Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tonight we are coming back from the gun range and decide to stop at Costco. I casually tell my wife that I think we should our membership to Sam's club because of the gunbuster sign that Costco has out front. She agreed, and even stated that our membership should be up this month or next.

She had something to return, so I stayed outside until she was finished (with the carts) and then we were going to go into the store entrance after. I was casually looking around at the signs . . . and no gunbuster sign in sight. I looked again at the signs to make sure that they didn't just put it in text on one of the "membership rules" signs. Nope, not there either.

Wife comes out and I call her over to me and tell her that I don't see the sign anymore. She looks all over the front of the store. Can't find it. Then, I find the holes in the wall where the sign used to be. There's no scratches in the wall like the sign got hit with a cart and broke. There's no screw left over and the hole isn't widened like someone came and stole it. It's just . . . no longer there.

So of course, first thing I tell my wife is, "Wait!" I head back out to my car, got me EDC, and then we went shopping.

The interesting thing is that I sent them an email a month or so ago (sent it to the corporate VP in charge of customer service), and that person said they'd forward it to the right person. Of course, I thought that meant the recycle bin at the time. I haven't heard anything back from them either, but I did reference this store in particular.

Coincidence? More than likely. I am wondering however, if there's been a policy change. Has anyone see any changes at Costco? Maybe the sign just fell off? I'm happily befuddled at the moment.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
They are not going to change policy, they just took down the signs. They still are VERY anti-gun.

Reactions: Bad Bob and TN_Mike

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I love me some Costco. I used to work for them (sales and marketing) when I was changing careers and needed a bridge from one to the other to keep health insurance, pay bills, etc while my wife and I figured out our next steps with 2 small kids. So they have a fond place in my heart. Jim Senegal (the old CEO) was a brilliant and humble leader (capped his salary at $350,000 and his office desk was a folding table), but knew he was also pretty liberal on the political spectrum. I am bummed to hear they are anti-gun...never knew it when I worked there. I'd still be a member there over Sam's if they were in my area. Some things go a little deeper for me even if you don't honor the 2A.

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
Ours has the sign ( not WI legal) and it is mounted on the far exit side. No signs when you walk in. You have to look for it by the exit. I believe they know the signs are not legal size or in a correct placement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My understanding is that the signs don't change the law. If you are legal to carry, you are legal to carry. However, if store personnel confront you about their policy and ask you to leave, you are then trespassing with a firearm if you don't leave.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My understanding is that the signs don't change the law. If you are legal to carry, you are legal to carry. However, if store personnel confront you about their policy and ask you to leave, you are then trespassing with a firearm if you don't leave.
It's a state by state thing. I remember reading that in Arkansas if you carry in a store that has the signs posted, it is an automatic misdemeanor and you can have you license suspended for a certain time period.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a state by state thing. I remember reading that in Arkansas if you carry in a store that has the signs posted, it is an automatic misdemeanor and you can have you license suspended for a certain time period.
Yep, that's AZ as well.

·
Super Moderator
19,938 Posts
So tonight we are coming back from the gun range and decide to stop at Costco. I casually tell my wife that I think we should our membership to Sam's club because of the gunbuster sign that Costco has out front. She agreed, and even stated that our membership should be up this month or next.

She had something to return, so I stayed outside until she was finished (with the carts) and then we were going to go into the store entrance after. I was casually looking around at the signs . . . and no gunbuster sign in sight. I looked again at the signs to make sure that they didn't just put it in text on one of the "membership rules" signs. Nope, not there either.

Wife comes out and I call her over to me and tell her that I don't see the sign anymore. She looks all over the front of the store. Can't find it. Then, I find the holes in the wall where the sign used to be. There's no scratches in the wall like the sign got hit with a cart and broke. There's no screw left over and the hole isn't widened like someone came and stole it. It's just . . . no longer there.

So of course, first thing I tell my wife is, "Wait!" I head back out to my car, got me EDC, and then we went shopping.

The interesting thing is that I sent them an email a month or so ago (sent it to the corporate VP in charge of customer service), and that person said they'd forward it to the right person. Of course, I thought that meant the recycle bin at the time. I haven't heard anything back from them either, but I did reference this store in particular.

Coincidence? More than likely. I am wondering however, if there's been a policy change. Has anyone see any changes at Costco? Maybe the sign just fell off? I'm happily befuddled at the moment.
Which Costco? There are 3 near me and I'll have to keep an eye out to see if the signs have disappeared.

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
No signs?
Leave well enough alone...no more emails asking about the missing signs or company policies...IMHO

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
That is true for VA, but the laws vary from state to state. If you travel, prior to a trip review the laws of the states you'll be traveling through. It's the reason I have Handgunlaw.us bookmarked on every computer I own and my computer at work as well. The company I work for is gun friendly and several of the service tech's carry. If I know their service ticket is taking them out of state, I'll print out the rules for that state and give it to them before they head out.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Our Costco has a gun buster sign, it's behind the counter on the BB at the very bottom by where the pictures are taken. Hmmmmmm not where it should be is it.

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
No signs?
Leave well enough alone...no more emails asking about the missing signs or company policies...IMHO
Exactly. The removal of the sign, assuming it actually stays down, represents some type of shift in policy, even if it is not an "official" change. In today's unstable and highly politicized environment most smart companies are going to try and avoid the issue to the extent they can so they can stay out of the controversy. I would fully expect COSTCO and many others to have "official" anti 2A policies to appease the politicians and cover themselves legally, but to not enforce those policies so their customers aren't actually impacted or aware of the policy. My guess is that they are playing both sides of the fence.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Ohiocatter,
Which store do you go to? My wife and I shop the Avon store and haven't seen a sign. Do you carry regardless because of the misplaced sign?

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
They are not going to change policy, they just took down the signs. They still are VERY anti-gun.
If they take down the signs (or in the case of two near me, have never had signs up) can they still be considered "VERY anti-gun"?

Reactions: Pete63 and niks

·
Registered
19 Posts
They opened a Costco near us just about a year ago. My wife and I joined, prior to finding out about the company's stance on firearms. After learning, we were not too happy. Since finding out, we went back to ask for a refund of our membership. We were pleased to find no 30.06 postings anywhere, and the only signage posted is the required sign concerning unlicensed carry in a location that sells alcohol for off premise consumption. If you don't know, Texas has very specific signage requirements to prevent carry.

While pleased to find they have not posted the location near us, we will not renew our membership. There are two Sam's clubs equally close to us, and we like them better anyway. Guess we had to check out the new place when it opened, but we now know better!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've never seen a no gun sign at my local Costco, and I've always carried there. Concealed of course.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Which Costco? There are 3 near me and I'll have to keep an eye out to see if the signs have disappeared.
Avondale, tucked in between 99th and 107th on McDowell.

No signs?
Yep. I was going to ask a manager, then I had that exact same thought and left well enough alone! If it's not there, there's no problem with me carrying.

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck...seriously, don't support businesses that don't support our rights. I stopped shopping at Costco years ago for this reason.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts