Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where it happened, think I saw it on HLN. Dog, looked like yellow lab, intervened between 11 yr old boy and cougar. Dog's rightly called a hero and survived but only because someone shot the cat as he chomped down on dog's head. Details anyone?!?!?

Bob

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hmmm, I was expecting a story about a sexually aggressive middle-aged woman... :rofl:

First I've heard of this story, thanks for posting it. Hope the doggie pulls through quickly, and he's definitely a hero. If I was his owner, he'd be eating steak for a LONG time. :yup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sure wish I could get attacked by one of them thar "cougars". :rofl:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm glad the dog is ok and dang right, steak for a long, long time.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Hmmm, I was expecting a story about a sexually aggressive middle-aged woman... :rofl:

First I've heard of this story, thanks for posting it. Hope the doggie pulls through quickly, and he's definitely a hero. If I was his owner, he'd be eating steak for a LONG time. :yup:
Me too, hade to double check which section this thread was in!:rofl:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Seriously, now, that's the one thing I worry about. Our farm is in Western W.Va., one of the two "rural" counties of W.Va. according to the Governor's office. Very hilly, forested land. Wolves, coyotes, black bears, ok. But a cougar's sneaky and will jump on your back from behind and crunch your skull before you know he's there. I've got a S&W model 29 "mountain gun" in a cross-draw holster so as to be able to shoot under my left arm into such a beast. But I'm not sure how effective I'd be with large canines sticking into my neck. And there's no EMS out there, and the nearest neighbors are miles away.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Those of us who live in cities and suburbs often lose track of the fact that there exist dangerous wildlife often fairly close outside the city limits.

I am fairly sure I saw a bobcat one time in an area on the east coat where there had been some attacks; it might have been a large feral cat, but I don't think so-- too big.

I know someone who has a mountain lion poking around their farmland and neighbors cattle ranch, not all that far from civilization and actually just 10 miles from a major interstate hwy.

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
I saw this on the news. At the end they asked the boy how he was going to reward his dog. He answered they had already bought steak.

The dog saved the boy and the deputy saved the dog (luckily he was only a 1/2 block away).

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I saw this on the news. At the end they asked the boy how he was going to reward his dog. He answered they had already bought steak.

The dog saved the boy and the deputy saved the dog (luckily he was only a 1/2 block away).
No doubt, considering this happened in Canada. I don't think our northern friends are allowed to have a handgun in the home. Are they allowed a rifle or shotgun?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Seriously, now, that's the one thing I worry about. Our farm is in Western W.Va., one of the two "rural" counties of W.Va. according to the Governor's office. Very hilly, forested land. Wolves, coyotes, black bears, ok. But a cougar's sneaky and will jump on your back from behind and crunch your skull before you know he's there. I've got a S&W model 29 "mountain gun" in a cross-draw holster so as to be able to shoot under my left arm into such a beast. But I'm not sure how effective I'd be with large canines sticking into my neck. And there's no EMS out there, and the nearest neighbors are miles away.
I like dogs, but do no own one as they are too much trouble. However, in your situation I would own at least one and maybe two large enough to help in a situation where I might be attacked by a lion or whoever.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
No doubt, considering this happened in Canada. I don't think our northern friends are allowed to have a handgun in the home. Are they allowed a rifle or shotgun?
Yes, they're allowed all three, pistol, rifle, and shotgun. The only thing I know of off the top of my head is that a pistol barrel must be so long, and cannot be under that length (4 inches I think, I welcome correction if I'm wrong) and that there's a 10 round limit on magazines.

Any Canadian members around who can clarify the law?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Just put a Stoeger Cougar on layaway.

I felt the gun properly reflected my taste in women.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
My Siberian got out and unfortunately was loose & we were trying to find him ..... but it was fortunate for a little girl. Some 'unknown' guy pulled up, leaving his car door open and grabbed the girl and started dragging her to his car (as she screamed and fought him). My Siberian..... loved kids, and I always said... I pity anyone who would mess with a kid around him.

The Siberian (Timber) ran out of the bushes and at a dead run jumped into the middle of the guy's chest... obviously knocking him flat. He then kept himself between the guy and the girl, and would not let him grab her ... even though he tried.. Finally , the dog chomped into his leg and wouldn't let go.... guy hobbled to his car with dog in tow on his leg and hurriedly left.

The Police called to let us know they had our dog.... then we learned what had happened. Good DOG !!! He ate hamburger and steaks for quite awhile. He knew he did good. He's now deceased, but one great dog while he was here.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
i'd be buying that Golden a lot of steak dinners...:yup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eagleks: great story! I've seen my Lab/GSD intervene, though much less dramatically; but that's all that was needed.

User: The Eastern Co's of WV are generally the more rural, Western more inhabited. But we all know about generalization. Anyway, what co. ya' talkin' bout?

Bob
PS: We all know there's no cougars in WV, DNR says so.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I've read in several articles where these cougars have attacked mountain bikers and have either killed or injured them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts