Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
Close my eyes, pull the trigger... It turns out I AM right...

Seriously, learning to focus on the target instead of the front sight improved my shooting dramatically. I know others would disagree, but those were my results.

Late last year I returned to repeat a couple shooting classes I attended several years ago. It quickly became obvious to me that when I subconsciously returned to the prescribed front sight press technique advocated there, my accuracy immediately diminished. As soon as I again became threat-focused, I quit missing.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He just doesn't know what he doesn't know, no more or less. Another perfect example of a training issue.

Simply stated, sights are a crutch most of the time in SD related gun play. Leatham has finally come to the same epiphany I had back in 81. He states as much in that video clip claiming it's actually a hindrance to rapid shots on threat.

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
But but! This guy!
"How to Instantly Go From Buckshot to Bull's-eye's On EVERY SHOT!"

That's all I need to see. The only truth in that Kool-ade is the bull part.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Over on another site, I found this gem from a poster--------

If your hard focus is on the target, unless very close, you will miss, a lot. Under 10yds, flash sight picture works fine for decent hits, beyond that, lose the front sight & you rely on l luck to hit the target, especially if it & you are moving.

People just don't know what they don't know, and most are just too damned stubborn to believe otherwise, even when an emeritus like Leatham speaks to the issue.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
He just doesn't know what he doesn't know, no more or less. Another perfect example of a training issue.

Simply stated, sights are a crutch most of the time in SD related gun play. Leatham has finally come to the same epiphany I had back in 81. He states as much in that video clip claiming it's actually a hindrance to rapid shots on threat.
Sweet Lord the hornets nest you're stirring up :biggrin2: I've said before in other forums that I do pretty well when I just point center mass and take a shot compared to having that perfect dots lined up, focus on front sight (which I can't really even do because my eyes won't let me crisply see just the front sight) method, and I got digitally crucified. This is what I was saying in a thread a few weeks back, the "right way" changes all the time. You've seen how they trained in the 40s and 50s, then it changed again, and then we reverted back a little, then we got all tactical, and now we're back to "just point the dang thing at their upper area and pull the trigger for petes sake". I know, over-generalizing, but you get my point.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet Lord the hornets nest you're stirring up :biggrin2: I've said before in other forums that I do pretty well when I just point center mass and take a shot compared to having that perfect dots lined up, focus on front sight (which I can't really even do because my eyes won't let me crisply see just the front sight) method, and I got digitally crucified. This is what I was saying in a thread a few weeks back, the "right way" changes all the time. You've seen how they trained in the 40s and 50s, then it changed again, and then we reverted back a little, then we got all tactical, and now we're back to "just point the dang thing at their upper area and pull the trigger for petes sake". I know, over-generalizing, but you get my point.
Nah, now all the blame can be squarely placed on the worlds top shooter and record holder. lol

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
Over on another site, I found this gem from a poster--------

If your hard focus is on the target, unless very close, you will miss, a lot. Under 10yds, flash sight picture works fine for decent hits, beyond that, lose the front sight & you rely on l luck to hit the target, especially if it & you are moving.

People just don't know what they don't know, and most are just too damned stubborn to believe otherwise, even when an emeritus like Leatham speaks to the issue.
The logic defies itself. With a moving shooter and a moving target at distances beyond ten yards, few if any are scoring front sight press hits.

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
Have always been taught the opposite.

Look forward to trying this method next time at the range! This would also cut down on time needed for lining the sights up which would produce faster rounds on threat. Thanks!
It takes a bit of practice and, at least in my case, a bit of experienced instruction.

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
Leatham is just admitting to what the top competitive shooters have known all along. If they all 'fessed up to their actual techniques, they wouldn't be the top competitive shooters for very long.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Leatham is just admitting to what the top competitive shooters have known all along. If they all 'fessed up to their actual techniques, they wouldn't be the top competitive shooters for very long.
That's a pretty good counter to all the naysayers "works for the record holders..so why aren't you doing it too?".

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
I can see it for me at my next range visit too. "Holy crap, lil dude in the wheelchair is shooting with his eyes closed..RUN!
I know you have seen this one before, but still...

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Lol.

Well, I think shooting with your eyes closed would be fine with everyone as long as the recoil didn't start turning the wheelchair....
Nah, I'm basically a human cannon. When I start shooting the extremely high caliber stuff, upon recoil I just roll back a little and then put myself back into place for the next shot :biggrin2:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Doesn't all this really depend on the distances involved? The size of the target? The time available to make the shot?

What are they shooting at in the video? A whole 5 yards? At the "A" zone of an IPSC target? Hardly a difficult shot. What if they were trying to put their shots into a 2" circle? Man, I bet sights might be a factor then. (Hint: If the ability to whack 2" dots at 5 yards consistently is not in your repertoire, you're not doing it right.)

Reactions: G-man* and Bad Bob

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
Doesn't all this really depend on the distances involved? The size of the target? The time available to make the shot?

What are they shooting at in the video? A whole 5 yards? At the "A" zone of an IPSC target? Hardly a difficult shot. What if they were trying to put their shots into a 2" circle? Man, I bet sights might be a factor then. (Hint: If the ability to whack 2" dots at 5 yards consistently is not in your repertoire, you're not doing it right.)
Of course they are. Brownie nor anyone else will advocate a point shoulder shot where a precision shot is called for.

Reactions: AzQkr
1 - 20 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.