranger 230gr. SXT, an improved but not-black Talon. And a box of 50 is $20-22.00.

I buy into it being equal to or better than all the rest, and seems like most of the others come in boxes of 20 or 25 rds. with price tags that have stopping power!

B.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Hydrashocks are my personal favorite. But I'd echo rocky. Each gun has it's own quirks. Invest in a box of each of the premiums and run them through checking for function and accuracy.

Plus it's a legitimate excuse to shoot more of the good stuff.:image035:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
+1 to Rocky....plus, today's bullet designers are at the top of their game with today's self defense ammo.

That said I think any .45 ACP self defense round loaded by Double Tap Ammo is super as is Winchester's Ranger-T.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I also agree with Rocky. As for myself, I get the best accuracy from my Ruger-97 with the Speer GDHP in the 200gn loaded to +p.

·
Registered
50 Posts
After looking at the results of the many ballistics tests, I decided to try out 230gr Gold Dot's through my .45

It'll eat 'em up all day long, and accuracy is also top notch.

Jake

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I use Federal 230gr HyrdaShoks. They run very reliably in my 1911's and in tests I've done with wet newsprint, they expand well.

I'm old. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I carry 230 gr. Gold Dot hollow points in my 5" Springfield 1911. They are accurate, reliable, and expand perfectly in water.

I have considered giving the 200 gr. +P a shot - but reliability testing is expensive.

·
Super Moderator
13,123 Posts
Of the major brands, reliability first, accuracy second; the rest is about performance and they'll all work and fail about the same.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If a gun will halfway feed ball, it will feed the CB PB.

Really tho, I like the CB DPX better, but carry the PB in my alloy frame commander.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Gold Dot SB 230's out of a Sig 245

·
Registered
143 Posts
I suspect any personal defense round in a .45 will do the job, but good placement will rule the day.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts