Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wait until this hits the homeless population in California...….just my thoughts. 7th case according to CDC in California.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I am starting to suspect that the panic over this is a media-created hype-fest. The death rate from this appears not to be much different from a serious strain of the flu, and definitely not as significant as the SARS outbreak from a few years ago. Certainly precautions should be taken for vulnerable populations (infants, elderly, immune-compromised), but beyond that, I'm not seeing this as something to panic about.

The hype over it is certainly tanking the stock market, though. Hmm....

(dons tinfoil hat...)

·
Registered
33,912 Posts
I am starting to suspect that the panic over this is a media-created hype-fest. The death rate from this appears not to be much different from a serious strain of the flu, and definitely not as significant as the SARS outbreak from a few years ago. Certainly precautions should be taken for vulnerable populations (infants, elderly, immune-compromised), but beyond that, I'm not seeing this as something to panic about.

The hype over it is certainly tanking the stock market, though. Hmm....

(dons tinfoil hat...)
The current strain of flu has killed far more than this Mexican-beer virus. As for the stock market drop, the virus is just an excuse to reap some profits and buy back at a lower price.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I remember in the Fall of 2014, people on this forum were all panicked about the Ebola virus. People were doing the Chicken Little routine. They were all for violating anyone's rights who might even have a chance of carrying the virus, even if there were no symptoms. Supposedly liberty-loving people here were all for imprisoning Kaci Hickox, a nurse who have bravely volunteered to treat Ebola patients in Africa and have her lose all her rights because her body temperature was slightly elevated when she returned to this country. She was an expert in Ebola, and she said she didn't have it. A major medical journal and the Doctors Without Borders organization supported her. Even after she tested negative for the virus, NJ still kept her in a quarantine tent and people on this forum were all for it. She is now suing NJ.

And of course, for all the paranoia, the Ebola thing never amounted to anything in the US.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I finally got my flu vaccine a little over a week ago. Made my arm sore for a few days. Turning into a wimp in my old age. I hope this one is not what they are saying it might be. May still a little early yet to be sure medically.

·
Banned
232 Posts
They way I see the news is that it hasn't reached pandemic proportions yet but what is has done is get out of control much quicker than anything they have seen up to this point. It has already, or soon will, surpass the SARS count. But I feel the reason they are concerned is not because of the actual numbers, but because of the % per capita. I'm not putting a number up because it's changed fairly often recently. The outbreak itself isn't terrible, but the number it kills is.

FWIW- I'm not letting it ruin my sleep.

·
Registered
956 Posts
On the Columbia River roughly eight miles from the ocean is the Knaptton Cove Heritage Center. It's what left of the quarantine station and it closed sometime in the 1930's. Every ship was inspected for disease before being allowed up river to Portland. If infected were found that's where you ended up. I imagine every port of entry in the Republic had something similar.Photo' Past and Present

They must not do a thorough job of teaching history because at one time infectious diseases were very much a part and fact of life in this country for a majority of our history. It doesn't seem like it's remembered . An example would be that not only was the Continental Army and G. Washington fighting the British, they were also battling a small pox outbreak. A bad bad one.

People weren't so much about hurting feelings or appearances as they were about containing a deadly outbreak. Serious business.
I can still remember the fear and concern caused by Polio and other infectious diseases in my childhood. We had one neighborhood kid with Polio.

We live in a remarkable time and have benefited from great advances in the sciences.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
I remember in the Fall of 2014, people on this forum were all panicked about the Ebola virus. People were doing the Chicken Little routine. They were all for violating anyone's rights who might even have a chance of carrying the virus, even if there were no symptoms. Supposedly liberty-loving people here were all for imprisoning Kaci Hickox, a nurse who have bravely volunteered to treat Ebola patients in Africa and have her lose all her rights because her body temperature was slightly elevated when she returned to this country. She was an expert in Ebola, and she said she didn't have it. A major medical journal and the Doctors Without Borders organization supported her. Even after she tested negative for the virus, NJ still kept her in a quarantine tent and people on this forum were all for it. She is now suing NJ.

And of course, for all the paranoia, the Ebola thing never amounted to anything in the US.
She was wrong then. She is wrong now. Thankfully she was healthy. Quarantine over a virus that severe isn't stripping her rights. She had due process and was made whole. She was new the risks of her profession.

Ebola hemorrhagic fever is a very different conversation than a flu.

·
Registered
10,184 Posts

Wuhan Coronavirus mortality rate: 2%
Ebola mortality rate: 90%

Not quite the same thing.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Wuhan Coronavirus mortality rate: 2%
Ebola mortality rate: 90%

Not quite the same thing.
In 2014, in the US:
Deaths due to Ebola: 2
Deaths due to the flu: 106

You're right, not the same thing. I would think it should be actual deaths that count, not theoretical percentages. And in Kaci Hickox's case, it was politicians overruling doctors who were boots on the ground with Ebola on a medical matter. New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and California instituted mandatory 21 quarantines for people who had been exposed to Ebola, even if they had no symptoms and even if they tested negative for the virus. Most states had no such restrictions and had no problems.

So the government is going to violate your rights over the chance, no evidence, that you might be dangerous. Sounds like the same rationale for a lot of gun control laws.

·
Registered
33,912 Posts
Typhoid Mary...

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
In 2014, in the US:
Deaths due to Ebola: 2
Deaths due to the flu: 106

You're right, not the same thing. I would think it should be actual deaths that count, not theoretical percentages. And in Kaci Hickox's case, it was politicians overruling doctors who were boots on the ground with Ebola on a medical matter. New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and California instituted mandatory 21 quarantines for people who had been exposed to Ebola, even if they had no symptoms and even if they tested negative for the virus. Most states had no such restrictions and had no problems.

So the government is going to violate your rights over the chance, no evidence, that you might be dangerous. Sounds like the same rationale for a lot of gun control laws.
Apples and oranges. Gun control laws are a legislative attempt to permanently prevent the entire population from exercising a natural right. The quarantine was about particular persons exposed to a particular disease that carried particular risks. In Hickox' case, she exhibited symptoms of the disease, and was held until it was very sure she did not carry it, a total of three days. That's well within the legitimate power of the state to protect public health. Tests and doctors can be wrong.

Some people are so worried about rights that they simply deny that the government has authority to inconvenience them in any way. They are wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts

·
Registered
6,733 Posts

There was a near panic over an outbreak of "Ebola" in the US. It was even the subject of a movie.

Species: Reston ebolavirus (does not cause illness in people)
Reported number of cases: 0
Reported number of deaths and percentage of fatal cases: 0
Situation

Ebola-Reston virus was introduced into a quarantine facility in Texas by monkeys imported from the Philippines. No human infections were identified.1

1 Rollin PE, Williams J, Bressler D, et al. Isolated cases of Ebola (subtype Reston) virus among quarantined non-human primates recently imported from the Philippines to the United States. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 1999;179 (suppl 1):S108-S114.
From the CDC

Reactions: Sister and ETXhiker
1 - 20 of 76 Posts