Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was involved in some pretty heavy stream fishing yesterday afternoon, wading several miles of at least waist deep water, and at times slightly deeper. I kept my gen 4 g26 inside a zipped pocket at about stomach level inside my fishing vest. My Glock was only occasionally dunked under water and my vest is sooo thick making any water touching my gun more or less filtered-no gunk in the gun just stream water. Is there any need to worry about the small internal springs- trigger, firing pin, mag spring, or anything else you can think of? I know the rest of the gun is fine, but would there be any reason to take the gun apart and let it dry. I didn’t take it apart because I am going shooting today and plan on putting at least 100 rounds through my g26. Anything I should worry about besides the ammo.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Field strip the weapon...cover all the parts in rice for 24 hours...(rice will draw out all the moisture)...then as the mod stated
give the weapon a good cleaning. You should be fine.......

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Shoot it and the ammo that got wet then strip it down and do a detailed cleaning of it and your magazines

Reactions: Eagleks

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Certainly a good idea to clean it, but just for your peace of mind, I'd say the odds of it being damaged to the point of impacting function are pretty much zero. People do absolutely ridiculous things to Glocks with no purpose other than to make them fail, and they seldom do. I saw a story where a guy put a .45 Glock in a sock, soaked the whole thing in salt water, then let the sock and gun sit out for a week. Predictably, it rusted - badly, the photos were horrifying - but still reportedly functioned without a hitch. I believe he used it in an IDPA match after that, I have to wonder what the other competitors thought.

So, yes, clean it to avoid damage, but don't worry too much.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
No. Glocks are completely invincible and exist outside the normal laws of physics and metallurgy. :biggrin:
I read on the interweb someplace ( I can't remember where) that they can shoot around corners too! :wink:

Certainly a good idea to clean it, but just for your peace of mind, I'd say the odds of it being damaged to the point of impacting function are pretty much zero. People do absolutely ridiculous things to Glocks with no purpose other than to make them fail, and they seldom do. I saw a story where a guy put a .45 Glock in a sock, soaked the whole thing in salt water, then let the sock and gun sit out for a week. Predictably, it rusted - badly, the photos were horrifying - but still reportedly functioned without a hitch. I believe he used it in an IDPA match after that, I have to wonder what the other competitors thought.

So, yes, clean it to avoid damage, but don't worry too much.
There is a big difference between the torture tests some bored folks do to their equipment and taking appropriate actions to prevent the possibility of long-term damage. Personally, I would NEVER knowingly carry ANY gun that had been put through some of those extreme torture tests. Not because they didn't survive and function at the end of the test, but, rather, because the POTENTIAL for some sort of failure in that particular gun has just gone through the roof.

It is just too easy to just detail strip the gun and dry, clean and lubricate it properly, not to do so.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Yep, internal metal parts will rust. A good cleaning and lube should fix it up though. Also in the future, prior to going fishing, do a good cleaning and lube with a water displacing lube on metal parts.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
I read on the interweb someplace ( I can't remember where) that they can shoot around corners too! :wink:

There is a big difference between the torture tests some bored folks do to their equipment and taking appropriate actions to prevent the possibility of long-term damage. Personally, I would NEVER knowingly carry ANY gun that had been put through some of those extreme torture tests. Not because they didn't survive and function at the end of the test, but, rather, because the POTENTIAL for some sort of failure in that particular gun has just gone through the roof.

It is just too easy to just detail strip the gun and dry, clean and lubricate it properly, not to do so.
Agreed 100%.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Could water damage internal parts of my glock?
No, not per se. But rust or corrosion could following such dunkings certainly could, absolutely. Good cleaning, down to all surfaces of all parts you can access. Might want to consider something like a Dunk-It, if your guns are going to get such regular dunkings. Fresh water's bad enough. In salt water, I'd be particularly meticulous about any cleanings.

I imagine some of the military types in the room could answer succinctly about such heavier maintenance and cleaning procedures that exist when guns are regularly subjected to such environments.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I've been around guns all my life like most have.I' have a gl 19 and gl26.After the gen4 gl23 came out i bought one,that a store had on sale during labor day in 2011..I bike ride a good bit for the exercise.I rode it probably every other day.I would sweat a little,but,not that much during this time,which was in the fall and winter.

I went to show a friend of mine the gl23,maybe in feb of 2012.I went to unload it,and got the mag out.I couldn't rack the slide,at all.I had probably ran at least 500 rds thru it,no problems.I had never had come across,a problem like that before.I decided to shoot the bullet out,and see what happens.It fired fine.

I broke the gun down,but,i didn't have it under a light,and really didn't give it a close look,like i should have..I took it to a range and ran 200 rds thru it,no problems.A couple of days later,i carried it again,riding.I got back home one day,and went to break it apart.I couldn't even get the mag out this time..

I have a good friend who is a glock armourer,and gave it to him to look at.I wish i had saved the pictures of it,but,they made me sick.When he broke it down,it looked like,i had buried it under water.It was corroded.It just never entered my mind,that the salt from my body would seep thru a holster.I never noticed the holster was wet.Even as corroded as it was,we took it out,and shot and shot,and shot.

He asked me,if i wanted to send it back to glock,and just see,what they say.I told him to go for it,but,i knew,it was my fault,not glocks.He called me back,sometime later,and said,glock would sell me a reconditioned one for 300.00,or,a new one for 350.00.I chose the latter.

Tough and expensive lesson learned.Even salt from your body can damage one,which,like i said,it never entered my mine,and not that quick,either.i hadn't been long from starting back to bike riding.The holster below is what i was using.I bet,i won't use it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,201 Posts
If you use WD-40 to clean the water out, make sure you clean the WD-40 out afterwards.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
IMHO, a detail strip is not neccessary. Like others have said field strip clean. lube, reassemble. shoot and enjoy! I checked out quite a few of our issued Glocks (mine included) that took a dunk. I don't recall any that were not functional afterwards. On the other hand I can personally attest to holsters, radios, and handcuffs being ruined after being dunked in brackish/ saltwater. YMMV.

·
8,501 Posts
It's toast. I'll give you $50 for it.

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
I'll give you $55:09:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts