Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's official. I'm a dangerous man.

Being a younger man in a workplace populated principally by middle aged women, and I'm just being honest here folks, you can get away with pushing the sheeple envelope a little bit sometimes. For example through careful experimentation I have learned my Leatherman multitool is socially acceptable. I have noticed some raised eyebrows and a general rush of alarm when it comes out, but the fact that I can reassemble the pencil sharpener or screw in the screw that holds the bulletin board up and no one else can (besides the custodian who may not be available) lets me get away with it.

Plus, a number of my coworkers are traditional people who expect me to do certain "duties" like catching mice, killing vermin, stacking textbooks, etc. due to my age/gender. I've even pounded a few nails, and helped replace a ballast. And I don't mind, in all honesty. It's an easy way to be civil, and I see light campus maintainence as part of my job.

Anyway I've been here a while now and I've got a rep now... I'm always the guy with the pliers, the duct tape, the flashlight, or whatever else you need. I have kept the knife under wraps despite using it every day... I could write a pamplet on discrete knife usage, I swear. I don't think they'll ever be ready for the knife.

And this morning, the bombshell dropped. One of my coworkers admitted she was afraid of me. I thought she was kidding so I laughed, but she was serious. When I pressed the matter, the response was something like "Because you're almost always prepared... it's scary."

I asked well what's wrong with that, I did fix that overhead screen in your room one time after all, it's not like it works against you.

And then it came out: "Because that means you think about what you're going to do if something bad happens ahead of time. I think if anyone ever tried to mess with you, you might kill them. That makes me nervous."

Amazing. Keep in mind I do not talk about my interests in defensive shooting and related materials with these people. At all. Ever. I don't know whether to gloat, be dismayed, or consider being lower profile.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Euclidean said:
It's official. I'm a dangerous man.

And then it came out: "Because that means you think about what you're going to do if something bad happens ahead of time. I think if anyone ever tried to mess with you, you might kill them. That makes me nervous."
Is this womans picture next to the word :sheep: in the dictionary.

This sounds like someone that has some serious issues with life, not anything to do with the way you carry your self. It sounds like you have things well in hand as far as keeping a low profile.

I wouldn't change anything. Unfortunialty in life, their are always people that sway out to the extremes in beliefs.

EUC man, keep on keeping on.:hand10:

That's my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'm no expert, and I'm surely not as ready for the bad things as I should be. (Though I'm getting there.) But I can sympathize with you somewhat. There is one lady that I work with, nice woman and all, but I know that I worry her. In fact I brought it up to her in a joking way the other day and she admitted that I "worried her." The reason I mentioned it was because I could tell it was there and wanted to get it out in the open. My advice, for what it's worth, is to continue what you are doing. Be extra nice to this person and try to demonstrate through your actions that being prepared isn't such a negative thing. And that even though you may be willing to use violence it would only be when and if necessary. I believe that you have said that you teach in an inner city school. If someone became very violent and needed to be stopped, I bet this person would not be that upset if you were the one to do it.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
LOL..... Imagine that ! silly woman...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My own fiance said she was afraid of me when she started to see I had an interest in guns. At first I couldn't figure it out, I had never displayed any violence towards her and our arguements were always fairly tame. Then I realized her family doesn't have any firearms and I don't believe he father has ever fired a gun, she just hadn't been exposed to it. Plus there is only one male in the family and 3 females so there's alot of estrogen there. She's gradually becoming more comfortable, especially where the CHL is concearned. After I explained why I wanted to start carrying when I turn 21 she started to understand. It's not to be macho or cool its so that I am better able to keep anyone in my new family from being harmed.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Euclidean said:
Actually, IT did not come out. If someone was running through the school tossing grenades (Read Terror at Beslan) I seriously doubt that she would have a problem with you dealing with it even if it meant killing the perp. What really scares her about you is that you are a constant reminder that bad things can happen and she, along with just about everyone else, would be powerless to do anything about it.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Euc, I would take it as a huge compliment!!

She thinks your a true man's man. Only one thing left to do, cue the banana's.

:banana: :danceban: :banana: :danceban: :banana:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Todays "men" are supposed to be weak (I can't spell ecsmascaled) and more "feminan" now days. They aren't supposed to be strong, prepared, and brave.

This is what is being taught, it was taught earlier in the cities and is just now getting a great foothold in the country/Rural areas.

This is what the government wants, people to be un-prepared so that they will run to the government to "save them".

Wayne

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Euc - you carry right on fella! :smilez:

Wayne may have a point re the emasculated male these days - the seeming stigma attached to the old ''hunter/gatherer'' image.

Then too yes, appearing to be prepared does for some reason psych some folks out a bit - they see you as (in fact true) in this con' yellow which does not sit well for them in their nice quiet lil' con' white world! I know the Leatherman thing - ''Hey Chris - got that thingie with you?" Haha - off to the rescue!

True enough tho - if ''stuff'' happens it will be you they'll look to for protection, guidance and general leadership!! I am told even at my old age I look ''scary'' - or come over that way - but it ain't any big deal macho thing on my part, just perhaps that I appear alert and hold myself as being a non-victim or something, who knows!

Oh - of course if in S&S mode then folks only see ol' phart! :18:

·
Registered
51 Posts
You should be glad that she noticed.

Last night my seven year daughter, Rose, sat next to me on the couch and said: "I feel so safe when you're around, knowing that if anybody tried to hurt us, you would protect us." (she knows that I'm carrying all the time)

That really makes a dad feel good!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
People like her scare me to tell the truth. They are prepared for nothing in life especially if it is bad. I cannot imagine that a leatherman could scare anyone. It boggles the mind.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've been told several times that I scare people. I'm a mild mannered 40ish fat man, and a major computer geek. Still:

My boss told me that I scare some of the other workers
My daughter tells me that her boyfriends won't come to our house
My neighbor's wife hasn't said 3 words to me in 5 years

I'm of the opinion that the reason I scare people is simply because I don't walk around with my head in the sand. I'm sure that grnzbra has the right idea. My alert attitude reminds people that there are things that they should be alert for.

Oh well, I'm not planning on changing the way that I live, so they're just going to have to deal with it.

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
Maybe you should just tell her that you were a Boy Scout, and always like to be prepared! :confused:

·
Registered
810 Posts
People like her are the future. All sheep, running to the government to save them from all the bad things that they know can't happen.
Sorry.... about to start a rant about sheeple -
Where I work, about 1/3 of the people here carry guns and even they say that I'm scary. Good! I am not a sheep. I still have all my body parts, society hasn't managed to take any.
I'd be happy with what she said. You are you, prepared and thinking. That sure beats being a sheep.

·
Registered
473 Posts
a guy at work says the same thing about me. i've never even raised my voice at him. once he said that, i just couldn't resist telling him there are 2 kinds of people.
predators and prey, and i'm not food,lol.

·
Registered
134 Posts
psshawwww! my ugly mug scares people everywhere i go! especially little children.

my display of spent bullets 'scared' someone here at work. had to put them away.
my subscription to SWAT magazine 'scared' someone else (might have been the same person who knows?). i think i'll subscribe to SOF here as well.
oddly enough, the one time my shirt rode up over my holstered pistol it didnt really scare anyone, they simply asked my boss if he knew i was carrying. which he did, and he confirmed i was licensed.
one of my folding pocket knives apparently scared some east coast guest auditor who was in our office. well, that plus my collection of 2A posters and the best targets from the range plastered on the walls of my cube. oddly enough, that auditor kept insisting i was some criminal who was actively searching for ways to embezzle from my employer, and thus recommended that three seperate people have 'hands on' the checks we recieve in the mail and deposit at the bank. i swear if he called me a 'potential thief' just once more while he was here i was going to point at my Insurance License and explain how i had to submit prints to the state and be cleared by a federal background check simply to hold my job, and then whip out my CHL and explain how i even volunteered another set of prints to the feds so i could carry and be exempt from telephoned background checks every time i bought a gun. i'm sure the look on his face would have been a kodak moment.

·
Super Moderator
23,586 Posts
My advice, for what it's worth, is to continue what you are doing. Be extra nice to this person and try to demonstrate through your actions that being prepared isn't such a negative thing.
Actions speak louder than words, hence continue on, Euc!

This sounds like someone that has some serious issues with life, not anything to do with the way you carry your self. It sounds like you have things well in hand as far as keeping a low profile.
You're a gentleman here on the forum, so I imagine you are also a gentleman "on the job" I believe this is her fear of the unknown and the unanticipated because your quiet demeanor reminds her own denial.

I'm of the opinion that the reason I scare people is simply because I don't walk around with my head in the sand. I'm sure that grnzbra has the right idea. My alert attitude reminds people that there are things that they should be alert for.
She isn't totally Con White, because she noticed your preparedness. She's afraid of being afraid, of the environment going "Con Yellow" or even "Orange" because she implicitly denies it. She is struggling with some dark fears in there. The fact she even told you shows that she respects you, and trusts you, explicitly.

Maybe you should just tell her that you were a Boy Scout, and always like to be prepared!
All things considered, I think she paid you one heck of a compliment!

You should be proud!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
It's people like her that scare me.

Euc, I hope you'll be OK at school, because when faculty is afraid of you, you never know what's next. And it's silly, because whever they need something done and are incapable or unwilling to do it themselves, they turn to you, and then they're afraid because you can do all these things. It's stupid and it's scary, and it put you on the "watch out, I think he's a nut" list. If you surf the web from a school computer, I hope you clear the cache and cookies when you're done. They don't need to know you surf around looking at scary guns.

I do agree with Wayne that it seems in today's society, men are supposed to be weak. I think self-reliance scares people because they think it's unsocial, because it means you don't stand there like a dummy and turn everything into a group project. And unsocial is scary. :sheep:

Preparedness also seems to be associated with survivalists, and survivalists have the unforunate bad stereotype of being the creepy, hairy guys living deep in the woods in bunkers.:rolleyes:

I'm a 100 pound female and I've been I'm scary for the same reasons. Sheesh. I've always respected prepared people. Those are the kind of people I prefer to associate with. Men should be prepared for basic things.

·
Super Moderator
18,099 Posts
I don't know whether to gloat, be dismayed, or consider being lower profile
Be glad...:wave:

I'd rather have one person that had a clue be around me than 500 that didnt...

Its good to know that there is at least a couple of teachers on this board that are "prepared". If you can teach this state of mind to your students, the world wil lbe a better place...:king:

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Euc, I work at an all girls college and have been carrying a major (3.75" to 5" blade) folding knife since I first set foot on the campus almost 11 years ago. I have been surprised by how little commotion it has caused. I guess part of the reason for that is that many of them have seen me use it to cut computer cable, open boxes, even cut a hole in dry wall for a wall box. I try to be prepared for anything that happens, too. I was an Eagle Scout and took the motto, Be Prepared, to heart back at age 11 when I joined the Boy Scouts. There have been times and will be times when I am not totally prepared, but it won't be for a lack of trying.

I have been known to scare people as well, which used to drive me crazy. I stand 5'8" tall and until age 40 had never weighed more than 150 lbs. Since 40 is another story. I am still not a big man. I finally came to realize that there are other ways of being intimidating besides size. Being a computer guru is intimidating to many people. I was the director of information technology here for 7 years. Being the person who either has or can find all the answers is intimidating to many people. About 4 years ago I went back to being a reference librarian. Not to long ago one of the students told me that I just know too much. I am a sponge, I love gaining knowledge. I also love solving problems. These traits make being a computer guru or reference librarian great careers for me. (BTW my login name was inspired by the students here. When I came they started calling me ComputerMan George. After a short time that was shortened to CMG. For a while I had a customized license plate and since CMG was already taken and I have an earned doctorate I chose DR CMG. My wife had MS CMG. When I got my last login name for email it required that I have one non-alphanumeric character so I made it DR_CMG.)

I think that some of the reasons that I get so few problems with the knife and preparedness are: 1) I continue to develope relationships with the faculty, staff and students. When I came here as IT director I was in every office, classroom and dorm room at various time and became a familar person. I was working with various tools from screwdrivers to saws and the knife became just another tool. Now though I don't work with tools people have become accustomed to seeing me with a big knife in my back pocket. 2) I think continuity helps too. I never really have an entire group of new people meet me. I give an orientation to the new students in the fall and they are always accompanied by other students who know me. They always introduce me as the man to go see for answers whether about school, life, boy friends, or whatever. That makes them see me as a friend. 3) The other thing I think helps is that I have never tried to hide the knife. It sticks up out of my back pocket and the clip is clearly visible. I pull it out and use it whenever I need to and have never shown any hesitancy about it. When I was carrying a Cold Steel Voyager with a 5" blade I had some ask me if it wasn't illegal and I was able to share with them that according to Alabama state criminal code and case law: a knife that folds and can be carried in my pants pocket is not a weapon even if concealed. That satisfied them. Of course being in central Alabama may also be a reason for a lack of problems. Everybody carries a pocket knife of some sort here.

Hang in there and keep helping so maybe the people around you will start to evaluate you on what you do and who you are not what you have in your pocket.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts