Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a long-term CPAP user and a big concern of mine is the effect of the CPAP on my ability to hear "bump-in-the-night" sounds and the subsequent need to react in a timely fashion. My wife can assist in letting me know if she hears anything, however, at times she is a pretty deep sleeper (now that my snoring is no longer a factor)! :image035:

I'd like to hear from other CPAP users regarding this topic.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I would recommend an audio alarm system on your doors and windows, even if it is not monitored.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've been on Resmed S9 for 5 years now....my wife is my backup with her own handgun on her night stand.....and I have SAM Security System to alert us in case there is any breakin while we're asleep, plus we have a Shorkie as perimter security sensing backup....:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had a CPAP for over 10 years . I had some of the same concerns , so , I have motion sensors around the perimeter of the house including the driveway. Also sleep with 2 Shi-poos ( small dogs ). My wife and I both have a handgun within an arms length and a shotgun and an AR-15 behind the bedroom door . We live in the country so our preparations may be considered over-kill . ( no pun intended )

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
My doggie can hear deer walking in the yard at night. He is the first line of my home defense strategy. I can tell by his bark if he is simply warning off deer or if someone is approaching our home.

Reactions: DZUS and papavball

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Has to be the BEST one going, and most everything is informational. I too, am a long time CPAP user. Last year switched to the Res-Med S9, which is really not as good as my old unit, but it serves the purpose. I more recently went with the Dream Wear nose pillow mask, which basically is 100% quiet, and usually can hear normal night noises. But like you, we live in a rural area, and have handguns, and a shotgun within easy reach in the bedroom. Our Golden Retriever had to be put down this past summer,and we miss her so much, but the wife doesn't want to get another that sheds so much. So it'll be a smaller one this time.

I've had a CPAP for over 10 years . I had some of the same concerns , so , I have motion sensors around the perimeter of the house including the driveway. Also sleep with 2 Shi-poos ( small dogs ). My wife and I both have a handgun within an arms length and a shotgun and an AR-15 behind the bedroom door . We live in the country so our preparations may be considered over-kill . ( no pun intended )

·
Super Moderator
19,884 Posts
I use a CPAP, but I can still hear things going bump in the night. Plus various of the 5 mutts here will sound an alarm if there's so much as a cat on the back party wall.

Of potentially greater concern is being able to rip the mask off and not get fouled in the hose or headgear if immediate response is necessary. I've rehearsed that maneuver a few times, pretty much whenever I replace a mask. Ripping the mask off can break the little plastic clips that attach the headgear, so the mask being replaced becomes the sacrificial practice piece.

·
Banned
894 Posts
I use a cpap. i think the four summers working in a foundry have had a greater effect on my hearing than the cpap. I can hear footsteps in the house over the cpap noise with no problem, and the dog alerts to strange noises. You learn to hear different sounds and to not hear the cpap. Used to sleep through 18 wheelers down shifting on the highway, and then wake up because the faucet was dripping.

Reactions: Rockymonster

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CPAP or not, get a dog. Doesn't really matter which breed or size. It will hear an intruder long before you will.
Get that advice all the time. I like dogs, I just don't want to own one. Interestingly, our cat is a great early warning critter in that he hears people at the front door before we do and bolts for the bedroom during the day. At night he sleeps on the bed and is the first one to hear noises, and with the subsequent commotion of him jumping off the bed I usually wake right up. Being a cat, he's not always on the bed all night long.....

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I am a CPAP user but still a light sleeper. I hear those noises in the night
Hotel Rig.jpg

·
Registered
41,518 Posts
Me and my CPAP will sleep right through a blazing gun battle, dog, alarm, etc. I am dead to the world.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not only do I have a MPAP machine but I'm a heavy sleeper to begin with. I've got a Ring stick up cam at the front door that sets off my phone alarm, two Canary cameras covering the front and back halls that also signal my phone and an 80 lb. Australia Shepherd that lets me know if anyone (or thing) gets near the doors or windows.

As for getting the gear off of my face: we had a false alarm a while ago. I found myself with gun and flashlight in hand covering the back door from across the living room. Afterwards I foundy mask and hose still attached to the machine which was still running (and beeping it's alarm). The wife had her phone out and ready to call 911.

As it turned out, it was just critters. The grease trap had been pulled out of the gas grill and was laying on the patio.

Everyone you meet knows something you don't.
- H. Jackson Brown

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
I am a CPAP user. I have the CPAP running plus a white noise generator and I have ZERO problem hearing bumps around the house from the critters.

We recently added a dog to the mix. No one even walks past the house on the sidewalk without me knowing now.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Another C pap user. I have a very silent one and since I sleep much better now I have no worries about being quickly aroused if something goes bump in the night. Since I'm better rested I'm more alert on waking. Happened last night. I was up and armed in a couple of seconds. It was the wife moving around since her clock is screwed up for a while as she returned from nearly 3 weeks in Japan Wednesday. No worries no issues. I was totally awake and alert. She slept out on the recliner from 5 - 11 am.

If you have a silent unit I don't see how it would interfere with catching the BG (or insomniac wife ).

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
I love my dream wear mask.

Welcome to the forum. Has to be the BEST one going, and most everything is informational. I too, am a long time CPAP user. Last year switched to the Res-Med S9, which is really not as good as my old unit, but it serves the purpose. I more recently went with the Dream Wear nose pillow mask, which basically is 100% quiet, and usually can hear normal night noises. But like you, we live in a rural area, and have handguns, and a shotgun within easy reach in the bedroom. Our Golden Retriever had to be put down this past summer,and we miss her so much, but the wife doesn't want to get another that sheds so much. So it'll be a smaller one this time.

·
Registered
426 Posts
CPAP or not, get a dog. Doesn't really matter which breed or size. It will hear an intruder long before you will.
"Get a dog" is a pretty simplistic answer to a complicated question. What if I live in an apartment or condo that doesn't allow dogs? What if I or my spouse are allergic to dogs? How about daily doggie duties that are not at all practical for me? The OP asked about Cpap concerns, not pets or armaments.

I also use a Cpap and trust my spouse and home alarm will wake me if there is an intruder. Mine is completely silent and I sleep better with than without.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
It all comes down to what your particular situation is. As noted, some of us have dogs, spouses, and alarms and others do not. Ideally an alarm, dogs that alert, and a spouse as a second set of ears can help. I have awoken plenty of times in the middle of the night to turn off the CPAP and see if it is something I need to get my lazy ass out of bed for. Usually it turns out to be a friendly critter (or them less than friendly armadillos that I'd like to go Bill Murray on).

Reactions: Rockymonster

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was surprised how much I could suddenly hear. Prior to my CPAP my snoring and bad sleeping found me unable to hear anything. Now I hear the kids coming and going all night (sigh).

1 - 20 of 60 Posts