Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that many CW holster makers offer horsehide at an increased price (I guess because they shoot more cows than horses).

What are the advantages of horsehide. I'm not interested in appearance (it's a concealed holster, for Pete's sake) but functionality, etc. What would make it worth the extra expense?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a Horsehide Crossbreed Supertuck holster (IWB) and here is what I was told.

The Horsehide grain is "tighter" and therefore more resistant/impervious to sweat.

I live in CA. and it can get pretty warm during the summer.

I think it was a $10-15 option, so it wasn't a deal breaker.

I have no complaints about my Horsehide holster. I do wear it without an undershirt at times, and have no problems with the holster against bare skin.

YMMV

·
Registered
487 Posts
horse

Horsehide is much stiffer and more water and sweat resistant than any cut of cow or bull hide. I prefer it for gunleather....:danceban:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
A horsehide holster can be thinner than cowhide, yet just as stiff... Horsehide might be better for humid climates, too...

·
Registered
236 Posts

The Age Old Holster Question.
This is the United States, not France.
Generally we eat cows if they are not making milk. We ride horse and used to feed dogs with horse meat.
:aargh4::argue::danceban:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I have the Crossbreed Supertuck in Horsehide, I sweat, it is supposed to handle sweat better, it does, I like it.

Joker1

·
Registered
40,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The Age Old Holster Question.
Now that's funny. I don't care who you are.

It looks like the horsehide may be a better option for a big guy in Florida. But then, I carry a Glock, so sweat shouldn't be a big deal.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I've sometimes thought about the horsehide for a holster, but I've never had a problem with the cowhide. After many years, some of my older hoslters are still just perfect.
To me it wouldn't matter much.:blink::icon_neutral:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a Supertuck in cowhide and couldn't be happier. I like the black color vs the natural of the horsehide. If the horsehide were cheaper I probably would have gone with that.

Before I purchased my Supertuck I asked a family friend who has probably over 50 years experience with guns and leather (he makes holster, sheaths, quivers, etc for himself and friends). He stated to go with whatever is cheaper and that horsehide isn't better but equivalent.

I know this is just one guys opinion but I don't sweat a lot around my midsection and cowhide was cheaper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts